Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Night Shot of the Optotronics 150mW

Well I finally found time to take a accurate night shot of my Opto 150mW which is actually over-spec'd at 168mW (Ty Jack). This time I took a 30 second exposure and then tapped the laser button real quick at the last second of the exposure. This gave a much more accurate representation of what the beam actually looks like to the eye because the camera only exposed the beam for less than a second.

Last time I tried a time lapse (with the 55mW I believe) and posted it here, I was told the beam looks too bright and that was the case. See, I left the laser on for about 5 seconds which obviously let the camera expose the beam too much and made the look like something out of Real Genius (awesome movie).

The shot looks like it was taken at twilight but it was actually taken around 10pm under a full moon. The 30 second shot exposed the moon and the city lights to the North.

Here are 2 YouTube videos of me using the pointer.

Video #1 - Shooting from the garage out to the driveway. I used my white Suburban as a target but Youtube's video compression made it disappear.

YouTube - Optotronics 150mW Green Laser

Video #2 - Shooting in the garage with some fog since the lights were on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDoCQwUCpDM

Attachments

• Opto 150mW sm.jpg
    Opto 150mW sm.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:

how much fog did you use in the videos... the beam is too much intense! :)

@realista How do you measure fog?

Awesome vids, BTW!

Easy! I used a neumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis instrument. Ok, so I just Google'd the longest word in the dictionary and pasted it here but it sounded good for a sec didn't it? Actually I have a cheapy old Walmart fog machine I bought for $5 from a garage sale so it doesnt put out a lot of fog. I let it puff out about about 20 seconds of smoke and then fanned it with a piece of cardboard. It does seem very bright but I was right behind the camera when I recorded it and it was "that bright".

Last edited:
in the garage seems that is so much fog... the beam is very brilliant and shining.... :)

Trevor

Great pictures and video - Optotronics laser are great.

-Trevor

in the garage seems that is so much fog... the beam is very brilliant and shining.... :)

Looking at the video again where the garage door was open, there might have been a decent amount of fog in the garage but it was windy that night so there was no fog settling outside around the driveway especially near my suv. So yeah the beam intensity may have been increased inside the garage due to the fog but if you look at the video again, the beam out where the suv is parked, is still pretty bright. If fog was outside there, you would have seen the beam fluctuating in brightness as the wind would have pushed the fog around.

Being that my Digital SLR camera shoots HD video at 24 frames and is set up to give the look of film, maybe the camera made the beam "look" more intense. To me, that is really how it looked in person as I was shooting it.

Also, I'm seling the Opto 150mW because green DOT is just to damn bright to have fun with. I don't want to walk around with laser glasses just to enjoy it and I'm not into burning stuff. So, as much as I LOVE the beam, I'm going to get an Opto 30mW instead. It's sold so no inquiries please.

Last edited: