Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not FS: 'Pocket Pal' & Leadlight! - Request Power!

Re: F.S. 'Pocket Pal' Blu-ray Lasers! - Over 100mW

Great. Then, thats all I need. The only thing remaining is to get my paypal to work  :'(
I just sent them an email and I hope to get an answer tomorrow. Without my paypal I can't buy any of the components I need... But it should be working sometime this week, then I will order. I hope the flex drive becomes available soon.

EDIT: Oh and there was one more thing. When using this diode, it will be a burning laser right? How visible is the beam in a lit room? I know there are videos but some say different cameras pic up the light differently and that it depends on the wavelength.
Would it be possible to use a red or a green diode as well?
What is coolest and why? :cool: ;D

jayrob

Once you build one, you will be hooked on this hobby. You will have to build reds and blu-rays! For a red burner at above 200mW's, you will want to use a conservative duty cycle. Like maybe 1 min. on/30 sec. off.

For an 803T blu-ray, you can probably leave it on for 5 or more minutes if you keep it at around 125mA's. (this will usually give you 110mW's with an AixiZ acrylic lens)

Some have run tests on these 803T diodes and have left them running at this current range for extended periods without heatsinks. Others have pushed these diodes to over 170mA's and more! At that kind of current, you must use a very conservative duty cycle.

Personally, I have been feeling pretty comfortable at around 145mA's these days.

Blu-ray lasers seem dim in daylight, or even in room light. But at night, or in the dark, they are awesome at this power! Both red and blu-ray will burn good.

For the best beam visibility, you want a 532nm (green) laser. Green lasers are much more complex than these (DVD burner diode) red and blu-ray lasers. There is a series of crystals that an 808nm beam must go through in order to get the 532nm green beam. There aren't many who can make them DIY (if any). Two very good companies are Nova, and Optotronics. Quality green lasers are expensive though…

M.B., your going to love this one! :)

M. Bouchard Rebuild 10-14-08.jpg

It's one of those diodes that is much 'bluer' visually. This 105mW blu-ray, is just as bright visually as my 155mW 6X blu-ray! :cool:

After I saw the beam in the dark, and compared it with some of my other blu-rays, I wanted to keep this diode. But I have a few good ones already, so it's coming your way!
Jay

Now this is happening for real :D
I have ordered most components now but the flex drivers ares till not available. Could the rkcstr driver work / fit? I know that it needs a bit more power (around 5 voolts for red and 7 for blu-ray) and I am building red.

jayrob

This host uses 3 X AAA batteries, so I think you would have to use the 3.6 volt 10440 batteries with the rkcstr dirver. But you better check with rkcstr to find out if 12.6 volts (3 X 4.2 at full charge) is not too much voltage for the driver.

You may be able to use a 'blank' in one of the battery slots giving you 8.4 volts at full charge...
Jay

jayrob

Josh, your Pocket Pal laser will be in today's mail! (Wednesday)
Please let me know when you get it...
Jay
Josh Anderson 10-29-08.jpg

jayrob

Ricardo, I got your Pocket Pal done! Nice steady 118mW's...

Ricardo Lucas 10-31-08.jpg

I am including a free Uranium crackle glass marble with every laser now. These glow very bright with a blu-ray! :cool:

Apologies to those who bought lasers before I had these cool marbles.

Shipping tomorrow. (Friday)
Jay

jayrob

Re: F.S. 'Pocket Pal' & Leadlight! - Request Power

Robert M., your Leadlight blu-ray is set to the power that we had discussed for good longevity.

Please take a couple of minutes to read the included instruction sheet. :)

It will be in today's mail! (Wednesday)
Jay
Robert Marus 11-12-08.jpg