Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie get duped?

trephanation

Probably wouldn't be difficult, although I'd recommend against a 5-7w laser for your first build. It's just too powerful. My first was a 1W 520nm green and even that's almost too scary, especially given that a "true" 1W green is unheard of in that "gatling laser" market. You have to use an expensive diode that they just won't be willing to use and then charge $40 for. Like others said check out the sticky threads, there are many different sources for parts to begin your build. One I will recommend is DTR's website for sourcing diodes, modules, lenses, and drivers.

Last edited:

GSS

I watched this video yesterday. How difficult would it be for someone like me with poor soldering skills to get some of the equipment needed, here, from forum members with a little tutelage?

I've unscrewed the nose off and it doesn't look like there's a way to remove the guts!

Ponz
They use alot of glue and parts are pressed in tight on top of that. These cheap China mass produced lasers don't use standard sizes.
So most likely you will destroy more parts that you can salvage, and the better made drivers and modules etc. won't fit in the host without more tinkering and sanding.
Styro is a just a tech Junkie Wizard and has played with these for years..
If you found a legit source for a real blue Gattling laser, for $40 they aren't bad and have the potential to last. Don't let this one store get you down about the Thors and Gattlings. They have the "potential" to last if you follow a good duty cycle.
Lifetime17 can make you a nice plug and play host that will directly fit a 12mm complete module/diode and driver from Dtr..

Last edited:

Ponz

I know your recommendations for retailers - but does this sound too good to be true?

Ponz

Hi Ponz,
personally I think its way to much for a 5W build, its in a fancy host with star caps and batteries and a charger. Plus you won't really know if its really 5W's . And has all Chinese components and glued together. Hey that just my opinion and it your money buddy.
Hope you find what your looking for ..
Rich:)

GSS

I know your recommendations for retailers - but does this sound too good to be true?

Ponz
No No.. stay away from that sight.. Run Away!!
303 lasers for $70 and a Gattlings from $160 to $270 for the extended version..

GSS

Double post here, I really reccomend going with Lifetime17 for a full build or one of his hosts for a Dtr module drop in,
I hate to say this but if your budget is $40 look at Lasserpointerstore for a Blue 1W Thor or Gattling.
Just expect that if there is any issue's "Tommy" the owner will be very very slow to respond and even if he does..

trephanation

Ponz
I hope you're trolling at this point... nearly $300 for a cheaply made Chinese piece of junk?

"Strongest Powerful Military Grade" yeah... do not buy that

Ponz

Batteries!

Higher drain with lower mA OR lower drain with higher mA?

Ponz

Edit: Forgot to mention - my primary laser will be a homebuilt 5+ Watt Blue

Last edited:

Ponz

You're in good hands. I'm confident you will love anything Rich builds for you and you'll know exactly what you're getting. What size batteries do you need?

What size batteries?

18650, CR123A or 18340 - please

It will likely depend on the driver used as to which battery size you will need. You can likely get by with a single 18650 battery if a SEPIC driver is used. Two 16340 or 18350 batteries if a buck is used. The highest capacity for 18650s is ~3500 mAh and for 16340s 700-800 mAh. The 18350 are a bit higher at maybe ~1000 mAh.

trephanation

I've been using Nitecore 18350s (assuming you meant 18350 and not 18340) and they charge very quickly given that you use their i4 Charger. They definitely add a bit of output power compared to the stock no-name batteries that these Chinese sellers provide.

Good choice going with a Lifetime17 host, I've got one myself like I said and it's a fantastic piece of hardware.