Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to site and lasers from Ohio,USA

AirgunStu

Hi guys. Just joined hoping to get some answeres to some questions I have and learn about lasers along the way. I guess I should post in the general chat for my actual detailed question. I'm basically trying to get suggestions on a unit to use hunting that is visible in daylight but also can maintain a very tight, small "dot" at about 100 yards or less. IV been browsing for a few weeks and finally decided to join up. Look forward to chatting with you fine folks!

diachi

Hi there & welcome to LPF!
For hunting I recommend basic "Red Dot sight" for hunting.
-Meanwhile Green "dot" is most visible color to human eye, and there is some "532nm green modules" but i'm afraid green dot lasers ain't good for hunting. -Usually 532nm green lasers are based to DPSS laser and they are very sensitive to temperature changes and shake etc.

Surely there are some 520 direct diode laser sights out there now? I'll need to take a look - DPSS sure ain't going to work up here in winter.

AirgunStu

Hmm I was thinking green would be better for daylight viewing. I have tried a few reds but they were barely visible beyond 30 feet or so. Maybe because they were more budget lasers and not the best units. So a higher power red would yield good visibility and be able to maintain a bright compact, precise dot? Any particular sites or dealers you recommend? My budget it around $150.

Red lasers are closer to one end of the visible spectrum, so they look dimmer than wavelengths closer to the middle of the spectrum. If you aren't hunting in very cold environments a 532nm DPSS laser sight might work well enough for you. They aren't that sensitive to movement, but are to very cold temperatures. You can get a module that approaches 100 mW for very little money at Fasttech. But, you would have to put this into a sight, so it is doable.

Hi
There are green laser sight designed specially for mounting to a rifle or shotgun.
And to deal with the felt recoil of the firearm.
Do your research remember you get what you pay for.
Forget about having a build made you would also need an adjustable mount for windage and elevation. It also depends on the size rings it will accept.
I been in the related firearms since I was 14 years old this is nothing new to me
Save your money and invest in a top quality green laser dot sight
Hope this sheds some light on your questions.
Rich:)

Anthony P

Hello. Wondering what part of Ohio. I am in Port Clinton and often travel to Columbus. BTW I am no hunter.

AirgunStu

Red lasers are closer to one end of the visible spectrum, so they look dimmer than wavelengths closer to the middle of the spectrum. If you aren't hunting in very cold environments a 532nm DPSS laser sight might work well enough for you. They aren't that sensitive to movement, but are to very cold temperatures. You can get a module that approaches 100 mW for very little money at Fasttech. But, you would have to put this into a sight, so it is doable.
Yeah I wont be using it in anything near freezing temps. I don't mind finding a clamp or something to put it on to attach it to a rail.

Since you are only using this out to 100 yards I don't see the need for windage or changes in elevation or for other factors that are necessary for a scope on a rifle used at much greater distances. I have used my 532nm lasers outdoors in winter here without problems, but it rarely gets below freezing where I live. You can likely sight it in for anything out to 100 yards and leave it there.

AirgunStu

Hello. Wondering what part of Ohio. I am in Port Clinton and often travel to Columbus. BTW I am no hunter.
Yep I'm in Columbus. Almost due East of the airport in Blacklick. I'm no super Hunter. But I do some lite Airgun hunting and pest control and my buddy had a laser when we were under heavy tree canopy and it was really helpful in sighting through the scope and putting the laser dot on the target

Hi,
Yes windage and elevation adjustments are needed especially out to 100 yards. With a rifle with a cartridge round yes needed, air rifle the pellets are so light in .177, 20, and 25 caliber the drop and direction of wind and speed at a 100 yards your projectile drop is about 2 ft or greater. Even high power air guns 30 yards tops for accuracy . I also have high end air rifles in co2 and pump nematic versions ,the higher in grains of weight for the pellet the great and sooner the drop at the impact point.
Paul ,
You are the specto guru here at LPF but when it come to firearms well I have to disagree about not needing windage and elevation adjustment Been doing this for over 40 years + in repairs , modding and reloading rifle and pistol calibers. In this hobby precision and accuracy is a must with no line of error.

diachi

Hmm I was thinking green would be better for daylight viewing. I have tried a few reds but they were barely visible beyond 30 feet or so. Maybe because they were more budget lasers and not the best units. So a higher power red would yield good visibility and be able to maintain a bright compact, precise dot? Any particular sites or dealers you recommend? My budget it around $150.

I find that even the green is pretty hard to see past about 50 yards during the day, maybe even less. That's on a white surface too. You'll probably have better luck with a red dot sight or plain old iron sights.

Hi,
Yes windage and elevation adjustments are needed especially out to 100 yards. With a rifle with a cartridge round yes needed, air rifle the pellets are so light in .177, 20, and 25 caliber the drop and direction of wind and speed at a 100 yards your projectile drop is about 2 ft or greater. Even high power air guns 30 yards tops for accuracy . I also have high end air rifles in co2 and pump nematic versions ,the higher in grains of weight for the pellet the great and sooner the drop at the impact point.
Paul ,
You are the specto guru here at LPF but when it come to firearms well I have to disagree about not needing windage and elevation adjustment Been doing this for over 40 years + in repairs , modding and reloading rifle and pistol calibers. In this hobby precision and accuracy is a must with no line of error.
When using high powered rifles at distances up to 100 yards, or even less, it seems unlikely to me that they maybe off more than a couple inches in any direction. This is not sniper yardage or accuracy. I'm certain you have more experience with guns of all types than I have, but you needn't be an expert to find this kind of information. I'm certain in competition shooting that fractions of an inch count, but shooting deer or other large animal out to the length on a football field is a fairly short distance. I have known many hunters in Wyoming who went after Elk and moose and bear and took them at greater distances than that. They were all good shooters and though I hate that kind of meat was offered it by many every season.

When using high powered rifles at distances up to 100 yards, or even less, it seems unlikely to me that they maybe off more than a couple inches in any direction. This is not sniper yardage or accuracy. I'm certain you have more experience with guns of all types than I have, but you needn't be an expert to find this kind of information. I'm certain in competition shooting that fractions of an inch count, but shooting deer or other large animal out to the length on a football field is a fairly short distance. I have known many hunters in Wyoming who went after Elk and moose and bear and took them at greater distances than that. They were all good shooters and though I hate that kind of meat was offered it by many every season.

Hi Paul,
I only stated that because accuracy taking game is important to place a shot well at a vital organ and to drop the game with no suffering.
Thats why am a stickler to accuracy , larger mammals have stronger wills to survive please I hope I didn't offend you. I cant justify an animal suffering after the shot is placed. I am just very conservative about taking larger game.