Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newb safety advice questions

Swyvel

Ok I need major safety tips. I just fired off a 3 watt blue laser in sky without goggles to see beam and it it beautiful. I dare not look at its dot though without goggles. I did briefly look at my 200 mw red laser and 150 mw violets dot without goggles on my grass though. I currently have cheap goggles that make the beams and dots less visible but plan on upgrading. I definitely want some high quality lower power custom builds until I am comfortable and skilled with responsibility of using higher powers will probably get from lifetime17 here. I'm wanting to make sure I know the dos and don'ts with lasers of various powers. Any and all advice appreciated. One question I have is regarding appreciating the beam in the night sky without goggles especially the 3 watt blue laser. Is that safe?
Edit I know I messed up and posted in wrong area. Anyway I can delete and move to the laser safety forum rather than general?

Encap

How old are you?
all of your posts from the first one 14 days ago when you joined really sound like a minor who doesn't know or comprehened what he is doing, buying, playing with, or why---other than wanting 2 things that exist only in imagination, not in the real world of lasers and are not possible in the real world---as mentioned in your first post where you stated : " I'm wanting soemthing thats visible in broad daylight wanting a nice sci fi lightsaber piercing sky effect. Need advice " Makes me ask how old you are.

Study and learn is the real answer:
Study this comprehensive laser safety web site for excellent expert advice and information on all aspects of laser safety: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/
Study also this web site: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/classes-menu.html

Can a 3W blue laser damage your eyes? See what happened to one careful member in less tha 0.25 seconds/a split second with a 1W blue laser here:: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/
What do you want people to say beyond no eye protection is no eye protection and you take your chances with whatever you do and whatever happens for whatever reasons accidental or on purpose if you are not wearing laser glasses/goggles.
Wearing appropriate laser safety goggles protects your eyes from accidental or on purpose permanent eye damage due to not knowing what you are doing ---whatever else you do is risk to one degree or another --an accident looking for a place to happen and possibility of permanent eye damage.

Is it safe to point in the sky without goggles.
Yes it is 100% safe if you don't damage your eyes in the process. Is that what you want to hear?
Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer. Pointing in the sky is "safe" if there are no aircraft or are pointing in aircraft fight paths anywhere even near where you are pointing in the sky otherwise you risk arrest and serious fines, especially if you hit an aircraft.
"U.S.C. TITLE 18, CHAPTER 2
Sec. 39A. Aiming a laser pointer at an aircraft
(a) OFFENSE — Whoever knowingly aims the beam of a laser pointer at an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, or at the flight path of such an aircraft, shall be fined under this title {maximum of $250,000} or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."
From: https://jdasolutions.aero/blog/aiming-lasers-at-aircraft/

Last edited:

Swyvel

How old are you?
all of your posts from the first one 14 days ago when you joined really sound like a minor who doesn't know or comprehened what he is doing, buying, playing with, or why---other than wanting 2 things that exist only in imagination, not in the real world of lasers and are not possible in the real world---as mentioned in your first post where you stated : " I'm wanting soemthing thats visible in broad daylight wanting a nice sci fi lightsaber piercing sky effect. Need advice " Makes me ask how old you are.

Study and learn is the real answer:
Study this comprehensive laser safety web site for excellent expert advice and information on all aspects of laser safety: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/
Study also this web site: https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/classes-menu.html

Can a 3W blue laser damage your eyes? See what happened to one careful member in less tha 0.25 seconds/a split second with a 1W blue laser here:: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/
What do you want people to say beyond no eye protection is no eye protection and you take your chances with whatever you do and whatever happens for whatever reasons accidental or on purpose if you are not wearing laser glasses/goggles.
Wearing appropriate laser safety goggles protects your eyes from accidental or on purpose due to not knowing what you are doing permanent eye damage ---whatever else you do is risk to one degree or another --an accident looking for a place to happen and possibility of permanent eye damage.

Is it safe to point in the sky without goggles.
Yes it is 100% safe if you don't damage your eyes in the process. Is that what you want to hear?
Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer. + Safe if there are no aircraft or aircraft fight paths anywhere even near where you are pointing in the sky other wise you risk arrest and serious fines, especially if you hit an aircraft.
"U.S.C. TITLE 18, CHAPTER 2
Sec. 39A. Aiming a laser pointer at an aircraft
(a) OFFENSE — Whoever knowingly aims the beam of a laser pointer at an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, or at the flight path of such an aircraft, shall be fined under this title {maximum of $250,000} or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."
From: https://jdasolutions.aero/blog/aiming-lasers-at-aircraft/
I'm an adult I just rarely use forums over telegram or Facebook and discord/Skype. There wasnt any laser groups on discord or telegram based on when I ask others.
And I sound like a minor because I find the visual effects interesting? I dont plan on burning things or even looking at dot of 3 watt without goggles, let's be honest a good chunk of us are interested in visual aspects. Just basic safety run down of what dots are and arent safe to look at as well as beams.
The beam I was curious cause in most laser review videos they arent using goggles or mention if in first for aiming at night sky. I really only see their use when burning and such. Really think people would be more understanding to help with the safety research.

