Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

noob with questions? (what else is new?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the forum and the subject of lasers. I am amazed at how much this industry has changed in the last 20 years.

I have a specific need and a couple of questions relating to that need.

I need to IR illuminate an area of approximately 50 feet at a distance of approximately 500 yards. I want something over 900nm. Say 940-980nm.

I would like it illuminated enough to take video using a CCD video camera with some level of detail when shot through a spotting scope. I would like it to be illuminated continuously for maybe a 6 hour period each night.

I have been looking at laser pointers as something to initially test but have these questions:

1. At that distance will a laser pointer that is "focusable" be able to open up the dot to that wide a spread and how does a person know how wide they can make the dot open up on any particular pointer without having to use a camera to test the pointer first?

2. If the "duty cycle" of a pointer won't handle this length of time, then could a person use two pointers and cycle power to one for a few seconds and then to the other, so as to keep the area illuminated?

3. Can anyone suggest a brand model pointer that might work for me?

4. And finally, if I use a (for instance) 250mw laser pointer, will the beam be "eye safe" at that distance and spread or would I need to reduce power even further and/or open the beam up even further. I guess the question really is, how much power would I need to illuminate the area at that distance and would that power level then be "eye safe" at that distance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ozark Harry

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and this....

37 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Enjoy your stay...

As to your question on IR illumination... I would use Night
surveillance LED IR projectors. They are inexpensive and safe.

We have had other discussions on using Lasers for this use.
A little research on the Forum should get you those Threads.

Jerry

Last edited:

Jaseth

Quoted SPAM
I am beginning to think that you are being paid by WL.
You are constantly posting about them and making them up to be a great company and now you are spamming new members with links to their products.
The OP asked for an IR laser which could stay on for 6 hours every night. The Krypton has no relation what so ever to either of those requests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you posting this spam?

I was thinking the same thing and he always does it right
after one of my posts...

I think he's in love with me... and I'm not flattered....:barf:

Jerry

Correction Jerry, check some of your welcome messages.....you posted them right after my post too. :barf:

Status
Not open for further replies.