Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New toys for high power flashlights

They should make some array packages like the projector arrays. 2x2 3x3 4x4 6x6 8x8 ..... 8x8 would be 64000 lumens

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I'll take two of those 8x8s RC. I think that would fit in my taillight lenses on my car. Add a momentary contact switch and voila--no tailgaters!

Haha very funny, actually it could be too directional depending on how well the array would focus.
I have a zoom head flashlight with a led array and it doesn't focus as tight as a single emitter, but it is hella bright.
You can just make out the rows and columns in the bottom pic, looks like about 100 or more emitters, I didn't count.

SANY6623.JPG
SANY6629.JPG

I got it to show under some 365nm light. Looks more like 200 my count is 10,13,17,19,21,22,22,21,19,17,13,10.....yep 200

SANY6633.JPG

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
That's a lotta die. Seriously though, you're right about the directionality of these. @ roughly 50 lumens/watt these aren't particularly efficient but you can get a really nice tight beam with just a cheap lens. Of course you need to get rid of almost 20 watts of heat somewhere which would likely be the limiting factor for runtime in handhelds.

Dusty_Lenses

I'll take two of those 8x8s RC. I think that would fit in my taillight lenses on my car. Add a momentary contact switch and voila--no tailgaters!
lol I had the same thought using the red led out of the 'cashew' projectors. IIRC they run at 12A or so. Would have to wire up with a relay
but i'm sure would be very effective. Perhaps a timed short pulse so its not so dangerous?

Naw they aren't that bright, not like this flashlight, you can push the red/orange projector arrays @ 7-9A

Dusty_Lenses

Naw they aren't that bright, not like this flashlight, you can push the red/orange projector arrays @ 7-9A
Wasn't comparing them, but given the nature of the post even the red LED would be overkill. That is unless the goal is not to make a point of 'back off' and enter into the realm of doing harm.

Increased brightness of red may cause discomfort, but do not trigger the neutralization of the rhodopsin. Wouldn't want to be messing with a drivers night vision.

OIC I missed the point somehow, yea for tail lights it's all too bright, hell some of the LED taillights manufacturers put out now leave afterimages, I'm just glad they stopped with those early led's that had to be pulsed, you know the visual " trail-lights " that leave a trail as you scan the road ahead, I could just imagine a highway full of them, lol

Any kind of dazzle-light on the back of your car would be illegal, but what about coating your rear window, of the entire rear of your car, with that electro-tint that goes from transparent to mirror like, in effect you would be reflecting the rude SUV drivers projector beam brights back towards him with the flick of a switch....again for stationary stop light use only.......naw it would still be illegal I bet, like a chrome car, there's a limit as to how much surface area can be chrome.......could put all the chrome on the back I suppose.

This will get you a pocket full of tickets >

5c386a703c52841bb2341a67dd1d397c.jpg

Last edited:

Dusty_Lenses

OIC I missed the point somehow, yea for tail lights it's all too bright, hell some of the LED taillights manufacturers put out now leave afterimages, I'm just glad they stopped with those early led's that had to be pulsed, you know the visual " trail-lights " that leave a trail as you scan the road ahead, I could just imagine a highway full of them, lol

Any kind of dazzle-light on the back of your car would be illegal, but what about coating your rear window, of the entire rear of your car, with that electro-tint that goes from transparent to mirror like, in effect you would be reflecting the rude SUV drivers projector beam brights back towards him with the flick of a switch....again for stationary stop light use only.......naw it would still be illegal I bet, like a chrome car, there's a limit as to how much surface area can be chrome.......could put all the chrome on the back I suppose.

This will get you a pocket full of tickets >

5c386a703c52841bb2341a67dd1d397c.jpg
Radar traps must love that car lol

I don't think it would make any real difference with radar or laser speed guns.

Dusty_Lenses

I don't think it would make any real difference with radar or laser speed guns.

What areas of a vehicle do police officers target?​

Laser guns require a reflective target to get a reading off of so police have several primary targets that they aim for when clocking moving vehicles. These include:

• Headlights / tail lights
  • Grill
  • License plate
BMW M3

Those are shiny and reflective targets that make it easy for a laser gun to get a speed reading.

Modern laser guns can get a reading off of most anywhere on the car including your bumper, body panels, and so on, but police will generally target the most reflective targets.

That silver car wrap is just a vinyl, there's no real metal in it, that said I still don't think it would make any real difference, the car will still reflect the microwave or laser radar with or without it.

Now if you coated your car in multi-wall nanotubes that could absorb the k, ka, x band police radar.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Surplus store in my area had ferrite paint a couple years back. Markings indicated military origin. It disappeared quickly.