Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Pocket Portable High Res. Spectrometer the size of a deck of cards

Encap

Interesting new generation of mini-spectrometers--only as big as a deck of cards--ultimately portable --carry in pocket no problem. ---ideal for handheld applications.

Very small spectrometer with a resolution of up to 0.1 nm.
Is only the size of a deck of cards, yet delivers a dynamic range of 2000:1,
Stray-light levels lower than 0.17% and weighs only 174 grams. USB 2 powered, Hamamatsu CMOS 4096 pixels technology and 5 micron slit.

Size: 95mm x 68mm x 20 mm, weight 174 grams

See preliminary data sheet here: https://www.avantes.com/images/Datasheet_AvaSpec_Mini_4096_-_CL_preliminary_LASER_v2.pdf

:can:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Very interesting, 0.1 nm sounds nice. Do you have any idea on what the cost will be on one of these?
Thanks for sharing, definitely worth keeping an eye on! :yh:

I've seen many new smaller spectrometers offered by many manufacturers in the past 12 months. Unfortunately, you still need a laptop or similar with software loaded to use them. If they had a self-contained spectrometer that size that could do it all, that would really be something.

Knowing how critical the optical alignment is, I would never carry such a thing in my pocket.

diachi

I've seen many new smaller spectrometers offered by many manufacturers in the past 12 months. Unfortunately, you still need a laptop or similar with software loaded to use them. If they had a self-contained spectrometer that size that could do it all, that would really be something.

Strap a Raspberry Pi and an OLED screen to it, problem solved. :p

Encap

Knowing how critical the optical alignment is, I would never carry such a thing in my pocket.

Excellent point--Will ask if it comes with H2O proof hard case----will ask them if the unit including alignment has been ruggedised for use in the field without special handling concerns/worries--if yes, will ask for also test results showing to what extent this is so---ruggedness for what operational environments and so on.

They do offer interesting options:
Slit size, please specify XX = 5,10, 25, 50, 100, 200 or 500 μm-FCPC

FC/PC fiber-optic entranceDCL-UV/VIS-200

Quartz Detector Collection Lens for 3-4x signal enhancement (typical)

Order sorting coating for grating MN 600-0.50, recommended with OSF-305
Order sorting coating for grating MN 300-0.30
Order sorting coating for grating MN 300-0.50, recommended with OSF-305
OSF-YYY

Order-sorting filter for reduction of 2nd order effects, please specify YYY= 550 or 600 nm, depends on range

All comes down to "How much?" and they don't say---might be cost effective for some applications if price is within reasonable for the capabilities gained.

Will email or call them tomorrow and ask for a price sheet and what is delivery time frame ARO (after receipt of order) FOB factory ---just to see what's what.

Last edited:
Interesting new generation of mini-spectrometers--only as big as a deck of cards--ultimately portable --carry in pocket no problem. ---ideal for handheld applications.

Very small spectrometer with a resolution of up to 0.1 nm.
Is only the size of a deck of cards, yet delivers a dynamic range of 2000:1,
Stray-light levels lower than 0.17% and weighs only 174 grams. USB 2 powered, Hamamatsu CMOS 4096 pixels technology and 5 micron slit.

Size: 95mm x 68mm x 20 mm, weight 174 grams

See preliminary data sheet here: https://www.avantes.com/images/Datasheet_AvaSpec_Mini_4096_-_CL_preliminary_LASER_v2.pdf

:can:

Be prepared for a sticker shock. As soon as they put 5Mhz 16bit ADC, and 2049pixel CMOS sensor and 5uM grating I instantly figured +$2000.
ADC's at that frequency and bit depth are at least $200 a pop.

Last edited:
Oh, I think it is much more than $2000.00. Maybe in a few years used, but new? Probably closer to $5000.00.