Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Non-typical Hunting Laser Recommendation

I would still pick up a pair of safety glasses for a laser of this output. Im sure you will want to play with it around the house before you go hunting. At 300mW indoors you will need glasses. Outdoors slightly defocused afixed to a gun you wont have any issues.

I would still pick up a pair of safety glasses for a laser of this output. Im sure you will want to play with it around the house before you go hunting. At 300mW indoors you will need glasses. Outdoors slightly defocused afixed to a gun you wont have any issues.

Very understandable, but to be honest with you lasers scare the crap out of me and I probably wouldn't even use it indoors AT ALL haha. Probably hard for some of you guys to believe, but this will be on a gun, or battery hidden away so no one gets their hands on it.

Here is something to consider. I understand you need to illuminate animals with red light so as not to spook them. others suggested 660nm, which could work really well. these lasers are single mode meaning the dot, when defocused, will be a circle more or less. that could work and may be the better option.

would you rather have a big circle or wide rectangle? with the rectangle you could cover a wider area. I'm thinking of a multi-mode 638nm laser, which is a red also, but closer to orange than 660nm. It still looks very red, just not nearly as deep red. if 638nm light will still not spook the animals and you would rather have a brighter and rectangular shaped "spotlight" laser than a circular one, then you need to get a mitsubishi 638nm diode build instead. I suspect either could work, and the 660nm will be cheaper.

Here is something to consider. I understand you need to illuminate animals with red light so as not to spook them. others suggested 660nm, which could work really well. these lasers are single mode meaning the dot, when defocused, will be a circle more or less. that could work and may be the better option.

would you rather have a big circle or wide rectangle? with the rectangle you could cover a wider area. I'm thinking of a multi-mode 638nm laser, which is a red also, but closer to orange than 660nm. It still looks very red, just not nearly as deep red. if 638nm light will still not spook the animals and you would rather have a brighter and rectangular shaped "spotlight" laser than a circular one, then you need to get a mitsubishi 638nm diode build instead. I suspect either could work, and the 660nm will be cheaper.

I think with that wavelength you get into tricky territory when it comes to spooking the animals. The circular beam would actually work well since you're scanning for eyes then waiting until you find it. I appreciate the suggestion as it's a good one. I just can't take a chance with the shorter wavelength.

I just pulled the trigger on a Sci-fi red 200mW 660nm laser. Focusable and constant on/off. Looking forward to it. I already have a good 18650 charger so I grabbed a $2 battery (not sure what to expect with that) but either way $47 total shipped. Expected in 3 weeks or less.

Just did a little experimenting of my own with my 650mW Mits 500 slightly defocused. Has a reall nice rectangle and illuminated quite well. Not sure what your needs are but that diode would be good for illuminating a wide area at a fistance with out wasted light going up into the trees or down along the ground. It is only 638 though. Always an option if youre not satisfied with the 660.

Zeebit

I just pulled the trigger on a Sci-fi red 200mW 660nm laser. Focusable and constant on/off. Looking forward to it. I already have a good 18650 charger so I grabbed a $2 battery (not sure what to expect with that) but either way $47 total shipped. Expected in 3 weeks or less.

Throw that battery away. Its total crap. It could explode or catch fire at anytime. This is not a joke. Go get a Panasonic NCR18650B. It a little more expensive but its safe and it will last longer between charges.

Throw that battery away. Its total crap. It could explode or catch fire at anytime. This is not a joke. Go get a Panasonic NCR18650B. It a little more expensive but its safe and it will last longer between charges.

Do I have to worry about unprotected or proctected cells? I have a Panasonic unprotected for my Armytek Wizard Pro headlamp, but it has built in features for unprotected cells. Do I NEED a protected cell for the laser I got? When I get that laser am I alright to run the unprotected battery? Where do the safety issues come into play? On the discharge when it's almost out?

Okay, I have a Panasonic unprotected for a headlamp. I'll use that while setting this up until I can grab a good battery.

Thanks!

What am I looking at with this ~250mW red laser for safety at the most unfocused. Say I was using it in the woods for scouting off of the rifle, would it be safe to use in my hand without glasses outside? As long as I'm smart about it?

Tmack

That would be fine. I have that exact laser and outside without glasses is fine. Even indoors taking proper precautions, you'd be OK without glasses. Just avoid viewing the spot up close, or trying to burn something without glasses

That would be fine. I have that exact laser and outside without glasses is fine. Even indoors taking proper precautions, you'd be OK without glasses. Just avoid viewing the spot up close, or trying to burn something without glasses

I wouldn't be trying to burn anything. If focused out and a dog is on a lead 15-30 ft in front of the laser and happened to look at it while spotting, I assume it could easily cause damage?

Tmack

If focused to a point at that distance, eye damage is certain. But unfocused, the power would be spread over a much larger area, reducing the output to any specific spot inside the lit area. Not to say it is now safe, but it will not be nearly as dangerous as a focused direct hit. Obviously the more unfocused, the less intensity/ danger.

P's, if it's unfocused, a short distance in front of the aperture will have maximum focus. So if you're fingers pass through this area, you will know it! Lol but this isn't a ridiculously strong laser(but still very strong) so you'll have time to realize you're mistake, before it really burns you. A 1w laser will give you no time. By the time you pass the beam at that focus, your burned

Last edited: