Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New novelty idea: Laser earrings!

OK, this is kinda silly, but...

There's this gas station and convenience store sort of across the street from where I live, and I noticed that they were selling some very small (maybe a couple of inches long) cheapie pointers on key chains.

These things usually don't work very well or for very long, but I had the idea of maybe buying a matching pair and turning them into earrings! Yes they are small enough to do that.

What think ye of the idea? Crazy? Cool? :crackup:

Just one more way to display my various hobbies via my wardrobe, lol!

I suppose if they were truly 5mW or less and were dangling downwards with the aperture pointing towards the ground. If you bought some plastic diffraction gratings and cut them out of the slide like frame and then glued them over the aperture it probably would reduce the power and split the beam into many far safer and less powerful individual beams.

Might look kind of cool dancing around on the dance floor, but you'd have to be careful still what might reflect from below you like if you glanced at your watch or something or had a reflective necklace on.

Guess it would depend on how powerful the individual beamlets were whether it would be safe or not. :beer:

Edit: Just remembered this thread on some laser gloves... I think there was another longer thread on them but can't find it at the moment...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/new-improved-laser-glove-video-73615.html

Last edited:
Well the main concern would that they can be eye hazards. What batteries are you going to use though? It may be a bit heavy? lol ;p

Things

5mW hanging off your ear isn't an eye hazard. And although I strongly advise against it, even 5mW into your eye is not going to do much. If they truly are <5mW then you'll be perfectly fine.

Could look pretty cool in a club with a bit of fog though :)

Lol, I didn't mean that they would be turned on while being worn! I don't even know how I could do that if I wanted to.

The batteries might even have to be removed if they were too heavy.

I say... Go for it....
There is nothing wrong with taking an idea to fruition..

You'll find along the way if it is a good idea or not.
Just make sure that the Laser beams are <5mW...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Yes, it's low power. I think it'll be a few years before I can have burning lasers hanging off my ears, lol!

I think its a good idea, would be unique, or at least I have never heard of anyone doing it. I would not be worried about someones eyes with a little red keychain pointer, I know 5mw is limit but IMO at 25mw you could point it in your eye for 2 min, and have a .00001 chance of permanent damage, with it diffused into a pattern there is just no way someones eye will get hurt.

I do not think the weight of a single cell coin battery is going be an issue at all.

I know I would have never thought of it :p

Here's an update: I actually wore them at work today (I work in a store) and got a few compliments on my "unique" earrings- but the only person who even knew what they were was a little boy who kept saying to his mom, "Look, she has lights on her ears!" His mother kept staring at them and said, "Those aren't lights, they're just earrings."

Lol! I didn't say anything. Just laughed on the inside!

Last edited:
I would love to see a picture of the laser earrings, maybe you could try or have some one else replace the laser diode module with some Red Flashing LED's.