Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nova X125 or something else?

For a weapon mount, I would not recommend a pen style. The runtimes aren't as long, and heatsinking is poor. Plus, they won't preform as well in extreme cold or heat. And 125mW is usually too much for a weapon mount. 50mW is plenty to see a very visible beam. Here are my choices:

Tactical Ultrafire host Green laser 50mW£*>5~200mw green laser pointer£*>Laser&lighting products£*>www.0-like.com

Rayfoss (waterproof would be nice in case it rains)

$21.66 New Keychain Green Beam Laser Pointer Pen Flashlight 30mW/50mW/100mW - BudgetGadgets.com (least recommended)

This won't be weapon mounted. I only stick with optics on my toys now. I might consider an IR weapon laser at some point, once i get some NV:D

f22warzone, thanks for clarifying the laser I'm selling, which BTW I'm asking for $100.00 LESS than the actual retail price. Personally, I think it's a GREAT DEAL. The ALPHA 125 is in A-1 condition, FDA compliant with all the safety features, & comes in a nice ALUMINUM BOX. Total run time is under 3 hours total, so it's basically Brand New, & if you knew me, you'd know I treat my lasers like GOLD. They all look like the day I bought them................. rob

Thanks for the info Rob but im really looking for a "pen size" laser.

OK,

I've searched and searched, I've read and read and my eyes are beginning to hurt.

I think I'll either do the Nova X125

or the Optotronics 150mw

Optotronics Product Details

It's seems the NOVA is a "better" laser but the Opto is 50% less expensive and has decent reviews although I have read some bad ones too.

So, do i get the Opto 150 or the NOVA x125?

Thanks,

Casey

In terms of beam diameter, both lasers are comparable, in fact the beam on my opto is thinner than that on my CNI. The opto 150 certainly has more power and I've been able to leave mine on for up to 2 minutes without mode hopping or noticeable drops in ouput power. In fact, I've never seen my opto mode hop at all. I'm sure the CNI has slightly better components, especially for moddability, but if you don't intend to take it apart, then go with the opto. It has a higher output power out of the box, and great beam specs and stability. I also remember reading somewhere that the opto uses custom KTP and NdYVO4 crystals compared to the cheaper generic newwish lasers. Plus you save about $100 usd, which can be used to purchase another laser or goggles.

If you go with the opto, expect 170-180mw peak and 150-160mw average. The nova x125 will probably do 140-150mw peak and 130-140mw average. Either way it's up to you. Regardless of which one you go with you won't be disappointed. However, personally, I'd save the $100 and go with the opto. If you go with the CNI, you should get it through the CNI group buy.

Personally myself I would go with a 2nd hand nova x125 or a new x125 as no matter what a nova won't let you down.... my x125 is second hand has a 136 mw avg with peaks about 138-142 it's the most stable dpss I have ever seen and the beam diameter is smaller and tighter then the opto 50 I had but sold as I had no need for 2 small pen lasers. because the opto 50 was cheaper I didn't care if I broke it and once did a laser show with it.... it was on for about 5-10 min straight with just a fan above it and it kept on going till the end of the show about 3 hours later ....1 min breaks in-between and the only thing that stopped it at the end was dead batteries : ) so yes it's pretty freaking tough but I still like my CNI more then it not even for power but for the feel of build quality it just feels better in your hand.

Ok guys. I found this in the for sale section

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/optotronics-150mw-pen-sale-43266.html

It looks like he had it up for sale a couple times but never closed the deal with anyone. I paid him for it last night and hopefully will get it in a couple days.

I know I'm rolling the dice being that he doesn't have much history here but sometimes you just got to trust people. I'll let you guys know when I get it and how I like it. I'll probably end up getting the NOVA too!