Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie question - Burning (did a search)

Hi guys, I did a thorough search, and it didnt really show anything, so I will ask here. Every post says that blu ray is the best color to burn with, but just how much of a difference is there between blu ray and green? For instance, with a green and a blue at 250mW, how much longer would it take the green to start wood to smoke, or embers from a leaf? Thanks guys.

daguin

Hi guys, I did a thorough search, and it didnt really show anything, so I will ask here. Every post says that blu ray is the best color to burn with, but just how much of a difference is there between blu ray and green? For instance, with a green and a blue at 250mW, how much longer would it take the green to start wood to smoke, or embers from a leaf? Thanks guys.

Sorry. The reason you cannot find it is that there is no real way to make that comparison.

Is the green focusable?
Is the violet focusable?
What color is the item you want to burn?
Can you hold the laser(s) steady? Is it in your hand or on a stand?
Is the thing you want to burn steady as well?

250mW is 250mW. The differences come in with how much energy is absorbed by what you want to burn. All of the above questions affect how much energy is absorbed in how small a space.

Peace,
dave

As daguin said, it all comes down to how much energy is absorbed by the material.

I could probably sit for 5 weeks with my green laser, aimed at a white A4 paper and nothing would happen, the light is reflected rather than absorbed (right? :p).
I can't say what a blu-ray would do (since I don't have one) but you get the picture. Blu-rays can burn "brighter" materials compared to the 532nm laser.

Greetz,
-Nicklas

Ah, then I should clarify. Everything else being equal, what advantages would there be to using a blu ray to burn as opposed to a green laser? Nicklas mentioned blu-rays can burn brighter materials. Is that the only difference?

Thanks guys.

Asherz

Blu-rays are generally absorbed by materials a lot better than other colours, so that means a more powerfull 8X blu-ray at 400mW's will burn white paper.

How ever, in general the blu-ray will just burn and smoke everything a lot quicker. E.g my blu-ray 100mW burns better than my 200mW red dilda (probably only 150mW.)

Also blu-rays WILL burn your fingers or skin and it WILL hurt, I saw a member saying he burnt his fingers focusing an 8X lol.

Ah, gotcha. One last question, how long can you expect a blue ray 6x or 8x to last? Several thousand hours is out of the question right?

Ah, gotcha. One last question, how long can you expect a blue ray 6x or 8x to last? Several thousand hours is out of the question right?

I guess that matters on how far you're pushing the diode? :).
Check out some of the posts that are around here on LPF (IgorT's maybe?). I'm sure you will find it very interessting.

Greetz,
- Nicklas

A laser diode, if you run it at the manufacturer's specifications, can last up to 5000 hours (for 5.6mm can diodes). If you run one at the current the we use for hobby, you will probably only get 500 hours, but this depends on the diode (some of them are totally out of spec. We call does freaks) and the duty cycles it goes through.

But, I have to say 500 hours is a lot. I wonder if I have even turned on one of my lasers for one hour (total) ...

Thanks guys. Just bought one of jayrobs minis to use with a 6x blu ray diode from high tech dealz. Will be my first build, hope all goes well. :) Will be run at 190mA, probably get a few hundred hours if im lucky.