Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New member looking for laser 101 class

Hello everyone. I have been mesmerized by lasers since I was a kid and now that I'm older I would like to fully understand how a laser works and all the safety procedures needed to operate lasers safely. I'm not quite informed enough when it comes to the type of glasses needed for the different wavelength lasers or the difference between the lasers themselves. I am going to jump in and attempt building a blue kit laser from a LPF member. If there is any recommended (idiots guide to lasers) sights/books/reads you could guide me to I would be greatly thankful. Just by reading through this forum I feel too uneducated to participate and want to change that.

Pre thanks

Al.

1. Get rated safety glasses!
2. Never let others use your laser!
3. Always dissemble or lock your laser after use!
4. Never point at mirrors, road signs, humans, animals, windows, cars or airplanes!
5. At high powers and close range, looking at the dot alone can destroy your vision! Wear glasses!
6. Make sure you know what you're doing!

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

I have a slew of links, let me go find them...

Edit: read below:

445nm OD4+ goggles for all within 100 feet of laser is a must if you want to use it around other people. Shiny surfaces reflect enough light to give you temporary flash blindness, and even permanent damage.

If it directly hits ANYONE'S eyes, even for a fraction of a second, 99.99% of the times whoever just got it shone in their eyes ends up partially or fully blind. Effects can even take up to 24 hours to take effect.

In addition, blue light is dangerous to the eye in general due to that it messes with your color vision...

Read the following sites for more info on laser safety and blue light.

Blue Light Hazard
High-energy visible light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Safety Information - Safe Lasers - Laser safety information, tools, and free warning labels.
Laser safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Laser Pointer Safety - Independent resource on handheld portable lasers

Last edited:
if u want allot of reading but loads of info sams laser faq is the way to go

i started diode lasers first but next i think ill go to argon ......cause i want one:crackup::evil: