Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New use for eBay HID batteries :)

Things

Was going away from the weekend, and I needed a way of topping up my phone. Didn't think far enough ahead to buy one of the 18650 boxes from DX, and I don't even really have enough 18650's as it is, so I decided to put this battery pack to another use!

Disclaimer: This "mod" relies on the fact that the battery provides an output voltage on it's jack, which is used by the charger to detect when it's full. I have not investigated what circuitry is behind this jack, so be careful how much juice you try pull from it. Also be very cautious of short circuiting it. If there is no actual circuitry between the jack and the battery pack, shorting it out can be seriously dangerous.

Basically, all it is is a 7805 voltage regulator, a capacitor, a USB jack and a DC jack.

A linear regulator is not the best way to do this, those battery charging boxes use switchmode topology for a reason, the linear regulator gets fairly hot at this voltage input, especially with large loads, such as mobile phones. As it only has the USB connectors as it's heatsinking, I wouldn't recommend using this for high power devices.

The DC jack connector isn't very solid how I have it now, so you need to be careful you can't accidentally bend the jack and short something out.

Also note that the USB connector has small pressure pads on each side. When I soldered the 7805 regulator on, it pushes these little tabs down, making it slightly difficult to insert the USB cable. However, there is no way the connector could fall out like this, and it also aids in thermal transfer from the connector to the plug a bit more. If you want to build it like this, I'd recommend trimming the tabs, or insert the USB cable before plugging it into the battery.

Aaannndd, another note. Because I have not opened the battery up and looked at the circuitry, I am not sure whether this jack has low voltage cutoff protection or not. Be wary of that, I'm not responsible if you blow yourself up or burn your house down!
Anyway, pictures!

DSCF5259.jpg

The regulator looks a bit old and beaten up, because, well, it is :p

It is just soldered to the USB connector, as the 7805 tab is ground.

DSCF5262.jpg

It gets warm/hot pretty quickly charging my phone, but hopefully it should last enough to give me some decent usage.

Picoprojector too!

DSCF5265.jpg

Although it gets hot rather quickly running this, so like I said, good for small devices.

Dan

Last edited:

Things

Yeah, woulda just bought one of the 1 8 6 5 0 charging boxes from DX, but I needed it for tomorrow :p

Fiddy

haha nice macgyver work right there! improvise, adapt, overcome.

What is the Voltage of your battery pack in the photos...??
and what is the input voltage requirements of your phone..??

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

ped

His phone will charge on 5v

I'm assuming the batt pack is is quite a bit more.

Things

11.1v nominal, phone is 5V as you'd expect for a USB device, so yes, a fair bit of wasted power, but it works for what I need it for.

You could put a resistor in series with the input
to the 7805 regulator to dissipate some of the
excess heat of the regulator.....

Here are some other ways to decrease the high
(12V) down to something more palatable for
the 7805..

http://www.edaboard.com/thread243455.html

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Or you could market it as a combination phone charger / fingertip heater, for those days when your phone is dead and your fingertips are cold :san:

vk2fro

I do this with one of those little ebay buck converters that are around $5 a piece. Basically you feed em a fixed voltage in one end, adjust the trimpot, and you get a fixed different voltage out the other. Works great on trips where 5v usb devices need a top up, such as our camping trips. We often take a pocket wifi modem for the purpose of getting on the net and getting photos of the trip kinda "live" onto facebook and other services.

The pocket wifi will run all weekend off the converter, which runs off a pair of 7Ah 12v connected in series and the buck converter gets barely warm. The model I have can source up to 3 Amps, so 500ma to charge a pocket wifi, my android phone or the other phones about the campsite is no trouble for it. It does get a bit warm when I connect the ipad however.

Off Topic, but we cover the entire campsite in signal, by placing the pocket wifi into a ziplock bag, shooting a line over a tree branch and dragging it up into the tree. Power gets there via a piece of figure 8 cable for hifi speakers, with a usb plug on one end, and a bnc socket on the other. When charging other devices, we can either use my inverter (it provides 240v as well as a usb port), or unplug the pocket wifi, which will continue to run off its internal battery. The 12V batteries just sit at the base of the tree in a small box.