Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to optics, need terminology help.

rhd

Hey guys,

For an upcoming build project, I may need to venture a bit further into optics than I have to date. Specifically, I may need to adjust each axis of a beam independently.

I want to have some optics options on hand ahead of time so that I can experiment once I have all the components. In trying to identify potentially useful lenses, I've come to the conclusion that it would be ideal to have:

- Plano convex
and
- Place concave

lenses on hand. However, what I have not identified, is the correct "terminology" for either of the above, if I simply want the contour to be 1 dimensional, not 2 (ie, not a circular shaped lens, but a square one)

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've spent a lot of time looking through the surplusshed.com inventory, and can't find what I'm looking for.

These are not actual pictures of stuff I'm considering, just google images to illustrate my thinking.

I want this:
http://image.tradevv.com/2008/11/26/chinaoptics_190031_600/plano-convex-cylindrical-lens.jpg

But have only been able to find this:
http://images-en.busytrade.com/77148000/Plano-convex-lens.jpg

rhd

That's what I thought - but I couldn't figure out how it fit into any of surplusshed's categories:

ACH, Achromat
DCX, Double Convex
PCX, Plano Convex
DCV, Double Concave
PCV, Plano Concave
TRP, Triplet
NMN, Negative Meniscus
PMN, Positive Meniscus
BCX, Biconvex
BCV, Biconcave

?

rhd

I don't know - in fact I think they're synonymous. Not sure why SurplusShed separates the two terms?

What you're looking for are cylindrical lenses. Just search for "cylindrical" on SS and it'll show you what they have. You can then apply the lens calculations on independent axes. Most are coated for red, so if you're looking for lenses that'll work with 445nm, you should see if you can buy some that came from Dr. Lava's group buy some time ago. I grabbed a set of the mounted cylindrical lenses some time ago, but haven't done anything with them yet.

You can also try using prism pairs to affect only one beam axis. Look up what andy_con did in the 445nm forum.

rhd

That's perfect - I'm actually looking for these for a red.

The challenge is, I have almost no figures to work with. So the idea of inexpensive optics to trial and error with is appealing.

If you want to change the elliptical shape of the beam to a circular shape, you normally use an anamorphic prism pair (see image from LaserComponents).
I would use an unmounted prism pair, which gives you more flexibility to adjust the beam. After your adjustment, you can easily clamp the prisms or fix them with some epoxy.
Please give us more details of your new project.

Attachments

• anamorphes_prismenpaar.jpg
    anamorphes_prismenpaar.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 197
PS: here's a quite cheap souce FOCtek

I don't know this company - no recommendation, just found it by Google.

rhd

Interesting!

I actually grabbed a plano concave and plano convex lens from surplusshed.com last night. Here's to hoping they'll work :) For the tiny price, it's almost hard to be concerned. That's a fantastic resource.