Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to the hobby

Hello my name is Miguel and I just got into the hobby a couple of month ago, as of right now I have a 650nm, a 405nm and a 532nm laser all are from eBay and they aren't powerful enough to burn. I recently acquire a 532nm laser diode from a friend. i would like to build a powerful enough laser to burn trough paper. I would like to know what driver and power source I should get to combined it with the diode?

Here are the photos of the diode

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Do you happen to know the make/model of the diode? All diodes have different power ratings so if you could give us info on what the diode is or what it came from, it would be very helpful.

My friend said that it was from a pen style laser, I asume that has to be one of those that uses triple A batteries

Welcome to lpf. Without the specs, you wont know what driver to use. And a word of caution, use certified laser goggles if you are using a laser strong enough to burn. Your eyes will thank you for that

Last edited:
That was the first thing I bought, I had a pair of safety goggles before my first laser. The diode belong to a pen laser that used two triple A batteries, that's only info that I could find about the specs

Unfortunately without the manufacturer of the diode you cannot conclusively determine the specs of the diode. I'd ask DTR or jayrob and see what they think. They are very skilled and knowledgeable members. If you want a burning laser I would go to DTRs laser shop and get one if his NUBM44s, I can't stress enough how awesome DTR is

Ok thank you, I will ask them and see if I can find something and hopefully make the laser, even if it doesn't burn, I just want to have the experience of making one

Hello my name is Miguel and I just got into the hobby a couple of month ago, as of right now I have a 650nm, a 405nm and a 532nm laser all are from eBay and they aren't powerful enough to burn. I recently acquire a 532nm laser diode from a friend. i would like to build a powerful enough laser to burn trough paper. I would like to know what driver and power source I should get to combined it with the diode?

Here are the photos of the diode
I've never heard of a diode coming in 532nm wavelength. Those are always DPSS. I'd recommend you buy a presoldered diode/driver assembly from dtr and put it in a c6 host. 1.5-2 watts should be enough the slowly burn through white paper.

Unfortunately without the manufacturer of the diode you cannot conclusively determine the specs of the diode. I'd ask DTR or jayrob and see what they think. They are very skilled and knowledgeable members. If you want a burning laser I would go to DTRs laser shop and get one if his NUBM44s, I can't stress enough how awesome DTR is
I really can't recommend that diode simply for burning. Although it is a great diode, and I enjoy it very much, the divergence is simply horrific. The OP would probably appreciate something that can be pointed into the sky, as well as for burning. I think there are several 3-4.5 watt type diodes that would work perfectly, but have much better divergence.

For $80 you can buy yourself a 2 watt M140 from DTR already with the driver. I am not sure, but I'd assume this one has better divergence than the next one.

For even more power, his $104 NUBM05 is a 3.5 watt diode, which could easily light up white paper. If you got this one, make sure to get it with either the 3 element or G2 lens, +$6 and +$25 respectively. This will allow you to focus it for better burning, rather than using the stock G-ball.

Either of these could be assembled into a C6 or S4 host from survival laser.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Mikebau :) I don't know how much DTR would be able to get out of those images, but it is worth a shot.
I personally would never recommend the NUBM44 for a someone who is new to the hobby. They are considered too dangerous for experienced members. Start with a 100mW 532nm, to get a gist of burning and then work upwards. It is powerful enough to burn, but good to safely practice with. When I first started I used a 1mW 532, then I modified it to 30-40mW. And then got my first Class IV. I didn't jump right into it, as it allowed me to learn the safety basics first.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Thank you for the welcoming :). Yeah I just looking for something to start, I'm not trying to get my self hurt haha. I also was looking to see if i could build a light blue laser, I've seen videos of those and they look beautiful. What recommendations could you give me, it doesn't have to burn through anything.

I've never heard of a diode coming in 532nm wavelength. Those are always DPSS. I'd recommend you buy a presoldered diode/driver assembly from dtr and put it in a c6 host. 1.5-2 watts should be enough the slowly burn through white paper.

I really can't recommend that diode simply for burning. Although it is a great diode, and I enjoy it very much, the divergence is simply horrific. The OP would probably appreciate something that can be pointed into the sky, as well as for burning. I think there are several 3-4.5 watt type diodes that would work perfectly, but have much better divergence.

For $80 you can buy yourself a 2 watt M140 from DTR already with the driver. I am not sure, but I'd assume this one has better divergence than the next one.

For even more power, his $104 NUBM05 is a 3.5 watt diode, which could easily light up white paper. If you got this one, make sure to get it with either the 3 element or G2 lens, +$6 and +$25 respectively. This will allow you to focus it for better burning, rather than using the stock G-ball.

Either of these could be assembled into a C6 or S4 host from survival laser.

LOL you dissed the NUBM44 for a burning laser and recommended the M140, you cannot be serious :crackup: the divergence of the NUBM44 isn't bad at all, I can set a brown paper bag on fire over 15 feet away, the most the M140 could do is make a dark spot on it :crackup:

Last edited:

diachi

LOL you dissed the NUBM44 for a burning laser and recommended the M140, you cannot be serious :crackup: the divergence of the NUBM44 isn't bad at all, I can set a brown paper bag on fire over 15 feet away, the most the M140 could do is make a dark spot on it :crackup:

That doesn't mean he isn't right about the divergence. His overall point isn't bad.

OP - That module (It's not just a diode, there are laser crystals and other optics in there, thus, module) won't be good enough for burning paper. Hard to say what power it'd be without testing it, but likely not more than 100mW.

Last edited:
I just made a micro build with a BDR-209 I think it was, I'll have a link to it when I get some time to make a thread but yeah that diode will burn things at a far distance, but it wont set it on fire like the NUBM44 would

I don't know who is dreaming, or how long you keep your laser on for, but my NUBM44 has too broad of a beam at 15 feet to do that. Maybe you've invested in corrective optics?
The M140 will burn and is safer.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The NUBM44 definitely would need corrective optics for burning with that magnitude at 4.5m. The M140 is still dangerous for anyone new to the hobby, I burnt my thumb once with this diode. For light blue, you need to look at the M462 and NDBM07E's but again these are too powerful for beginner use.

I don't know who is dreaming, or how long you keep your laser on for, but my NUBM44 has too broad of a beam at 15 feet to do that. Maybe you've invested in corrective optics?
The M140 will burn and is safer.

Yeah I have a G2 and a 3x BE from sanwu