Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie - Green Line Generator - Please help.

I'm a newb here but in need of some help. I did a search but did not turn up anything of interest.

I am looking for a laser that will generate a straight line for a maximum of 100'. I am a golaie coach and teh light will be projected on white ice, indoors, with flourescent lighting. I would like to be able to mount the laser on a tripod if possible.

My research has indicated that a green light will show up much better than red, which is why I have posted in the green laser section. My budget is in the $100 - $150 range with simplicity of operation a key feature.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Myexperience with 'lasers' so far includes a red handhelp pointer to tease my cat and a Canadian Tire red line genrator that was too faint when used inside an arena....

Thanks.

Dave

I suggest you get a 100mW DealExtreme (green) laser, and a line generating optic and holder from Nova.

OK heres the links.
DealExtreme True 100mW - will be fairly close to 100mW output if not more. $99

DealExtreme 200mW - not 'true' so probably closer to 150mW output. $122

For $23 more for another 50% of power, I think the choice is obvious in the 200.
Both of these lasers though, are completely enough to blind you, and you need to be very careful when using them around potentially reflective objects like ice or sportswear that has metal on it. However, if used safely, it could be a great tool.

Nova line gen optic $6
I suggest to attach this to a DealExtreme laser you simply use a few tiny dots of blutack or similar to align it (round the edges) then if you want it permanent, small dots of glue. There are proper optics holders, but I doubt they fit DX lasers.

Just curious what you are using it for? I understand you are a coach, but are you pointing somethingto your players? Making a straight line on the ice?

I dont fully understand what exactly you want to do. If your thinking about buying a 100mW greenie to point youll wind up making your players crash into each other from the intense green light.

also, getting a laser with a keyswitch for a good price is kind of hard. Nova sells the 15mW alpha series with key switch for 140.......

http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=36

Anything less in price you arent going to get. If you post a follow up eplaining what you want to do it would help....

I want to use the laser to generate a line on the ice to help my goalies with their angles. Basically it will be a line, on the ice, from the middle of the net out to a puck near the blueline. The line will help the goalie visually identify if he is 'on angle'.

I tried a 5mw? handhelp laser pen in a local store today and it was plenty bright enough but it was just a pointer (dot). It would work if necessary, but I would prefer a solid line, as it is visually more appealing.

I might be way off base on this, but I figured that if anyone would know, it would be the people on this BB.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

He meant 'simplicity is a essential feature' key feature, not meaning it has a key but that it is important.

BlueFusion said:
He meant 'simplicity is a essential feature' key feature, not meaning it has a key but that it is important.

Correct - I need to be able to use it without a whole lot of fuss. Basically point it and press a button, if possible.

The DealExtreme lasers with a line gen optic are perfect there. Whack in the batteries and press the button.

The idea above is by far the simplest, I am not sure of the length of the line though.
As a try out get a glass fuse and shine the pointer through that, it will give you a line, you could wire it over the aperture of the pointer

Regards rog8811

Switch

The length of the line will depend on how far your laser will be from the ice.Also if you get a steeper angle the line will look better and be narrower.

What you also want to take into consideration is DUTY CYCLE, because if you tape the button down and want to leave it on the whole duration of the training, it will probably burn out in a few minutes.Battery life is an important factor too, since these high powered green lasers only have about an hour until the battery gets drained.Also consider they are very cold sensitive.

Lorgar

You will be pointing a very high powered visable beam at a reflective surface
There is a very high chance of the reflection hurting the players eyes.
I know your just looking for a good teaching tool but lasers over 50mW are not toys and should not be pointed at people .
Im just think of safety

Switch

Yea but if it's spreaded across a 20 foot line it should be fine....I mean 5mW spreaded across that distance wouldn't be too visible IMO :p

Lorgar said:
You will be pointing a very high powered visable beam at a reflective surface
There is a very high chance of the reflection hurting the players eyes.
I know your just looking for a good teaching tool but lasers over 50mW are not toys and should not be pointed at people .
Im just think of safety
Agreed - safety is a key concern... it's not a very good business model to blind my students! :)

Can anyone share some thoughts on how the cold affects the green laser? Does it make a dramatic difference?

Thanks everyone for your info so far, much appreciated.

Dave

Switch

It has been experienced that eighter the YVO4 or the KTP's efficiency to severly drop in cold conditions, failing the frequency doubling process.If this happens all the output you'll get is some residue IR, so that's a pretty dramatic effect ::)
I don't know the exact temperature but I would assume it depends on how the laser is built, heatsinked, the size of the pump diode, etc.Of course cold can actually help you get a longer duty cycle, but it has to be exactly the right temperature range.
Someone found out that incasing your laser in polystiren helps a lot with the cold issue.

Yeah I remember that. If you shove it in a block of rigid foam you should be right with the cold but it'll look ugly as all hell :p

100mw across a 100 ft line is only 1mw per foot thats .12mw per inch ..... so a 5mw laser pointed at the ice would have more reflection then your 100mw set up.... i think you will be fine and i do not believe ice is 100% reflective probly only 50% or so so their for i dont think yoru going to blinde. flash blinde. or dammage any bodies eyes.... they would get more damage from one of your players looking at the big mercury lights that light up the place

Switch

Yea but I mean, he doesn't need a line that long, 20 feet would be enough to figure the angle right?Another problem would be the fact that ice would most likely offer specular reflections, so the brightness of the light really depends on the angle....The absolutely bestest thing you can do (if you can) is suspend the laser from the ceiling so that the projection of the line is perpendicular to the field.Would give you a nicer line and less blinding the players trouble. :D