Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbies First Review 405nm

Hi everybody! So i'm new to the forum and relatively new to laser pointers but i think i've gathered enough info to collaborate something worth reading haha. To date the brightest laser i have owned or seen in person is a 55mw green "VIPER" from dragonlasers. (I do have a 400mw green "stick" in the mail from lazerer that i couldn't be more excited about :crackup:)

On to the review! I am new to the forum so easy on the insults if you could :undecided:

I wish i still had the "viper" laying around but for now i'll post a review about my current "investment". A "5mw" 405nm violet laser from amazon.com. (although recent readings suggests power levels at >75mw! which is totally believable actually!)

First impressions on this thing are really good. For a <10 dollar little toy this thing packs quite a little punch. especially with lithium batteries! Divergence is absolutely GOD AWFUL haha but i hear most 405nm pointers are that way.

No burning capabilities in my findings but i think if one were to have the necessary beam focusing equipment it may be possible.

Here is the final note i'll make, in my experience with lasers my biggest complaint is with all the models i have owned with the one "dragonlasers" exception, there is "scatter" all around the actual "dot". I'm sure this is a lens issue but i absolutely hate it. with this particular laser the random light around the dot is quite obvious.

Thank you guys for taking some time to read my little review. If not informative hopefully entertaining haha. I can't wait for the lazerer to arrive and hopefully i can get around to writing a decent review.

Ill end on some beamshots. Room is pretty well lit with no "smoke" or "fog". Enjoy!

Last thing, I am 100% open to criticizem. Pick this thing apart and let me know how i can improve!

2ywzkbb.jpg

2w69tee.jpg

641mv4.jpg

2q2psna.jpg

Last edited:

So i am having all kinds of trouble getting these pictures to show up!

Nice first review!

Appreciate your open mindedness for feedback.

Maybe post a link to where you purchased the laser?

Closeup pics of the laser itself and the dot would be nice to show the "scatter."

Again, cool review. :wave:

PS. Hope you're using goggles, as it's hard to trust many 5mW lasers as simply 5mW. As you said, it certainly seems WAY overspec, so watch out for exposure.

Cheers!

Nice first review!

Appreciate your open mindedness for feedback.

Maybe post a link to where you purchased the laser?

Closeup pics of the laser itself and the dot would be nice to show the "scatter."

Again, cool review. :wave:

PS. Hope you're using goggles, as it's hard to trust many 5mW lasers as simply 5mW. As you said, it certainly seems WAY overspec, so watch out for exposure.

Cheers!

I'll keep that all in mind next time! I do wear goggles when i'm inside and i really like how the community looks out for each other! Thanks for the feedback!