Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NIR info and help please

I am doing a build with  2 LD's from pioneer 115D's  driven by rckstr 100ma drivers, through my night vision sight I can see the dot from both of them clearly at 20 feet or so. The dot, to the naked eye is about the intensity of a 1mw red.

I tried close focusing to see if I could burn anything.....zilch.....
From my description are these lasing properly?
Are they being given enough ma?
Should they be capable of burning?

I have never worked with NIR before so I am unsure of what should and should not be possible.
I tried a search for pioneer 115D but no threads were found. Before anyone says it I am aware of the dangers of looking at IR....I am working safe honest :)

Regards rog8811

LOL....I did wonder, any idea what I should be looking at?
Do you have a link for the info you found?

I have an LM317 test rig that will be able to put a lot more into them, but what is the limit.

Regards rog8811

I am not sure where I found the info but it is 125-150 I think

If you burn therm out I don't really mind as it would be useful to know an ideal current

Is there no one out there in IR land who can give me some input here, a definative
"I have used these LD's and I have found that ***ma iperfect"
Would suffice...... ;)

Regards rog8811

phenol

rog, i have experience with LG 20x (48x for CD) windowless NIR LDs. One died at 150mA while lasing. Another one has been doing fine at 140mA for quite some time. 3 more are idling in a box... It is properly heatsinked and I leave it on indefinitely without ill effects so far. 100mW output shouldnt be a problem.
100mA is really underdriving them.

Zom-B

I extracted an IR burner diode from a DVD 20x burner, and it died somewhere between 300 and 350mA while driving it with my continuously adjustable precision driver, set at max 400mA for the RED diode. (could also have been as low as 250mA, I wasn't really paying attention) Yes, I was exprecting the same specs for both LDs :-/

Before dying it made an impressively bright spot, seen through my digital camera. I didn't burn anything yet.