Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello I'm a newbie to laser pointers and looking to purchase a laser pointer. Just curious about the laws in the US regarding them. I would like to purchase a laser and some goggles and have been looking at 1w-1.8w blue lasers. Are these banned from the US? Would the laser I buy be confiscated from US Customs before package could be delivered. If so I also have a Canadian address as my wife lives there. What are their laws regarding lasers

I live in Canada and I've had no problem getting lasers. I think Canada is a bit more relaxed about importing lasers than the US. That being said, I don't think you would have trouble getting one in the US, and I'm pretty sure as long as you behave responsibly with a laser you wont get into any trouble.

But one important thing I have to ask, would this be your first high powered laser? Because if you've never owned a high powered laser before then I wouldn't recommend you getting a 1 Watt laser for your first. You would be much better off getting something in the 100-200 mW power range to get used to lasers that can burn.

Last edited:
I live in Canada and I've had no problem getting lasers. I think Canada is a bit more relaxed about importing lasers than the US. That being said, I don't think you would have trouble getting one in the US, and I'm pretty sure as long as you behave responsibly with a laser you wont get into any trouble.

But one important thing I have to ask, would this be your first high powered laser? Because if you've never owned a high powered laser before then I wouldn't recommend you getting a 1 Watt laser for your first. You would be much better off getting something in the 100-200 mW power range to get used to lasers that can burn.

A buddy of mine has one so I've been learning some things from him. He's stateside though and had mentioned that sometimes they get confiscated.

In terms of ordering online where is a good place to get them from and about importing to canada, will I get nailed with duty. I've ordered things from china and had them shipped to my states address with no duty applied. How does that work in Canada.

I've never had to pay duty on anything I've imported. I'll give you some good websites to order from.

First, theres LaserGlow, which is a Canadian company so you wouldn't even have to import it, and LaserGlow lasers are some of the best quality. The downside is their lasers are really really expensive.

https://www.laserglow.com/catalog.htm

Some other good sites are:
laserbtb
Buy laser and Optics Online :: Dragon Lasers
Sci-Fi-Lasers <-- This site is owned by a forum member, TheJoker301
http://jetlasers.org/

The best laser safety glasses for the price: Safety

Remeber ebay laser safety glasses are all pretty much useless for high powered lasers.

I've never had to pay duty on anything I've imported. I'll give you some good websites to order from.

First, theres LaserGlow, which is a Canadian company so you wouldn't even have to import it, and LaserGlow lasers are some of the best quality. The downside is their lasers are really really expensive.

https://www.laserglow.com/catalog.htm

Some other good sites are:
laserbtb
Buy laser and Optics Online :: Dragon Lasers
Sci-Fi-Lasers <-- This site is owned by a forum member, TheJoker301
JETLASERS.ORG, SHOP JETLASERS LASER PRODUCTS ONLINE - Jetlasers.org, Online Shop for Jetlasers Products.

The best laser safety glasses for the price: Safety

Remeber ebay laser safety glasses are all pretty much useless for high powered lasers.

Laser glow would be way past my budget lol. In terms of quality which of the other four would you recommend. I see that most of the lasers on sflasers are out of stock great prices though

From what I've seen, dragonlasers is hit or miss.

The rest I only see positives in.

Also please don't make two threads with the same question. And, I answered in your other thread here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/laser-law-question-87572.html#post1274450

^^^ AGREE!!!

also-
your question or at least part of it has been answered and asked hundreds of time- we do not throw out old posts- if you use the search before asking questions we would really appreciate that- we really would rather use our valuable time enjoying other aspects of LPF and helping with questions that are new,,

I see that you failed to fill in some parts of your personal profile- most importantly your location- you do not seem to feel a need to keep that a secret as you posted it--BUT that post will not help anyone who has not read it to know your location--

It is REALLY in your own best interests to at LEAST put Canada in your profile and if you like you can also add your USA location too. We have some members here that actually 'live' in even more than just two locations.

IN RE making a second thread on basically the same question- i understand that need you feel to get some QUICK help so you have asked for it in more than one thread-- sorry that is not 'allowed' a 'line' had to be drawn so it was set at ONE thread per topin- If you later see you placed it in the wrong section is it quite easy to delete one on the threads you started---

I suspect that like many others you did not REALLY see the need to read all the stickies- I get that... BUT it takes very little time to at least read them in the WELCOME section--- and later you can read the stickies in EVERY new section you post in- say you have a question about gas lasers- BEFORE you post your Q READ the stickies in the gas laser section.

ALSO new members (and sometime even vets) can occasioanlly be unsure which section some new threads should be started-- try this---

SEARCH!!! if you dont know where to place a new thread search that basic
topic of your thread and see where others have placed theirs-- simple and works great for me. BUT making a new thread in more than one section is
not a good habit and with a few exceptions is never the way to go.

One exception is a topic that is VERY important to all the forum (not to YOU alone) and needs to be read by many asap.

I have done this myself but what I do is just post a link to my info-

I generally start like this-- 'I KNOW this is not the correct board to place this but here is a link to where I ended up putting this thread and i feel it is something that many here need to read' KEY words are 'important' and 'to the entire forum'

as far as where to buy--- best choice is most OFTEN from another (vet)LPF member---next is within your country (thus avoiding customs).. then those sellers with many happy buyers-

last choice would be from some company you have NO KNOWLEDGE about--(we see this one FAR too often)- why EVEN ask advice on something that is too late to do much about-- we see this WAY too often and it a pointless question as the order has been placed and i suspect those that do this are 'impulse buyers' and as far as lasers go impulse buying is a BAD IDEA- just like baseing your choice on mW per dollar-

I have sent lasers from TEXAS to Canada several times w/o any problems other than slow delivery-

TIPs
batteries should NEVER be shipped along with lasers- even free ones-
IF the package is going to cross borders..no free battery is worth risking seizure of your laser. I have even shipped one half of a laser in one box and the rest in another.

Avoid buying from members here that are brand new- go with vets or new members that have already proven their trustwortherness.

Use of middlemen- both parties agree to use a vet to keep both parties of a deal happy & safe- no risk involved just some additional costs for the shipping. if you are unclear about the use of a middle man they do a search as much has ben posted on this subject and i can never remember a case where the middle man way was a mistake. (be sure the 'middle' OWNS a LPM and it is best if he lives close to one of the parties.

ALSO buy eye-ware FIRST not after you get the laser- not all glasses/goggles work for all 'colors' some do but are very expensive.

Injuries are not only bad for you they hurt the entire forum and when lasers become illegal to own some of that will happpen because of (mostly) eye injuries that could have easily be avoided.

Hope this has been helpful.. if so no need to thank me- BUT you may want to consider a bit of help to keep our forum running smoothly in the form of a donation--even if you cannot send a large one --

welcome

v/r hak