Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie get duped?

Ponz

Question?

Is a beam expander for 'near' burning? What are reasonable burning distance with/without a beam expander? I'm looking at a 7 watt blue unit.

Also - what is meant by single or multi operational modes?

Thanks in advance,
Ponz

For very close burning.....say 1 to 2 inches, you don't use a beam expander. You can simply focus the laser using the collimating lens to the smallest point at these distances. You will no longer have a beam, per se, but a tiny dot of power density. It is more like using a magnifying glass and the sun to burn something. There will only be a point where you will be able to burn at and if you move toward or away from that point you will no longer be able to light a match or burn some black plastic.

Ponz if you buy a real 7w Laser you're getting into scary territory. That thing will burn things instantly. Not a good idea to use it indoors and if you live in a populated area not a good idea to shine it in the air because it will get you a lot of attention. Some of it attention that you don't want. There are people on this forum who build lasers and kits. I would strongly suggest you look in the trade area on this forum and talk to the sellers about what you can expect from a particular product. I have bought several hosts from lifetime17 and can tell you he's reliable, knowledgeable and best of all makes great products. You might want to look at his sale thread instead of gambling on an unknown.

Ponz

For very close burning.....say 1 to 2 inches, you don't use a beam expander. You can simply focus the laser using the collimating lens to the smallest point at these distances. You will no longer have a beam, per se, but a tiny dot of power density. It is more like using a magnifying glass and the sun to burn something. There will only be a point where you will be able to burn at and if you move toward or away from that point you will no longer be able to light a match or burn some black plastic.

1 to 2 inches? Is that all without the beam extender?

Hi Ponz,
Jet lasers are are a great company yes to order from , I think Hak is an affiliate with them here in the states email him greta guy to deal with if you go with Jet lasers.
Also if you go for the 7W 450 laser you can get as an option their 10X Beam expander that would work well at distances.
Some time ago I made for a customer a custom NUBM44 build with a 10X BE and I tested it on a black tee shirt at 32 ft. burned a hole through no problem.
Rich:)
B6C0E932-CFEA-4CEF-BD42-DC77109AF2F4_1_105_c.jpeg1B67AA0B-586D-4352-AE68-4144D361F661_1_105_c.jpegB3C4D5E5-B46E-44BA-BFC2-C01E83E9744A_1_105_c.jpeg10DCC841-A8F3-41DA-A9D4-461CAA0F1487_1_105_c.jpeg6BC844BA-E85E-47D3-9E2C-8AD26BEC9A00_1_105_c.jpeg

1 to 2 inches? Is that all without the beam extender?

Yes, you are limited to this very short distance using the collimation lens to focus the beam down to the smallest dot possible. And in this case you would not use a beam expander.

Define " burning "
If you want to cut popsicle sticks cleanly then a few inches but if you want to burn a 5mm long hole through one then a several feet.
Always while wearing the correct laser safety glasses and always in a safe manner goes without saying but I'm going to say it anyway.

G2 lens for close cutting and 3E, G7, G8 lens for across your desktop.

Bleddyn

Unfortunately Len it's deals like this that bring newbies here for answers and comfort.
I also don't see how new members can find this forum easily, unless i'm missing something?
Oh I came ever so close to buying from laserpointerpro and other scammers, I just lucked out and never pulled the trigger.
So i'm right that 2 new member's bought to what they thought was a blue laser and got a green one?
Yes sir....two new members indeed got duped. They lied about the wavelength and they lied about the output power and my measurements are traceable all the way to N.I.S.T something I doubt you can say about the Chinese quality system. Finding this forums was easy enough...just typed in Aluminux Laser and this thread and forums was the first listed after the sales sites...of course. I thought it was funny that right after the measurements were complete....it broke. I tried to take the unit apart and repair it but the main laser housing was thread locked into place so....I file 13'd it. It was a rather nice housing though...looks like CNC work. It is nice to be back posting on a forums. I have not really been active in forums since I modded IsoHunt and Administrated TorrentBox. But once they shut down, I sort went into just trolling the disqus boards on news sites. So far the TorchPro has answered every email I have sent them so it will be interesting to see how they respond to my warranty or replacement request. I did not tell them it broke yet but I sent them an email detailing the misrepresentation, which probably means further communication from them will halt. So the Laser fire starter was a bust so I decided to go with an equally impressive piece of technology....a lighter. ....now to go shop for an inverter.

Bleddyn

Hi, No hijacking here all is good , I have LPM'ed lasers for many folks to see what they really bought. So I can help you out to if you like.
I am curious if a budget minded hand held laser capable of igniting kindling is even possible? Perhaps a PM is in order? Thanks for tossing some possibilities my way Lifetime17

Bleddyn

Question?

Is a beam expander for 'near' burning? What are reasonable burning distance with/without a beam expander? I'm looking at a 7 watt blue unit.

Also - what is meant by single or multi operational modes?

Thanks in advance,
Ponz
Hey Ponz...I referred to you as a new member in another post....it would seem you are not....my bad.

Bleddyn

Hi Ponz,
Jet lasers are are a great company yes to order from , I think Hak is an affiliate with them here in the states email him greta guy to deal with if you go with Jet lasers.
Also if you go for the 7W 450 laser you can get as an option their 10X Beam expander that would work well at distances.
Some time ago I made for a customer a custom NUBM44 build with a 10X BE and I tested it on a black tee shirt at 32 ft. burned a hole through no problem.
View attachment 68068View attachment 68069View attachment 68070View attachment 68071View attachment 68072
And the price range is within my budget. I am definitely PM'ing you to dial in what I actually need. Thanks again Lifetime17

Hi Bleddyn,
You dont need a 6/7 W build to start a fire , a 4/5 w is more than enough and keeps the cost down . Ti further the lower cost of a custom a flashlight modded host is in order here . These still have custom sinks and adapters and all top notch components no cheap stuff sorry.
Thanks for your inquiry .

Ponz

Hello again. Is it possible to upgrade this Gatling style host to a more powerful blue?

Ponz

Ponz

I watched this video yesterday. How difficult would it be for someone like me with poor soldering skills to get some of the equipment needed, here, from forum members with a little tutelage?

I've unscrewed the nose off and it doesn't look like there's a way to remove the guts!

Ponz