Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not exactly a laser pointer but.opinions on Diode?

Ashton

I asked this on CPF and some wiseguy mod deleted the link because it was eBay....

I'm looking at this laser:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200147188024&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

It has a 4' fiber, and the data sheet's here:
http://www.psplc.com/datasheets/jdsu/JU6300Series_041802.pdf

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am well aware of the dangers of IR lasers (otherwise I wouldn't even consider this) and I have the equipment to use it safely.

As of now, it's @ ~ $50, if it stays low I'm planning on buying it. Anyone think I'm being screwed? Any other Thoughts on it?

S

SenKat

Re: Not exactly a laser pointer but.opinions on Di

Nope - not screwed. I actually saw that earlier - and they are ALWAYS tempting to me ! :p

I like those little fibre coupled diodes for some reason, they are extremely difficult for me to NOT buy ! They can be modified by removing the fibre and adding different lenses and such....they are LOADS of fun !

G !

Ashton

:D awesome. Btw: anyone know where to get just goggles that block 927nm? :cool: For now I'm gonna be using an IR-sensative camera and HMD though once aligned and culminated, I'd like not to be tethered to a pwoer outlet for the camera/hmd power heh

couldnt you double the wave length and get a sapphire blue?

Ashton

millionaire said:
couldnt you double the wave length and get a sapphire blue?

I'm not familiar with how to double a laser of this magnatude to a blue color, but if I'm doing the math correctly, yes, you'd get a beautiful blue color. Certainly a fun expariment if I can find the proper crystals for low price. (if I do, I'll be sure to post pictures!)

I think it's not that simple to double a wavelength frequency, you need a specific wavelength with specific conditions, you can't just double any wavelength. Cause green lasers work this way: 808nm to 1064nm through a Yag something crystal (forgot the whole name) then it's doubled to 532nm with a KTP crystal, i asked someone if we couldn't just remove the Yag and double 808 to 404 and get blue, and the answer is no, and same goes for the second crystal, even if you had a 1064 diode and a KTP i think you wouldn't get 532nm. I'm not saying, everything I said here is absolutely true, just things I read and may have misunderstood :p.

Things

it would just be like a greenie, you'd have to find a certain crystal to turn 927nm into a blue colour, which would cost a bit!

things said:
it would just be like a greenie, you'd have to find a certain crystal to turn 927nm into a blue colour, which would cost a bit!
Would probably cost a lot of bits in my opinion lol

hay millionaire
in order to create 532nm light there are many ways but in a normal laser pointer they use the cheapest and most effectivet ways to get thiere. they use the first system you explained because it is the most cost affective and productive. but is is epssable to creat 532nm light using the kpt doubling agent and a 1064nm laser diode. this is actually much simpler but is less affective because 1064nm laser diodes are more expensive. that is simply teh reason they don't use it.

kool i still think it would be a sweet blue color he would get doubling it and it would be most likely able to burn using a 3 watt diode.

Ashton

I seem to have found how normal lasers make blue:

KingK from LC said:
Most blue DPSS lasers use Yttrium Garnet (Nd:YAG) and Lithium Triborate (LBO) crystals, I think that the Nd:YAG crystal lowers the wavelength from 808nm to 978nm or something like that, then the LBO doubles it to 473nm

I must be misreading that, because I thought Nd:YAGs were flashpump-driven industrial lasers...?

I might sometime get a cheapo ebayzer greenie and try fiddling it to see if I can make blue. It would be really neat if all you needed for turning a green (808nm --> Nd:YVO4 --> 1064 nm --> KTP --> 532 nm) into a blue (808nm --> KTP --> ~404nm) was to take out the Nd:YV04 or Nd:YAG. Probably not because if that was the case, there would be a lot more cheapo blues out there. Interesting experiment nonetheless.

Although, if Ashton's post is correct, LBO would be handy, turning a greenie into a bluey.
Try http://www.raicol.com/ for LBO crystals, however no prices are listed on the site. Group buy, anyone? I will contact them, see if their prices are anything within the realm of possibility.
How many people would be interested in a crystal that turns infrared into blue?
If there are enough I will start a thread for it.

lol 404 - laser not found

[edit]I contacted Raicol Crystals. Will let u know when I get a reply.
Remember this is something that will turn plentiful IR diodes into blueys straight up, by itself. IR diodes are in ANY disc drive remember!
[/edit]
How many people would be interested in a crystal that turns infrared into blue?
If there are enough I will start a thread for it.

lol 404 - laser not found

[edit]Done some more research. It seems that the LBO needs something like 1064 nm light to convert to blue however it is optically transparent from 160nm to 2600nm, so I will test it myself if this GB happens. I am getting WAY ahead of myself lol. Now they will turn out to be hella expensive hey...[/edit]

Things

haha 404 LOL ;D ;Dthat would be a pretty colour, although if it was that simple, i think it would have been done ;D

lol u cant use a ktp because it will filter through the 808nm thay are tuned to 1064 to freq double you could try BDO

Ashton

IF you can get a crystal to turn IR into blue, I'll sign up for one if it's <$50, two if they're <$25!