Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to the forum

Hey everyone, im new here.
I live in western Canada, and do fabrication, including welding, vehicle modifications, gadget building, etc.
i am 31 years old, and have been a DIY'er for as long as i can remember, always modifying this or that, taking stuff apart to find out how it works. I have been requested to build a tool incorporating lasers, thus i am here. you all seem extremely knowledgeable in this field, whereas i am just starting to learn.

i need some help with a project i am working on, and apparently wont get any help unless i disclose information about myself, so hopefully this suffices, if not, ask away :p

https://laserpointerforums.com/f45/10-lasers-1-power-supply-plus-dimming-101949.html

thank you.

Encap

Hey everyone, im new here.
I live in western Canada, and do fabrication, including welding, vehicle modifications, gadget building, etc.
i am 31 years old, and have been a DIY'er for as long as i can remember, always modifying this or that, taking stuff apart to find out how it works. I have been requested to build a tool incorporating lasers, thus i am here. you all seem extremely knowledgeable in this field, whereas i am just starting to learn.

i need some help with a project i am working on, and apparently wont get any help unless i disclose information about myself, so hopefully this suffices, if not, ask away :p

https://laserpointerforums.com/f45/10-lasers-1-power-supply-plus-dimming-101949.html

thank you.

Welcome and enjoy the forum.
I did give you information --they not LEDs they are DPSS lasers driven by an 808nm IR diode. Theyare never going to be all the same except when off. The outputs are all different to begin with because they are DPSS lasers if they are 532nm green and change constantly due to temperature, they will overheat very quickly with no heatsinks.

LASER DRIvER REGULATES CURRENT NOT VOLTAGE --"What is a laser diode driver? In the most ideal form, it is a constant current source, linear, noiseless, and accurate, that delivers exactly the current to the laser diode that it needs to operate for a particular application. The user chooses whether to keep laser diode current constant and at what level. Then the control system drives current to the laser diode safely and at the appropriate level. The block diagram in Figure 1 shows a very basic laser diode driver (or sometimes known as a laser diode power supply). Each symbol is defined in the table below. Each section is described in detail below. Laser diode drivers vary widely in feature set and performance. This block diagram is a representative sample, meant to familiarize the users with terminology and basic elements, not an exhaustive evaluation of what is available on the market."
See: https://www.teamwavelength.com/info/laserdiodedrivers.php

Last edited:
Welcome and enjoy the forum.
I did give you information --they not LEDs they are DPSS lasers driven by an 808nm IR diode. Theyare never going to be all the same except when off. The outputs are all different to begin with because they are DPSS lasers if they are 532nm green and change constantly due to temperature, they will overheat very quickly with no heatsinks.

LASER DRIvER REGULATES CURRENT NOT VOLTAGE --"What is a laser diode driver? In the most ideal form, it is a constant current source, linear, noiseless, and accurate, that delivers exactly the current to the laser diode that it needs to operate for a particular application. The user chooses whether to keep laser diode current constant and at what level. Then the control system drives current to the laser diode safely and at the appropriate level. The block diagram in Figure 1 shows a very basic laser diode driver (or sometimes known as a laser diode power supply). Each symbol is defined in the table below. Each section is described in detail below. Laser diode drivers vary widely in feature set and performance. This block diagram is a representative sample, meant to familiarize the users with terminology and basic elements, not an exhaustive evaluation of what is available on the market."
See: https://www.teamwavelength.com/info/laserdiodedrivers.php

i updated my thread. thank you for this information, maybe i have bitten off more than i can chew with this project...

Encap

i updated my thread. thank you for this information, maybe i have bitten off more than i can chew with this project...

