Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to lasers...  help me choose!

mk2vr6

Hey guys. I've been doing some reading the last couple days and have learned a bit about laser pointers. I actually took a year in college for photonics engineering, so I'm picking it all back up in a hurry as it refreshes my memory.

Anyways, I'm interested in picking up a green laser pointer. I really want around a 125mW, something I can burn stuff with. I was originally looking for as cheap as possible but finding out the cheapo ones (such as the ones @ DX) do not come with IR filters is a bit scary.

Are the techlasers any good? They seem to have the most reasonably priced green 125mW laser. Short of them, dragonlasers and others seem to be well over the $300 mark.

So thanks for any possible help in this...

DX lasers ARE very cheap. They do come with IR filters, just very weak ones (so I've heard, they just say they don't for legal purposes). Techlasers aren't good. They are affiliated to Wicked Lasers and should be avoided. The best company for your first laser is Nova Lasers (so I've been told). They are cheap and very good.

mk2vr6

Re: New to lasers...  help me choose!

What exactly about WL and techlasers is to be avoided?

Well, WL has very questionable business tactics and expensive, considerably underpowered lasers. Techlasers are affiliated with WL and have very bad customer service and often send defective lasers. Basically, they will scam you out of your hard earned money :p

S

SenKat

mk2vr6 said:
What exactly about WL and techlasers is to be avoided?

Take a peek around the "companies" section of hte forum. You can read there all about techlasers, Wicked Lasers, and other commanies you should avoid delaing with for laser purchases.

logan

I have had my X-85 for about three months and I love it. It lights matches, pops balloons, cuts electrical tape, lights fireworks, and much more. For $160 w/out extras or $180 with extras I thought that it was a good deal.

if you're looking for an underpowered 125mW - WL/Techlasers is the way to go!

in layman terms:
their products suck
their customer support sucks
their business tactics suck

I would suggest not putting too much of a cost restraint as in the end you might not be happy if you put a cap on how much you're willing to spend. You might just want to wait and save a little more and get a Nova X-125mw as I have personally experienced how great their customer service and products are. Basically if you go through Nova if the laser isn't what you expected or wanted you'll have no problem returning it or exchanging it if it's broken.

Another place to check if you don't mind spending a little more would be www.laserglow.com you might want to look into the aries series, now that series is definetly more than 300, but it's an idea. Or you can even look into www.dragonlasers.com but if my memory serves me correctly then dragon and nova sell the same brand of CNI lasers.

so as many other I'm sure have told you, especially if you're under a budget, wicked is not the place to go for the simple fact that you're paying for the name, not better performance.

After reading many reviews on here I want with the alpha 125mw and I should get it in about a week I will tell you if it’s any good.... well I will tell you everything good about it because I know it’s going to be good considering all the reviews on here about nova.... anyway just letting you know

Great choice, you won't be disappointed.

make sure to upload lots of vids once you get it!!

yep.... when I get it lol should have opted for the extra 20$ to get the tnt shipping but because of the fact that after I bought the laser and used the form discount I only had $1.20 in my bank lol I count buy it so I had to go with the free.... its going to be a long week or 3 weeks or how ever long it is..... Order the 21st and today its still processing :| o well I am confident that I will get a great laser.... soon..... I hope..... Not giving up hope...... anyway I will post a review but I doubt this crappy camera will capture the true awwingness of this laser : )

Michael

Um for every body that has ordered from nova how long did it take for you to get your e mail about member ship because I still haven’t gotten mine…. Do you get it after the laser has ships, placed the order, or received?