Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New thought's on a old subject..and bored..

My rapid cooling/pre chilling station....don't laugh, it works :D

56352d1497322556-new-thought-s-old-subject-bored-sany0768.jpg

56353d1497322706-new-thought-s-old-subject-bored-sany0771.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0768.JPG
    SANY0768.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 46
  • SANY0771.JPG
    SANY0771.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

GSS

Lowering the amp's for a 100% cycle seams to be a bit of cheating, especialy if 1W of green is needed for what ever reason:undecided:
Knowing that it can run without damage might give some worry relief, but wouldn't like a few members mentioned the driver have to step down a substantial amount to achieve 100% to the point of maby 1/2 the advertised power?

BobMc

The '520 B1 I have in a pen host has gotten stuck 'ON' twice now when I throw my coat in my locker @ work. The second time was with freshly charged NiZn cells in it. The pointer body got hot enough to melt into the nylon pocket lining and make the wrapping on the batteries split but it still puts out just shy of a quarter watt. I now remove the pointer from the pocket and place it on top when I stash my jacket. Tough diode.

I have a 520 b1 also and they are pretty hearty diodes. Never accidentally left one on for that long but have run them pretty hot and they seem to have no problem with it. Love that diode though think it's a great diode.

I've have stuck my hand on my pocket and accidentally turned on a c6 build with a m140 in it I was carrying, she turned on, burned my leg and burned out the diode. Did the same to a Sanwu Guardian 1.8watt 445 once burnt my leg got so hot could barely touch it. Let it cool down and to my amazement she came back to life and I have been using her every day for months and no problem. Lesson learned, experience is sometimes the best teacher. :)

Last edited:

GSS

I have a 520 b1 also and they are pretty hearty diodes. Never accidentally left one on for that long but have run them pretty hot and they seem to have no problem with it. Love that diode though think it's a great diode.

I've have stuck my hand on my pocket and accidentally turned on a c6 build with a m140 in it I was carrying, she turned on, burned my leg and burned out the diode. Did the same to a Sanwu Guardian 1.8watt 445 once burnt my leg got so hot could barely touch it. Let it cool down and to my amazement she came back to life and I have been using her every day for months and no problem. Lesson learned, experience is sometimes the best teacher. :)
Yup, my PL520B1 is one of my most used and not to bad at 170mw+ with a 3 element.
Seeing that its a tough little diode that a few of you mentioned makes me feel better as it's run a bit hard at .430mah. Still never ran it even 60 seconds even in a 501b host and not willing to test it as its not that cheap.
BobM wondering just how much equipment you have to properly monitor that Sanwu?

Last edited:

BobMc

Yup, my PL520B1 is one of my most used and not to bad at 170mw+ with a 3 element.
Seeing that its a tough little diode that a few of you mentioned makes me feel better as it's run a bit hard at .430mah. Still never ran it even 60 seconds even in a 501b host and not willing to test it as its not that cheap.
BobM wondering just how much equipment you have to properly monitor that Sanwu?

Morning GSS, I have run my 501 b1 for well over a minute in a c6 host with a copper heat, no problem. It was built by Alien. ( I believe ) :thinking:

I have a ir thermometer and a 60 watt LPM with data logging. Was thinking to use both and do the test a wrote about. Am open to any/all hints or advice? :thinking:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I haven't personally built any, but many members here have made a point of putting high power diodes into small, even pen, hosts. These have far less than an unlimited duty cycle, but are they failures? It depends on your point of view.

I agree completely Paul, it depends on your point of view. I think most all of us here, if not all of us, have a laser, or many, that have limited duty cycles; many have very limited duty cycles. ;)
Almost everything we build, or buy here is pushing the limits of the intended output.This is pretty much what is intended from the start, we're always looking more output, just short of killing the poor thing.
Anyone stuffing a 2~3W 445nm in a chrome pen host knows the duty cycle is measured in seconds, but doesn't make it a failure IMO. :yh:
There are a few who have the sub 5mW pens, or the actively cooled lab lasers, that may be unlimited in duty cycle, but for the most part, I think most of our pens and handheld units are limited, and designed that way.

GSS

Morning GSS, I have run my 501 b1 for well over a minute in a c6 host with a copper heat, no problem. It was built by Alien. ( I believe ) :thinking:

I have a ir thermometer and a 60 watt LPM with data logging. Was thinking to use both and do the test a wrote about. Am open to any/all hints or advice? :thinking:
Wrong member to ask:eek:
but someone here has some thermal imaging camera's that posted a few video's not to long ago.

Last edited:

BobMc

Wrong member to ask:eek:
but someone here has some thermal imaging camera's that posted a few video's not to long ago..The name is on the tip of my tongue???

No problem, any input is increase, still working out the details. Will make a post if/when I do the test. Enjoy, :)

Last edited:

Hi BM,
Your lucky it didn't burn you third leg buddy OUCH!!

Rich:)

Benm

If you design them knowing you can only operate them in brief bursts i guess that's not a failure. I'm not really sure why you want to have a laser that can only do short bursts, but if you do, i guess it's your choice.

I see it as more of a failure for a commerical product, especially when it has a clicky on-off switch on it that could make you turn it on continously without any effort.

Another thing is what happens when you leave it on for too long: does it overheat and burn out, or does it have some system that at least turns it off before that happens?

On a commercial product i see it like a cordless drill that has to cool down for a minute after each hole drilled or screw installed: That may be how some people use it, but it's perfectly feasible someone will use it to drill dozens of holes one after the other, and should not expect doing so would cause the drill to burn out.

A presentation pointer could reasonably expected to be used with a limited duty cycle, but those should be <5 mW devices that have little heat problems. I doubt anyone buys a 1 watt laser to point at a whiteboard.

I believe few here are designing lasers for commercial use. You should go to Laser Focus World if you want to do that. Speaking of which, I just spent an hour watching a presentation by LFW on high power laser diodes. Very interesting.