Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to forum / BeamQ good ???

Hello Gentlemen,

First post....very nice forum !!!

I am in need of a 200mW green pointer for use in an industrial setting.

Because of where the unit will be used...a " torch-like " robust design is needed vs a pointer geometry. Also...the shorter the unit the better !!

I have searched the forum re: BeamQ....no real reviews.

BeamQ has the shortest, 200mW, IR filtered, 18650 powered I have located. They will guarntee 195mW min PO. I have a LPM....so can verify the PO.

I have looked at what Rayfoss and OLike offer....and the size and geometry of the BeamQ would better suit my needs.

Has ANYBODY purchased one of there units ??? and has the PO been LPM verified??....and how is the quality??

Thanx alot for your help.....and again...nice forum !!!

Bob

mat.jpg

Wish I could help.

apurva

Hey! Welcome to the great LPF!

I have looked for BeamQ reviews too but I guess they must be new and hence not a lot of talk about BeamQ here.

Which model of BeamQ are you looking at? Could you post the links?

I decided to go with http://www.beamq.com/200mw-green-beast-p-113.html. We will see. I will take a few pics....the size is almost the same as a pack of Mentos. I would hope the somewhat larger size provides fair heat dissipation....but the duty cycle will not be that demanding.

As far as PO....I will verify with a Coherent 404 and report back. The more good competition....the better for the consumer !!!...

Thanx for the " Welcome Mat "...
CDBEAM

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I also, have never seen any reviews of BeamQ
We can use all the input we can get.
Keep us informed.
:thanks:

Thanks for your reply !!! I wish I could do a Spectrographic analysis of the beam to verify the presents and quality of the IR filter...Just like Craig Johnson does at the LED Museum !!! I am very new here......but I seem to understand that several manufactures and or drop shippers that are....to say the least...not honest. This situation is possibly caused because the LPF are hobbyists...not University or industrial labs( Nothing wrong with that !!!!!!!).....and do not have the very, very expensive tools to " police " the suppliers. This makes the fine people on this forum vulnerable, at times, to those who would cheat them.

ANYWAY.......I speak from experience....as I am sure many can.....if it seems too good to be true....it likely is !!!!!!! But...there are good deals to be had !!!
Sometimes you win....sometimes NOT !!!!!

I will post the Power output numbers. THANX !!!

CDBEAM

apurva

This situation is possibly caused because the LPF are hobbyists...not University or industrial labs( Nothing wrong with that !!!!!!!).....and do not have the very, very expensive tools to " police " the suppliers. This makes the fine people on this forum vulnerable, at times, to those who would cheat them.
CDBEAM

Well I paid for a laser from Rayfoss (Awaiting shipment) and I felt that i did get a 'higher quality' of sales support response when I mentioned LPF. Also, they seem to be aware that the the forum is providing them with good business. So I guess some vendors are atleast recognizing that playing well / being honest with people from LPF will get them more business in the long run.

Atleast I hope so.

apurva

I too wanted a compact laser, and the reason I didnt go with the beast cuz i thought it would be huge (as its name suggested :p) and no one recommended BeamQ here. So I chose www.rayfoss.com Pretty much the same form factor with the advantage of making it shorter by using CR2 batteries. In the short form the length of the device goes down to about 110mm

@CDBEAM777 - What's the length and diameter of the green beast?

Apurva.....The Beast is still rather small...21mm dia. x 140mm in length...it seems to be the shortest while on a 18650 battery. I am concerned with using a RCR123A to power a 200mW unit. Such output most likely requires a 1W pump diode....and those tend to SUCK current. I believe as current or voltage drops....beam stabillity starts to fail as does mW output....at least that is what I think.....I am NO Laser Engineer.....just a hobbyist like most of you !!!...so a 18650 battery should yeild longer...and more stable performance. The one O-Like unit that can either use a 18650 or RCR123A is 116mm long using a
RCR123A and 148mm long using a 18650 battery....so....technology marches on !!!!!

For those of you interested in History !!! The first handheld Laser pointer I owned was called ..." The Spot "....I am fairly confident that most of you were very young when this was introduced in 1988.... It was roughly 25rmm in dia. by 180mm long. Output was an impressive 5mW @ 660nm. It was purchased from Meridith Instruments and cost $ 400.00. :crackup::crackup::crackup:
Early Adaptors pay a heavy price indeed :yabbem::yabbem::yabbem: Anyway...22 years later.....here we are....quibbling over 8mm difference in length....What wonders we will command 22 years from now ?????

As always...CDBEAM !!!!

Last edited: