Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to burning lasers

CamJron

Hey everyone, so I literally know next to nothing on this but want to pose a question. Is it possible for a burning laser from 40-60 feet away hitting a piece of stainless steel, cause it to heat up to the flash point of natural gas as it is running across it? I'm working on a work project and this is way out of left field so please be gentle in the comments.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
As your first post here you ask a question with potential national security implications. Really? Really!?

The people here are generally pretty helpful guiding newbs to the information they need but in this case I suspect you're not gonna get a lot of help unless you provide a lot of justification. i.e. the details of your 'work' project. Even then, those that would know the answers are probably not going to be too forthcoming on this particular subject.

CamJron

Looking for ways to light gas flares from a distance. As of now most ways done for it are to light a rag on fire and throw it up to light it or use a long stick to reach it. So just tossing around the idea. Figured if we had a way to heat up the stainless bell that we use to the temp of igniting the gas.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Might I recommend a spark plug system: a long steel wire with a ceramic sleeve for insulation hooked to an ignition coil. Trigger the spark with a remote control as needed or set up a system to fire things up when gas flow is detected.

Hey everyone, so I literally know next to nothing on this but want to pose a question. Is it possible for a burning laser from 40-60 feet away hitting a piece of stainless steel, cause it to heat up to the flash point of natural gas as it is running across it? I'm working on a work project and this is way out of left field so please be gentle in the comments.
💕💕no💕💕
I've a question for you. What caused to think it possible?

Last edited:
I think Northrop Grumman makes one for that. sorry, I just wanted to comment something stupid. LOL!!