Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nice brass heatsink $3 @ Lowe's - great "nose" for a host

skjult

Hi folks. Without access to a metal lathe, I've been looking for some inexpensive ways to provide a heatsink for an Aixiz module. Spent quite some time at Lowe's yesterday and have much to report, but for now I wanted to share this interesting $3 piece I found in the plumbing section:

Shop Watts 5/8" x 1/2" Brass Barb x MIP at Lowes.com

The Aixix module fits like a hand in a glove - a tight glove. Think OJ, except this glove fits. It makes superb contact. I plan to ditch the lower can section of the module and just put the diode host into the middle of the brass adapter, at the thickest part. I found some nice brass tubing I may use to grasp the lens from the nose of the adapter. Note that you cannot use the standard Aixiz lens ring with this... unless you sand it down a good deal. Like I said, it's a snug fit. You could always mount the module at the top of the nose and have the lens ring there. But I think the cooling will be better at the thickest part and it is better protected there. It's very solid brass. Best part (other than being cheap) is that it easily screws into any number of standard-sized things.

I am putting together several combinations using this and other plumbing pieces. I'll share as I've time.

Attachments

• Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 305
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 231

Looks good but the thermal conductivity of brass is quite a bit lower than either Al or Cu. If you look here: thermal-conductivity or here: thermal_conductivities, you can see that brass, even high in copper, has only ~1/2 the thermal conductivity of Al and ~1/4 that of Cu.

It will work, but maybe you could find one of these (or an alternative fitting) in copper or more specifically C11000 ;) :beer:

Last edited: