Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to forums - Computer Science student interested in lasers

Hey guys,
My name is Chris and I'm new to the forums. I created an account a year ago because I was very interested in lasers then but I was terrified of messing up my eyes so I never really followed through with the interest. I also didn't know to create a welcome post so here is my welcome post, a year later haha. I'm a computer science major at Wright State University pursuing a cyber security certificate.
I really want to learn all about the internals of lasers and how everything works. Right now there is a lot of things I don't know but I'm eager to expand my knowledge. My favorite color (for lasers and just in general) is the 445nm wavelength.
So yeah, that's me and thanks for reading!

Eracoy

Hey, Chris! Glad to see you here. You've come to the right place to learn. Also, you're lucky you like the 445nm range so much, because that's where the low $/mW sweet spot sits. So you've got that goin' for you, which is nice.

Well that's awesome! You know sometimes I see people advertising 5mw 445nm burning lasers for really cheap on eBay but I thought you needed a much greater power output (like 500mw) to burn things, or am I wrong? And is 5mw different than 5MW? I wasn't sure if the units are different when the letters turn capital lol. Sorry for the questions right off the bat, they just came to me

Eracoy

5mW is generally considered the limit of eye-safe output. Cheap lasers are often well above the power they claim (though you shouldn't ever get laser light in your eye if you take the right precautions). To burn something you would indeed need a higher power. Another thing to take in to consideration for burning is if the laser diode you choose is "single mode" or not. This basically means is the output dot round or a rectangle shape, because you can focus a single mode laser to a tighter spot and get better burning characteristics per milliwatt. As for the capitalization, technically 5MW is 5 megawatts, or 5 000 000 000mW. I would not trust buying from a company which doesn't know the difference. Best case, they weren't aware or don't pay attention. Worst case, they are selling a completely trash laser with an outrageous claim because the people who would buy it are those who wouldn't be aware of the difference in the first place. If you search on this forum for most company names, you can probably get a good feel for if they are legitimate or not. Otherwise, there are lots of great materials here for constructing your own lasers where you know exactly what went in to them.

Last edited:

Encap

Sounds like you won't be leaving lasers anytime soon, this time around.

The LPF Search function at bottom of page can help you answer most question---is an extensive LPF data based of questions and comments over the years.
The Sticky threads of each sub-forum are a good source of quick information --- in the companies sub-forum see: https://laserpointerforums.com/f41/guide-company-should-i-buy-97936.html

Always be eye safe --wear laser goggles/glasses and use safe operating procedures.
You can study up on same here: Laser Pointer Safety - FAQ

PS mW = milliwatts

Last edited:
I'm definitely here to stay! Are you referring to the Google Custom Search bar at the bottom of the webpage?

Welcome to LPF

Enjoy and stay safe. :)

Also if anyone comes in with any laser related eye issues please refer them to this >>> READ ME

Last edited:

BobMc

Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to learn about the laser hobby. Enjoy and be safe. :wave:

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy it here as there is lots to learn. :wave:

Keaton

Welcome to LPF, be safe, and just in case, here are some trusted websites you can buy safety glasses/lasers and some tips
(Get yo safety glasses)Survivallaser.com
Laser shops:
Dragonlasers.com
Jetlasers.org
sanwulasers.org

Dont buy:
Wickedlasers.com(unless you really like the host and can justify overpaying for a laser, and also doesn't have US shipping)

Have fun and be safe man

Thanks for the advice! I just bought a laser tripod from Sanwu Lasers about a week ago but they notified me today that since the order was less than $40, they would not provide me with a tracking number. Should I be worried? I think it's a little weird that they wouldn't provide me with the tracking details for a $20 order, it's not like it would cause them any hardship.

Eracoy

Thanks for the advice! I just bought a laser tripod from Sanwu Lasers about a week ago but they notified me today that since the order was less than $40, they would not provide me with a tracking number. Should I be worried? I think it's a little weird that they wouldn't provide me with the tracking details for a $20 order, it's not like it would cause them any hardship.

I would not be worried, especially for a company with a solid reputation like them. Likely it comes from the fact that it is often more expensive to ship with a tracking number than without. It does feel annoying, yes, but I don't think it's anything shady.