Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"new pics" 6/11/16

These pics were taken the first week in May. Most of them are of two 405nm 500mw lasers going thru two fan diffraction gratings into the two glass spheres. When 405 beams go thru glass they turn green and when the beams leave the glass they revert back to violet. Also the glass spheres focus the many beams thru one sphere and continue the pattern into the next sphere. That is the basis for most of these shots. I eventually added a 473nm and 589nm to illuminate the spheres while the 405nms beams were also present. I used a Slinky in a few pics after that too. The last pics are when I tried to have the beams behind the glass spheres to create patterns in the glass from vertical and horizontal beams. These were my first attempt to try this with three spheres and over the past 6 weeks or so have really explored the relationship between laser beams of various colors and multiple glass spheres positioned in various ways, as I now have a 200mm, 150mm, 100mm, 85mm, 50mm, and 25mm clear glass spheres . By positioning the lasers horizontally and vertically behind, in between the sphere created unpredictable (at first) patterns and incredible shapes in the spheres. In the following weeks I did al sorts of experimenting getting great results. The two pics in the "Post Your Rainbow" were taken about a month after these and one can see how much I did progress. I will eventually post some from my sessions taken after these as the set ups and pics became more elaborate.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Nice! Loving that 473 picture along with the yellow shinning through those glass spheres! :D

-Alex

Just awesome!
Is the 405nm the only wavelength that changes color when it passed through glass?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Bruce, I see you're at it again, coaxing those crystal balls give up their secrets of the "magic light"!
Beautiful as always; my favorites this time are #15, #21, and #23(last one). I see a pattern here, all are photos of a line of crystal balls of differing sizes.

:gj: and :kewlpics: as always!

So, I'm guessing that the glass spheres are doped with a fluorescent compound which is why the 405nm lasers look green. Very interesting photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Last edited: