Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New project inquiry

rog- as always, giving great and accurate advice.
cyberhedz- ignore me and just listen to rog!!!!!

no, i'm a retard, i need to use a relay on the power switch, connect the red LED to the NO position and the green/V+ to the NC position, and of course the keyed switch is the common

....That would do one laser, or do you want them all on at the same time all of the time? ....Or do you have 3 key switches and 3 relays?
More info please:)

Regards rog8811

my skills with visio are lacking, so I will try my best with paint as soon as I get home. each laser will be on its own push switch but with a 2 step power switcy, once i draw it up, we'll all be on teh same page, I'm also starting to consider running 4 of the 3.6V batteries and just putting a 12V regulator in their for the drivers, could benefit battery life with that.

@schtickjunkie. have you even read the whole thread. most people when attacked say they don't need to defend themselves. Well I'm not one of those people. Just because you put a :whistle: doesn't make the comment any less rude! Ideas count just as much as help!!!! get a life jerk.

I'm also starting to consider running 4 of the 3.6V batteries and just putting a 12V regulator in their for the drivers, could benefit battery life with that.

The green lasers usually come with a driver fitted, the highest voltage you can use is 3.6v, anything higher and they overheat and die.
Could I suggest 2 Rckstr drives on a common supply (red and Blu-ray) then use another 3.6v supply for the green.

This could be done with batteries but if you want to run for 15minutes you would need quite a bit of capacity with fans and relays in the mix as well. Do I take it you want it portable, ie not mains/transformer supplied?

Regards rog8811

shit, i forgot about that, thanks for reminding me, would have been a big wast of 200 bucks when i blew it out. As promised here is the schematic.

Last edited:
I have just got in from work, I am looking....:)

EDIT.... I have now looked.
You know you will get a voltage drop across the green LED if used as shown? Also ou have not shown a limiting resistor for either of them which will be needed. I would suggest that you take them out of the supply lines to the red and BR drivers as, thinking about it further you are trying to draw high current through the green one. Other than that your circuit looks to be OK.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• LED monitored drive01.jpg
    LED monitored drive01.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
yea, i thought about that today, putting the LED in parallel instead of series, good catch though, also found that the 4V regulator I was going to use for the knockdown on the green module won't work its limited to 100mA output, and the module is <400, grrr, back to searching on digikey for a regulator, on that note, am i correct that it should be ok to run at 4.0V? the module states its power input ranges from 3.0-4.2

Updated schematic, fixed LED and finally found a regulator for the green module. the LED at 12V rated so I dont need any extra resistors ;D

laser.bmp

the LED at 12V rated so I dont need any extra resistors
Are you sure about that? Are they, for instance, designed for in car use and have a built in limiting resistor?
I have never used an LED without a resistor as, like laser diodes they are current hungry. I have to say I am no expert on LED's so I am quite prepared to be proven wrong ;)

Regards rog8811

yea, they're the 12V rated ones from radiocrap that are panel ready, for car or any other 12V use, I had them laying around so why not use them ;)

well, i was double checking my parts today, going over vendor datasheets, and found i was way off on the regulator capacitors, the 3.6V needs 10uF not 1000uF, I've never worked regulators on this level before so can someone help me with making sure that the 1000uF are appropriate for the 7805 and 7812 regulators