Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NEW! The Blitz-Linear: Very Low Drop Out, 1A Adjustable Linear Driver

Not the chip you are thinking. This chip can go much, much lower than 4.5Vin ;)

These are now on sale at CajunLasers.com for $15. Further, there is an LPF-exclusive discount (10%), so you can get these as cheap as $13.50. Significantly cheaper than the Grooves for a better driver, yeah?

clif

Nice work on these Wolfman!
It's nice to have an entire side of a board dedicated for heat sinking purposes, and I assume if one wanted to they could easily thermal epoxy the board to any heat sink of their choice so long as it's electrically isolated from the build... or just stick one of those little RAM heat sinks on it like I have in the store.

Do you think they will need any additional heat sinking on the pad at 1 amp if running a 445nm at that setting?

Well, because these are linear drivers, they will drop a lot of power if there is a significant amount of excess voltage. That said, running at 1A, these definitely will need a heatsink unless they are run with an input voltage directly over what they are outputting.

With 8.4Vin and 4.5Vout at 1A, these will DEFINITELY need a beefy heatsink.

But also note that if you layer the thermal epoxy properly, you could probably glue it to your build as long as there is electrical isolation with the thermal epoxy.

I was mentioned above about the single mode 638 taking 350ma, and I know each amc does 350ma so could one pontially remove an Amc or two and get 350ma?
I don't know the pin out off the top of my head but would this give you the right current?

Can I run the LPC-826 diode with this driver and a 9V battery for this driver, btw I'm still new at making lasers I've only made 3 lasers and 2 out of 3 worked. I just don't want to waste a perfectly good diode. :)

Probably not and no for two reasons. The first is that a 9V battery will not be able to supply the necessary current to the diode regardless of the driver. The second reason (probably not) is because it will require isolating the LPC from the host (because the LPC is case negative and the driver is case positive).

clif

A simple DIY linear can run the LPC diode - like a groove 2 or Mohgasm board.

Hi,

Long time reader, first time posting. This is quite an amazing looking driver, just bought one 2 days ago!

I see everyone here uses the same sort of Li-Ion cells for their lasers. I dont have any of these but I have HEAPS of Li-Po cells lying around. The lipo cells charge to 4.2v at full power(as im sure most of you know). This should be perfect with this driver and a 300mw red, right?

Thanks
Matt

clif

I have lipo packs with my RC cars they can handle WAY more current than li-ions - just use the appropriate safety measures with the lipo cells or they'll catch fire. Never over charge them, never let them get too low on voltage especially during a high current use.

Hi,

Long time reader, first time posting. This is quite an amazing looking driver, just bought one 2 days ago!

I see everyone here uses the same sort of Li-Ion cells for their lasers. I dont have any of these but I have HEAPS of Li-Po cells lying around. The lipo cells charge to 4.2v at full power(as im sure most of you know). This should be perfect with this driver and a 300mw red, right?

Thanks
Matt

Thats great thanks!

Yea lipos can be quite delicate, ive been using them for the last 8 years in my rc planes and helis. They are amazing little things.

I recently killed 2 803T's that were running on LM317t drivers.... Just dont want to kill any more!

So these are capable of powering the 635nm mits diodes because they are case isolated, but will they work on a single cell like the 650/660nm LPCs will? From what I've read here even if you're using an ultrafire Li-Ion that maxes out at 4.1V if I run it at 1A the voltage drop will still run it at up to 3.4V, meaning that the 300mW diodes will still run? I pretty sure everything I've stated above is valid, but being a beginner makes you think twice when theres such an amazing community around willing to offer up the information :D.

As long as your diode is isolated from the host or is case positive, this driver will run it as long as you get at least .3-.4V overhead ^_^