Perhaps--getting 10 of them to be identical when they are not identically to begin with and output depends on factors other than electrical --is probably a bit moe than you want to do--even if exactly the same when you turn them on , they will all change output differently based on efficiency of the crystal system and temperature

Dimming a laser is possible. You can do it with TTL modulation (digital/PWM) but you can also get drivers that accept a 0-5V analogue modulation signal

Use the LFP Custom Search at the bottom of the page--search "laser dimmer"

See this thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/f67/pulsing-pwm-dimming-100312.html

and this one https://laserpointerforums.com/f67/pwm-laser-dimmer-74445-2.html

Last edited:
Why the intermittent capitalization of the letter I when referring to yourself and at the beginning of sentences?

Dimming a laser is possible. You can do it with TTL modulation (digital/PWM) but you can also get drivers that accept a 0-5V analogue modulation signal

Use the LFP Custom Search at the bottom of the page--search "laser dimmer"

See this thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/f67/pulsing-pwm-dimming-100312.html

and this one https://laserpointerforums.com/f67/pwm-laser-dimmer-74445-2.html

i built a PWM do dim the lasers. indivually, they all dim great, from a very dim dot on the wall, up to full power, and very smooth transition between. my problem is when i add more than 1 laser to the PWM circuit... one always dims before the other, and i do not understand why... if i connect just 1 laser up to my PWM, regardless of which laser with which resistance it is, it responds the same...

Why the intermittent capitalization of the letter I when referring to yourself and at the beginning of sentences?

i have no Idea... maybe It's just something I am not concIously paying attentIon to?

Honestly, i dont care what the output actually is, i just need to have them all appear to be the same brightness. Cant have 5 dim, 2 barely on, 1 not dimmed at all, and 2 off...

Im just really hoping there is a solution to my problem... i tried to break down the driver circuit to incorporate a potentiometer into it, but was unsucessful. Ive been trying to figure this out for 5 days haha, figured its time to ask for help from pros who build stuff like this all the time...

Last edited:

Encap

Please do not double and triple post--is very frowned upon on LPF.

Use the edit button t consolidate several item in one post

Perhaps--getting 10 of them to be identical when they are not identically to begin with and output depends on factors other than electrical --is probably a bit moe than you want to do--even if exactly the same when you turn them on , they will all change output differently based on efficiency of the crystal system and temperature

i had no idea you posted that, as i dont get notifications for edits... this is why i double/triple post... BUT ANYWAYS, i agree with you here. i contacted my client, and we are looking into different types of lasers. I now have to do research on Direct Diode Lasers... where to get them, how they work, etc. i need to be more informed than when i accepted this project... i thought 'oh yea, i can make 10 lasers run off the same power source so you dont have to change batteries every hour' haha! then i was told i needed to make them dimmable, which i also thought was not a big deal. i had no (ZERO) idea lasers were this friggin complex haha! i was successful with getting one laser to dim flawlessly, but not 2 at the same time.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy and be safe. :wave:

Thank you sir! the wealth of information on this site is really overwhelming haha! im trying to learn advanced electronics at the same time i am working on this laser project... never stop learning...
i can weld and build offroad vehicles no problem.
i keep fish and build my own aquariums, from cutting my own glass to building my own filtration systems and stands.
i do some electronics, mostly automotive stuff, and nothing with IC's EVER before haha!
i do blacksmithing and bladesmithing.
i build and fly my own RC aircraft, being planes or multirotors (drones).
i do machining and make/modify anything to get a desired result.

im not scared to learn how to do something new, but this lasers and advanced electronics thing is a WHOLE other beast in and of itself! very steep learning curve.

Last edited:

BobMc

@analog56x; with all your hands on experience at diy projects it sounds like you have a good basic for learning. Read the thread about how drivers work.

https://laserpointerforums.com/f67/how-laser-diode-drivers-work-explanatory-thread-71513.html

I'm still a new builder myself but I learned a great deal for reading up on how/why drivers work and the different types. Best wishes and hoping the best for your project.

Here's a couple of links where you can find what you might need;

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes

https://www.survivallaser.com/

On the Survival page there's a tutorial on how to build, you might want to check out. :)

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to the Forum...
Nice to know a little about yourself...
Hope it didn't hurt too much...:yh:
Enjoy your stay and be Laser Safe...

