Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Noob Here

jbuenavides

I've been lurking around browsing some thread for about a couple of days now.
I am fascinated by lasers and their fantastic colors and I am planning to get one before the new year. Would you mind recommending the best laser for a newbie like me?

GSS

Welcome jbuen,:)
Depends what you want and you mentioned colors.
I would start with a 3 kit of 301, 303's etc.. They are bascily the same laser as the 303's come with the star caps I think.
The 3 kit ones are a 650nm red, a 405nm purple, and a 532nm green.
They are all usually over 80mw's and focusable and share the same size battery's. For $30 total with a starter charger and some good safety glasses they are fun and you will learn..
If your not in the US then you need to follow your laws.

tmoney321

Welcome to the forum. I think the 300 series lasers are a nice place to start because they are cheap and easily obtainable. I love my higher end and custom lasers but still enjoy my cheapies. They helped me practice basic laser safety while I decided on my first class 4 lasers. Ive been into lasers for awhile so I still think its cool you can have a handheld 532nm DPSS for $9 because there was a time when that would cost thousands, like many things :).

And a tip from another newer member here (me) - add your location to your profile! It helps other members know the general area you are located for making recommendations etc. Search around the forum and browse older threads, there is so much great information here. Cheers!

Hi
Welcome to LPF the best forum around for learning and safety
Lots of nice people here and educated on all topics
Rich:)

Last edited:
Welcome to the LPF. There are many laser you can buy on eBay and as Peter, GSS, said the 301 and 303 lasers are a good place to start as they are among the least expensive to buy. I know the 532nm green ones are ~$6.00 each without batteries or the cheap chargers. You can also get them with 650nm red or 405nm violet. They will likely cost a little more around $10.00 each. These are all good starting lasers as they cost little.

jbuenavides

Thank you for the suggestions, I will go check it out and research more about it using this website and google search. I will drop a question if I find myself lost with some terms. :)

Lagomorpha

If you are completely new to lasers, always start with a 301 or 303. They are cheap and effective. Just be careful because they aren't the stables lasers in the bunch. They often times burn out if you're not careful with them, but if you are careful they are a great way to start, especially for the price. Also, make sure when you can to get a (good) pair of Laser Safety goggles/glasses.
I highly recommend an Eagle pair from Survival Laser or elsewhere
They are sorta pricey, but for keeping your vision, it's well worth it. Imagine, if you spend 40+ or so on a laser, then you can damn well afford to pay 40 for eye protection.
Here's the pair I got and they work great!
20191218_100150.jpg