Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to lasers!

Hello everyone,
I am completely new to lasers and dont know a whole lot about them. I am very interested in the science behind them and want to learn how they work and what it takes to build them. I ordered parts to build a 1w 445 nm laser and should start that in a few weeks. I ordered the parts from DTR and survival laser and also ordered a good pair of goggles (OD4+ 190-540nm & 800-2000nm).
I will create another thread in the right section for when i build it. Could you guys guide me to some good books, videos, or articles i could read to get a better handle on the science behind lasers?

Glad i found this forum :thanks:

Also, i have been reading about IR filters and was wondering if i need to worry about that with my laser.

Last edited:

Razako

No, you don't need an IR filter for a 445nm laser. Only green 532nm and yellow 589/594nm lasers use those for the most part.

Sta

Welcome to the forum. Seems you're getting off to a running start!
We're glad to have you here, enjoy your stay. Can't wait for your build thread!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF jallis11! :beer:
Looks like you off to a good start, glad to see that you've considered safety goggles before you build.

Take a look at "Sam's Laser FAQ" site for a lot of laser knowledge!

Have fun, be safe , and enjoy your stay here at LPF! :)

Welcome

Learn, contribute, enjoy, and remember that laser safety is our life blood. :beer:

:gj: on getting the laser safety glasses.

Last edited:
Yea i knew goggles were a must especially because i got a powerful laser as my first one haha. In a few weeks you guys can expect my build thread. Will probably have alot of questions haha.

Welcome to the forum. Good to see you are thinking abut safety, that should always be first. +rep for that. :wave:
What host are you getting from Survival Lasers?

Just a quick tip about lenses. G2 lenses are for close up burning and engraving. 3 element lenses are for better beam shaping at the sacrifice of some burning power. This isnt all there is to it but worth mentioning to the newcomer. I thought the G2 was simple better since it was 3x the price. Thats just not how it works.

Last edited:
Thanks dden, I didnt know that. I got a G2 lens so guess I got the right one. I received all the parts in the mail and will start building it today.