GSS

Looking at the beam outside pointed to the sky is safe, even if it was a 7W laser. Indoor beam looking is also pretty safe as long as you don't point to a reflective surface.
Looking at the spot is relatively safe but it will be very tiring on the eyes.. If your burning that spot is intensifies and without goggles its pretty much un barable to look at.
You shouldn't see the beam with safety glasses, and just a disfused spot. If your seeing a beam with glasses on then they aren't good, and time for new pair quickly..
Just use common sense;)

Swyvel

Looking at the beam outside pointed to the sky is safe, even if it was a 7W laser. Indoor beam looking is also pretty safe as long as you don't point to a reflective surface.
Looking at the spot is relatively safe but it will be very tiring on the eyes.. If your burning that spot is intensifies and without goggles its pretty much un barable to look at.
You shouldn't see the beam with safety glasses, and just a disfused spot. If your seeing a beam with glasses on then they aren't good, and time for new pair quickly..
Just use common sense;)
Thanks these are the the kind of answers I want.
Someone in the battery store was trying to tell me I should never point the beams at nightsky and stars without goggles. I figured he didnt know what he was talking about would double checking here. But yes with goggles I cant see the beam at all which is good but I'm still going to save up and buy better goggles on next paycheck before I try burning or other techniques as I don't trust these cheap 8 dollar ones.

Reactions: GSS

Encap

Same as above^^^^

Accidents happen that's why they are called accidents---with lasers and eye damage they happen so fast in less than the blink reflex time of an eye 0.25 seconds,. There is no chance of avoiding an accident once it is about to happen---not enough time to be able to take corrective action to prevent the impending accident from happening.
No protection is no protection and you take your chances---so safe is relative.
Looking at the beam while pointing at the sky with no eye protection is safer than some other activities with a laser and no eye protection and no it is not absolutely positively a safe situation .
While wearing lasers goggles you can have a greater degree of comfort that you are protected from accidental eye damaging exposure.

See this thread for what some other members say: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/at-what-power-will-the-beam-damage-your-eyes.98366/

Here is laser eye safety guide, easy to understand: https://www.lasersafety.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/LaserSafetyGuide.pdf

Get an appropriate Eagle Pair of laser goggles---from Survival Lasers ---they are a well proven product offering good laser safety good protection See: https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Safety_Goggles/cat1667093_1527285.aspx

Have a read here: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/treatment/treatment.html

Even Wicked Laser now publishes serious caution about " Blue light hazard" and the445nm blue Arctic from : https://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/blue_light_hazard.html
" Prolonged exposure to blue laser light can alter and have a diminishing effect on a person's perception of the color green.Patients who were treated for being exposed too long to intense blue laser light in the milliwatt range were only able to perceive the green color in a period of about 4-6 months.
The blue wavelength can cause a distinct biochemical action in the release of free radicals which are then effectively absorbed by red blood cells in the capillaries. Blue laser light, 445nm or 470nm is absorbed more effectively by retinal tissue compared to 532nm green or 650nm red laser light.
Though laser safety goggles can protect a person's vision, it's always best to remember NEVER to look into a laser beam or bright reflection even when wearing laser safety goggles. Overall, the best protection is still in arming oneself with preventive knowledge and to exercise responsibility and proper restraint when using lasers."

Direct or indirect skin exposure to blue laser light is also harmful. The MPE (Maximum Permissible Exposure) for skin for a 3mm beam of this wavelength is approximately 200mW/CM^2. This is laser can easily generate a power density (irradiance) of about 15 Watts/CM^2. Therefore, this laser's beam exceeds the skin exposure MPE by ( 15 / 0.2 ) = 75 times. At this level of irradiance, skin exposure to the intense blue laser light can possibly cause cancer. Do not allow bare skin to be exposed, including your face when wearing safety goggles, to light diffusely reflected from any surface closer than several inches. This laser is a thousand times stronger than sunlight on skin and any type of exposure should be avoided whether it be from the collimated beam or close exposure to its bright diffused reflections.

Blue light hazard can cause BLINDNESS and not just color perception issues. The power of this laser is no joke, at 1W the Spyder III Pro Arctic is a Class 4 Laser. Do not allow unprotected eye exposure to diffusely scattered light from the beam terminating on a wall, the floor or other flat surface from this laser closer than 3 feet. Accidental eye exposure will definitely result in instant retina tissue damage even within just milliseconds of exposure. Direct eye contact with the beam or reflected will cause instant permanent damage and blindness. Sometimes blindness may take a day or longer for the onset. Unlike instant injury from a bright flash of a red or green laser, this effect is cumulative over 24 hours. It is also possible that such an exposure could cause retinal degeneration and even loss of vision later in life.

This is a very serious issue and would like to reiterate that extreme care, proper safety gear and the necessary safety precautions be followed when using the Spyder III Pro Arctic, it is not a toy, it is a high power Class 4 1W laser. In addition, this laser must NEVER be used to play with your pets. At close range, this Class 4 beam will cause immediate and irreversable retinal damage. Close proximity to the beam's diffused reflection off floors and walls could potentially cause injury and blindness. In general, DO NOT aim this laser on yourself, on your skin, on animals, on others or target moving vehicles and airplanes.

The Spyder III Pro Arctic blue laser should only be handheld by individuals who have appropriate laser safety training and product familiarity in using Class 4 lasers. For more information and guidance please refer to ANSI Standard Z136.1 from the American National Standards Institute on the safe use of lasers."

Last edited: