Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Zealand Laser Law Change - DUE March 1st 2014

Spooky

In answer to the "how will they prove" questions...

They won't...it's called probable cause...they will simply seize the item and ship it off to some lab somewhere who will write up a nice big report on how your death ray is illegal.

Much the same way they do here in the UK,

The "reasonable suspicion" of the officer concerned will be enough to seize pending further investigation. Same as walking down the street with a bag full of white powder looking sheepish, they will simply seize it and send it away to be tested.

cheers

Dave

oh dear, it also include acquisition! so there goes the second hand market.

Last edited:

Well Spooky you may be correct about that in the UK but having a laser pointer here in the USA is as common as having a pen or pencil or any other tool. Carrying a bag of white powder around and looking sheepish isn't normal and may constitute a reasonable suspicion depending on the circumstances. But more than being argumentative, the point I really want to make is that WE must stand up for our rights or they will be taken. Having a laser pointer really should not meet the definition of reasonable suspicion in a modern society, and if they choose to set that precedence then we must rattle the cage and raise enough hell to make them back off if we can. I can't take this abuse lying down anymore, this insanity about outlawing certain devices rather than bad behaviors has got to end or before you know it we will all just be automatons of the system without any rights or freedoms except to bow the knee to big brother.

Spooky

Hiya J,

It's never about what is right or stopping dangerous behaviour, it's about appearing to do something to make the underinformed public feel safer in their daily lives (note: member of public = registered voter)
The only way to win this kind of situation is to appeal to the public and not the law makers, if the public realise there is very little to no threat they won't press the governments to take action over a perceived threat.

100,000 members of the public saying "stuff the lasers what about fixing the drug problem" will have far more effect than writing to members of a government in any country.

The biggest ally is also the worst enemy.....the media...

cheers

Dave

Hey Spooky,

Your last two post speak a lot of truth!
I believe they would seize any laser and send it away 2 a lab or other source for testing or either they will just chuck them in there MASSIVE exhibit rooms for good with all the confiscated goodies go and say "we don't have enough resources to test these items" mine now

also appearing to do something to make the underinformed public feel safer etc , that is very true, they want to seem like theyr making the country a whole lot safer, so the public keep the Party voted in because they made so many amazing changes ......

for a while there i thought NZ was a little bit cooler than all the other countrys with regards to the "No Laser laws" being able to import a full build no problems and stuff like that , In 2 months we will be one of the countrys with the worst Laser laws,

From one of the best Laser law countrys to almost the worst by the Push of a Pen.
Stupid Pen...Ohh i mean stupid government.. ahh theyr both stupid:mad:

Bro get your lasers in now! while you can!

I actually am beginning to feel lucky here in the U.S. !

:beer:
-Matt

yup im buying a couple of decoys 2 accompany my 1.3+w and 3+w dominator, but some how I think they wil realize if im pointing at stars with a dominator then I handover a cold 5mw overspec ebay pen lol,

Gona get a few various adjustable focus 532nm to test and maybe sell them 2 friends after law change.....woops I mean accidentally misplace them at friend house

and also looking at a 300mW 532nm for myself, thinking about SFAG 300mW?

im Half prepared anyway.
wouldn't be surprised if customs would be keeping Dibs on lasers now and people ordering a few just before law change may get flagd or some extra eyes on future parcels (home build parts etc) or report you to Local Authoritys for possible Resale, sounds paranoid but Hey if I was a customs officer and was tryna climb the ranks or get brownie points I would be doing this....

Seems hecka expensive to ship out each suspected laser. For what seems like what would be a minor infraction.

Hello there fellow LPM Members,
New Zealand has been Reviewing Laser laws for Over a year now, Currently There are absolutely no laws that are Laser specific around possession, import, sale etc

But it seems that a few incidents over the last year or two have shone some unwanted light back at us New Zealanders who Have a passion for Laser pointers along with the few idiots that abuse them,

On March 1st 2014 it will be illegal to Import a laser with greater output than 1mW and as i understand the sale/supply of lasers greater than 1mW will also be prohibited,
there are exceptions with regards to Astronomers, NZ citizens who write buttered up letters to the MINISTRY OF HEALTH, Military and some other authorised citizens.
And just to top it off we have A member of parliament who is trying to Pass another law to make it illegal to carry a Laser Pointer greater than 1mW in a "Public place"
I think its soooo hard to even TRY to get a laser pointer less than 1mW, its hard enough to get a laser pointer putting out less than 5mW these days with all the overspec,

We all know we can still do home builds and take "other" measures to obtain a Laser Pointer that would be over 1mW, but that is not the point, the only point is disapPOINT!
Im just so disappointed that the minority has f***ed it up for the Majority:cryyy:

Im Glad I Got my Copper DominatoR from Blord on Xmas Eve 2013:D

But anyway I Just thought I would Share this Information with LPF so the Builders, Buyers and anybody else on here is aware of the change so
that our Hard earned money and time spend on building lasers is not wasted while New Zealand Customs get brownie points.

I Have not yet studied this new law with great depth but anyway here is a LINK to the High-power laser pointers | Ministry of Health NZ Page

I hope this thread will encourage NZ LPF members to buy some awsum builds :)bowdown: Copper DominatoR :bowdown: etc) while its still easy,
Times Runnin Out

It's ok to complain it is understandable, but if that is all you do then you have no reason to complain. Organize laser enthusiasts in your country and speak to the politicians.

It's ok to complain it is understandable, but if that is all you do then you have no reason to complain. Organize laser enthusiasts in your country and speak to the politicians.

Well said. Unfortunately the way things have gone over the past 40 years in the USA even the "rule of law" and even Constitution of the United States are practically ignored by our politicians. If they won't follow or observe what's on the books already (which should be protecting our rights from this sort of trash legislation) I think there is little hope for us in this regards. The problem with the idea of forming enthusiast groups and lobbying legislators is we've already let them set the narrative. I don't disagree with the sentiment that if you don't do something about it then don't complain, I just see this as a symptom of a much larger problem. Fortunately we've not been hit with this sort of device banning legislation here yet regarding lasers. But we've already seen this with gun legislation and other areas.

We need a change of mentality within our government, not a change in laws by those currently participating in it. My opinion of course....

Here's another swell example of out of control law making....went to the corner grocery store to get something for my sinuses And was told they just quit selling Sudafed because the hassle of selling it and keeping records for who buys what just wasn't worth it. We now have laws here that restrict the number of daily tablets an individual can buy to 30 or so, and this must be tracked and ID must be shown. Now the war on drugs and Meth production has kept my sinuses inflamed and there's not an iota of proof meth cooking and drug use is on the decline......imagine that....

I wonder if there was any scientific reason they chose 1mw over any other power of laser to ban? I am willing to bet they didn't.

ixfd64

I'm not surprised the law actually passed. Let's just hope it will not be strictly enforced.

yes I do understand that, but as I have read the law , the law is already passed in 2013 and is all go but the date it is due to kick in is march 1st 2014, bit of a bugger really, ill just have to write letters to the director of MOH before importing any more lasers outlining my safety aspects of laser usage, tell them how it is for personal use and I do not plan to EVER re sell any of my lasers and reason for importing etc,