Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newcomers!!!

Hi everyone!
Heard about the site from the link on dragonlaser.com
First saw some videos on you tube about the green lasers, started browsing around more and ordered a 125mW dragon laser on wednesday
Ive already found some good info on this site already and keep finding more each day
Thanks

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hey Mets, welcome to the forum

are you a mets fan? i am a HUGE mets fan heh. im from NJ and im very excited for the MLB season.. i LOVE baseball heh

talk to u soon

lets go mets

c0ldshadow said:
hey Mets, welcome to the forum

are you a mets fan? i am a HUGE mets fan heh. im from NJ and im very excited for the MLB season.. i LOVE baseball heh

talk to u soon

lets go mets
Yup, I am a big Mets fan
Should be a very interesting season this year
Im in Queens, NYC not far from shea

Hi everyone! Glad I found a real laser forum, lol. I found this site by running a search for forums on the topic. I've always been enamoured with lasers, but ever since I saw a guy use one for star pointing a week ago I've been reading as much as I can about them. I have other expensive hobbies, SCCA Solo racing and handgun shooting being among them, so I'd really like to build myself my first laser rather than buy. I know it will be tough, but I like the smell of solder...Hopfully I can pick some of your brains as I run into snags, lol. Anyway, I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum.

K

kingzilla

DoctorSolo said:
.....but I like the smell of solder...Hopfully I can pick some of your brains as I run into snags, lol. .......

You'll need lots of replacement brains if you smell solder! :eek: :eek: Eeeek! ;D lol jk

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :)

T

timelord

Welcome to the forum doctorsolo glad to have you on board ;)

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
welcome to the forum!! there are lots of laser experts on this forum & im sure you will learn a lot :cool:

do you have any lasers? if so curious what u have :cool:

Thank you for the welcome!

Ah, I suppose I just wish I had thought of making a laser company some years ago... and be bloody rich.

Unfortunately, that is just not the case.

What lasers I have lol.  ok, well, I ripped out a diode from a cd drive... hooked up 2 batteries to that and I got no laser beam, however, it did get quite warm lol.  Apparently, I read, those are mostly IR lasers.

The other laser I have is a 2 inch long, change the end piece for which design you want, 3 watch-battery laser...which I also opened up...to try to mod it...and apparently you need a green laser to do that.

Now, basically, there is NO way a handheld laser should cost like 2 or 3 thousand dollars for 400mw of power... That is highway robbery, considering a person, not company, can buy a 5 watt IR diode for ~$350.00.

Now, the first thing I need to learn, is forum etiquette.  Never really been a forum man before.  Second thing, is how to build a powerful, cheap laser :)

Hope you guys can fill me in, thanks!

Enigmafied

Hello all. well to start things off i will tell you that I know absolutely NOTHING about lasers.

I first heard about high power green lasers in a article i read and thought to myself, damn... i need one of those. lol, i really have no idea what i need it for, but i want one. so after looking around some i found my way here and to a another place but this one seems a bit better so i signed up here.

after looking at some lasers (and keep in mind i know NOTHING about them) im thinking i would like to get the hercules 300, at first i wanted the biggest i could find, but knowing myself i know that it could very well end up sitting in the closet for the next 10 years colecting dust. i have a bad habbit of buying stuff on a whim. so the hercules 300 seems like a nice middle of the road starter for me.

basicly, i would like some feedback to determine if the hercules 300 is good, bad, whatever. what are some things i should get with it?
ive read alittle about IR and know its a concern, does the hercules come with a good IR filter? should i still wear goggles? what kind of goggles?
if not the hercules, then what laser?

look forward to any and all feedback. thanks.

S

SenKat

First off, Welcome !

The Herc 300 is hardly what I would consider a "starter" or middle of the road - but it IS a damned nice laser ! You should get goggles that protect you from 532nm light - the Herc is VERY well IR filtered - no worries there at all !

300mw is LOTS of power - I kinda say the same thing about lasers that I do about monitors - get the biggest you can afford ! Biggest as in power level - too little, and you will end up buying tons of them to get to the power level you want ! Send Justin at Laserglow a few emails - get to know the product really well. THEN post lots of pics of your new beastie !

K

kingzilla

aneurysm said:
Hello all. well to start things off i will tell you that I know absolutely NOTHING about lasers.

I first heard about high power green lasers in a article i read and thought to myself, damn... i need one of those. lol, i really have no idea what i need it for, but i want one. so after looking around some i found my way here and to a another place but this one seems a bit better so i signed up here.

after looking at some lasers (and keep in mind i know NOTHING about them) im thinking i would like to get the hercules 300, at first i wanted the biggest i could find, but knowing myself i know that it could very well end up sitting in the closet for the next 10 years colecting dust. i have a bad habbit of buying stuff on a whim. so the hercules 300 seems like a nice middle of the road starter for me.

basicly, i would like some feedback to determine if the hercules 300 is good, bad, whatever. what are some things i should get with it?
ive read alittle about IR and know its a concern, does the hercules come with a good IR filter? should i still wear goggles? what kind of goggles?
if not the hercules, then what laser?

look forward to any and all feedback. thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

SenKat is right, if you buy low powered at the beginning, you will go crazy always think about what more power would be like. I first got a 5mw then 15mw, and finally a 95mw. I still wonder what more power would be like, but insufficient funds have stopped me in my tracks! The hercules is not usually a starter laser, mainly becasue most people can't afford it, but if you can, then a Hercules 300 is a great choice! It is a great quality laser and you can deffinatly trust laserglow, they are a great company and will help you if you need. You will deffinatly need to wear goggles with the herc, even with my 95mw, the dot was so bright, it was almost unbearable to even glance at!
Anyway, good luck with whatever laser you choose, and I hope to see lots of that hercules on the forums! ;D ;)

Wow - I love this forum - quick answers a lot of info.
Thanks SenKat -
Have 1 on me - Vodka
;)