Jerry

Last edited:
@analog56x; with all your hands on experience at diy projects it sounds like you have a good basic for learning. Read the thread about how drivers work.

https://laserpointerforums.com/f67/how-laser-diode-drivers-work-explanatory-thread-71513.html

I'm still a new builder myself but I learned a great deal for reading up on how/why drivers work and the different types. Best wishes and hoping the best for your project.

Here's a couple of links where you can find what you might need;

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes

https://www.survivallaser.com/

On the Survival page there's a tutorial on how to build, you might want to check out. :)

Ill definitely check out those links. I found DTR's site early this morning (1am) while researching lasers. Ive been watching StyroPyro on youtube for a couple weeks, and found one of his 520nm laser videos. He mentioned he got the diode from a DTR on here, and posted a link to his website. I found exactly what we need, for around the same price as the lasers i was originally after, except those other ones were also DPSS.

I cant wait to get this thing finished!
Got an email back from my client, and we'll order up the DLD's once these DPSS burn out, and convert it to a dimmable box once that happens. For now, maybe if its too bright, we could just put a lense or something over the end of the laser body to tone it down...

:wave: Welcome to the Forum...
Nice to know a little about yourself...
Hope it didn't hurt too much...:yh:
Enjoy your stay and be Laser Safe...

Jerry

Haha, it was pretty painless. I was just stressed out and panicking about this whole project blowing up in my face.
I havent been an active member on a forum in probably 6 years.
I guess getting "scolded" right off the bat kinda put me in a mood. But the amount of information that i learned in the 8 or so hours on here has set me in the right direction, and i no longer feel like im beating my head into a wall.

Everyone has been super helpful. Im gunna get this box whipped up and sent out, and then when i build the next one, ill make sure we get the DLD's from DTR on here. I just hope he has enough stock haha :p

:beer:

Encap

Ill definitely check out those links. I found DTR's site early this morning (1am) while researching lasers. Ive been watching StyroPyro on youtube for a couple weeks, and found one of his 520nm laser videos. He mentioned he got the diode from a DTR on here, and posted a link to his website. I found exactly what we need, for around the same price as the lasers i was originally after, except those other ones were also DPSS.

I cant wait to get this thing finished!
Got an email back from my client, and we'll order up the DLD's once these DPSS burn out, and convert it to a dimmable box once that happens. For now, maybe if its too bright, we could just put a lense or something over the end of the laser body to tone it down...

Haha, it was pretty painless. I was just stressed out and panicking about this whole project blowing up in my face.
I havent been an active member on a forum in probably 6 years.
I guess getting "scolded" right off the bat kinda put me in a mood. But the amount of information that i learned in the 8 or so hours on here has set me in the right direction, and i no longer feel like im beating my head into a wall.

Everyone has been super helpful. Im gunna get this box whipped up and sent out, and then when i build the next one, ill make sure we get the DLD's from DTR on here. I just hope he has enough stock haha :p

:beer:

You better get an education on Laser safety and on Laser laws, rules, and regulations in Canada and USA before you find yourself on the outside looking in.

What you and or your Customer want to do may be illegal and putting everyone involved at risk. Not know what you are doing can have serious consequences.

I put a little of the info in your other thread.

Last edited:
You better get and education on Laser safety and on Laser laws, rules, and regulations in Canada and USA before you find yourself on the outside looking in.

What you and or your Customer want to do may be illegal and putting everyone involved at risk. Not know what you are doing can have serious consequences.

I put a little of the info in your other thread.

yes, i saw that, thank you for the information! i let him know that if i am to go ANY further with this project, i need a laser meter to detune to lasers down to 4mW or less. im sure these 532 DPSS lasers are over 5mW, they emit a slightly visible beam, even in daylight.

if i am understanding this correctly, if the lasers are under 4mW, then i am safe?

Last edited: