Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New PRoject

I am new to all of this, but have been tasked with a project.

I need a laser and lens that I can cast a line on the ground. It will be used as a warning, but I need to be adjustable. I know I can get an adjustable mount, to adjust the angle and direction, but I also need to be able to control the length of the line that is cast on the ground. The line needs to span roughly 70 ft long. These lasers will also need to be wired into a forklift battery, so they can't be battery operated. Basically I need a mountable laser that will project a straight 70 or so foot line on the ground, almost as a "lane of travel" for a forklift. Is there a product capable of this?

a straight 70 or so foot line on the ground, almost as a "lane of travel" for a forklift. Is there a product capable of this?

reflective/bright tape. The product you're looking for is bright tape.

Last edited:
No, the tape will not work. I need this to function as a moving pathway. As the vehicle moves down the aisle, it works as a warning to pedestrians in blind spots, that there is equipment in the aisle. The concept of the laser will span the length of the vehicle and then some, indicating it is unsafe to enter the aisle. If the laser line is not present on the floor, there is no vehicle passing. The lasers would be mounted to the vehicles and act as a moving perimeter. Similar to the illuminated bike path Xfire system projects a bike lane onto the road. The path travels with the equipment.

The pedestrians are in the vehicles blind spots. So the driver will not see the pedestrian and the pedestrian may not see the driver. There have been several accidents all over the country due to this. All I need is a laser similar to the one here
Xfire system projects a bike lane onto the road

If you go to the site, you will see it casts a "lane" to surrounding people. The lane they are casting is too small for my application. I need the lanes to be 70ft long.

Some of the applications will be with a PIV with multiple carts behind it. The carts can't all have beepers. Therefore a visual display of the travel lane is needed.

Is there a setup that can perform what I am looking for? It will look like this, but with longer lines.

xfire.jpg

75 ft ~ 20 m.
That is a long line.

Normally a cylindrical lens is used to make a laser line.

How dark is your environment? :can: You don't want to burn your workers with very powerful lasers as otherwise lines could be not seen on dark floors and bright rooms.
How high could lasers be installed? If you go lower then lenses must be placed precisely to get a uniform lines - the power levels at close and far range similar.

You can install several lasers to create a long line.

These are just ideas without any attach liabilities that could save lives.

Last edited:
The carts can't all have beepers.

Why not?

a visual display of the travel lane is needed.

Install a domed mirror above the intersections.

A high powered laser is NOT an appropriate visual safety warning.

That bike lane idea is nonsense. It is expensive, complicated, potentially dangerous, and dim. It has been discussed on the forums several times already.

The only thing common between the 23 "trains" being used is the engine. Each cart is constantly changed and sent to outside suppliers. The expense to put "bells" on each cart would be crazy. Fixed lasers, pointing towards the ground representing a visual warning is what is needed. The devise needs to be placed on the engine of each train. They will be mounted, adjusted and then left alone. They will be roughly 3 -4 feet from the ground and pointing towards the ground. The area is fairly well lit, but I feel a low power laser should be sufficient.

Mirrors already cover all intersections. Looking for low power laser, if it will be bright enough.

I think you are getting sound advice on this- Lasers have restrictions that do not apply to LEDS - maybe that would be a better option-

BTW you really need to go back and combine those posts- doubles are not liked here and forget about triple posting.. no do... no do-- PM sent show how to fix.

I like your idea of trying to make people safer- but lasers IMHO are not the way--

Not every new idea involving lasers is a bad one-- some are downright terrible- but yours is not one of those-- I see lately lots of bikers with bright red and white strobes easy to see --

good luck

hak