Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Optotronics 150 pen laser

...and it doesnt work. Like right out of the box. Doesnt work.

I ordered the Optotronics +150 Premium on Friday 02/24/2012 and it arrived today on 02/29/2012. It came in a small, sturdy USPS cardboard delivery box with newspaper wadded inside.

I opened the gray case it came in and had no batteries but the laser itself and a small instruction sheet that had the words "verified 174mw 02/27/2012" written at the top. Also, a drawing of a battery at the bottom to show which way the batteries go in.

As soon as I pulled it out I noticed the button on the laser was very loose and rattled when moved about. Didnt seem like the kinda quality i have read about Optotronics in the past couple of months. I put in the batteries according to the drawing at the botom of the instruction sheet shows. Nothing. Brand new batteries, new batteries different manufacture, same thing.

Its just not working . So what should I do now? Who do I contact? Thought if anyone new it would be you guys! Thanks for any help!!

The website has a "Contact Us" part of its menu on the left side of the website. If that's too "impersonal" or something, they have a number in the top right of the website you can call.

You can start by asking Optotronics about it.

Last edited:
My Opto 5 came with a dirty lens, i tried to clean it but it's just gotten worse every time i try, one week after purchasing it, it's in the unused laser box where they go to die...

I know it's only the 5mW... but why would you not just get in touch with Jack first?

Chances are for the price of shipping he would have cleaned it for you, or told you how he wants you to attempt cleaning.

My Opto 5 came with a dirty lens, i tried to clean it but it's just gotten worse every time i try, one week after purchasing it, it's in the unused laser box where they go to die...

Hi Woodofcville,
I just looked through my records and it looks like you bought a 5mw on 12/24/2011.
After ordering, you contacted us that the shipping address was wrong and a correction needed to be made, we replied quickly and took care of it and shipped it to where you wanted the package to go.

I don't have any record of an email being sent to us regarding a dirty lens, we can't help or correct an issue we are never informed of.

If you had contacted us, I would have offered to clean it free of charge if you pay the shipping cost (since it was fairly new) as this does happen. It's often caused by moisture forming on the lens surface when used outside in the cold air and then brought indoors where the temperature and humidity is higher. Much like moisture that forms on the outside of a glass of ice water.
I also provide them a link to a post here on the LPF I made a couple years back as to the best way to clean them.

I'm still willing to try to clean it if you are willing to pay the shipping, but I can't promise success as the lens is easily scratched or damaged if not treated very gently. Contact us through our contact form to arrange this if you like.

Phazechange: I've left a message on your voicemail as well as your email to take care of any issue you have as quickly as possible.
One thing to try if you haven't already is a new pair of AAA cells. The reason I say this is that I've had bad/dead cells come right out of a brand new box of both duracell and energizers and I myself thought I had a dead pointer, only to check the voltage on both of them and find one had 1.59V (new) and the other had zero.

As for the power button, the actual switch is firmly mounted to the circuit board, what you are describing is the switch button cap which free floats in place and is completely normal, it's just the switch cap to protect the actual switch and increase it's life.

Please email me or call and we'll get everything worked out if it's not just a battery issue. ps, I did test yours right before shipping as I always doe and it's output was 174mw and at times a fair amount more than this.

ps, I just saw that you tried 2 different sets of cells from different mfg. so I guess you have tried what I suggested.
I got your email at 2:43 pnm this afternoon and replied back in less than 30 minutes by both email and phone.
Thanks
Jack

Last edited:
Haha... i find this funny because just a few days ago i ordered this exact same laser and its expected to arrive tomorrow morning. I hope this is not the case with me. i guess i'll find out. wish me luck?

Hi Woodofcville,
I just looked through my records and it looks like you bought a 5mw on 12/24/2011.
After ordering, you contacted us that the shipping address was wrong and a correction needed to be made, we replied quickly and took care of it and shipped it to where you wanted the package to go.

I don't have any record of an email being sent to us regarding a dirty lens, we can't help or correct an issue we are never informed of.

If you had contacted us, I would have offered to clean it free of charge if you pay the shipping cost (since it was fairly new) as this does happen. It's often caused by moisture forming on the lens surface when used outside in the cold air and then brought indoors where the temperature and humidity is higher. Much like moisture that forms on the outside of a glass of ice water.
I also provide them a link to a post here on the LPF I made a couple years back as to the best way to clean them.

I'm still willing to try to clean it if you are willing to pay the shipping, but I can't promise success as the lens is easily scratched or damaged if not treated very gently. Contact us through our contact form to arrange this if you like.

Phazechange: I've left a message on your voicemail as well as your email to take care of any issue you have as quickly as possible.
One thing to try if you haven't already is a new pair of AAA cells. The reason I say this is that I've had bad/dead cells come right out of a brand new box of both duracell and energizers and I myself thought I had a dead pointer, only to check the voltage on both of them and find one had 1.59V (new) and the other had zero.

As for the power button, the actual switch is firmly mounted to the circuit board, what you are describing is the switch button cap which free floats in place and is completely normal, it's just the switch cap to protect the actual switch and increase it's life.

Please email me or call and we'll get everything worked out if it's not just a battery issue. ps, I did test yours right before shipping as I always doe and it's output was 174mw and at times a fair amount more than this.

ps, I just saw that you tried 2 different sets of cells from different mfg. so I guess you have tried what I suggested.
I got your email at 2:43 pnm this afternoon and replied back in less than 30 minutes by both email and phone.
Thanks
Jack

I just got my 150mw green pen from you today accept its at my dad's house (im 15) and havnt been able to test it... but i trust you from your good name. tell me if you remember my order?

I trust Jack and I hope you do the same.
I'm from Italy.
I've bought many laser pointers from him and I'm planning to buy more.
Optotronics is a good company and the service is ok.
If you have any problem, just contact Jack and I'm sure he can honestly solve it.

Just to update, I talked with him over the phone the same day as the original post and he opted to cross ship a new replacement, to do so he ordered another which was sent the next morning and I will credit his account back as soon as the other one arrives back to us and is checked out to make sure it wasn't dropped or subjected to excessive voltage or disassembled.
It's been a couple weeks and I still haven't gotten it back yet, but I called him the other day as a reminder to send it back and he said he would send it back the next day.