Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New member, Long time lurker from LA California

LaserRanger

Hello LPF. I Finally decided on creating a profile to be part of the community to this awesome hobby. I've been lurking, reading, learning, watching, ever since I stumbled on the site back in 2013, I've read lots of posts, stickies, rules, so I don't really have any questions Just wanted to say hi to everyone and give a proper introduction of myself. I've put together a few lasers thanks to the info in this forum. It goes to show how much info is found if one does their research, since I didn't have the necessity to create a profile to ask questions that have been previously answered. Thank you for all the hard work done as it helped me get into the hobby safely.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, LaserRanger, glad to have you aboard! :)

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy your stay.

Welcome to the LPF. It is quite rare that someone comes here and reads all the stickies then uses their first post to introduce themselves. Glad to have you among us. ;)

LaserRanger

@Immo1282 thanks, Im already enjoying the official stay. I've followed enough threads and read posts from people who were here demanding to be spoon-fed info and not attempt to search at all, and acting up if they did not get what they wanted ultimately getting banned.

@BowtieGuy thanks for the warm welcome, I'm excited to finally be part of conversations with members that I've only read from all this time, and the first thing I learned is safety is number one.

@paul1598419 thanks for the welcoming and likewise I'm glad I decided to participate in conversations. I have seen my fair share of new member acting up so I thought I will do my best to not be one of them. I thought it would be better for the forum by lurking and not being one of those newbies getting banned within the first weeks for one reason or another. One thing that I've seen suggested more than anything was to do a proper introduction, to establish relationships and get to know people that will gladly help other like bowtieguy and yourself. I believe I've seen both contribute in pretty much every thread I've read so hats off to you guys!

Reactions: GSS
Thank you. Jeff and I do what we can to help out whenever possible. I'm sure you and I will converse at another point in time. Again, it is good to have you here among us now.

LaserRanger

@lasersbee Thank you and I sure will. I'll admit I was only interested in blue lasers so I only have a pair of glasses for the blue end of the spectrum but I'll add more safety gear as I build my collection

welcome- Ignore my suggestion made in error @ your page (DUH!)

.. Your intro was great.. always good to see new members like yourself joining us..
I think we could use your help.. Lots of great and exciting projects are on-going here and more getting involved in any degree is a win win. Those, so far, that greeted you are ALL top shelf members.

As far as your location... lots of LPF members there.. almost every year there are 'meets' on west coast- and Portland Or. and Washington State.

some quite large, extremely well planned and some pop up w/o warning.. never miss a chance to attend ANY LEM. Pop-up one nighters or the 'Laserpallooza' of USA LEMs--SELEM. (in N.C. but still worth the 18hrs we (in Texas)drive to get there!!)

VR Len

LaserRanger

Thank you VR Len, I was confused at the message you posted but after reading this, it makes sense lol it happens and thanks for the tip. I'll bee looking forward to the gatherings and hopefully I'll be able to go and meet you guys out there. I've recognized lots of members since I've been reading only for the past couple of years. I even know your name along with a couple of others... I feel like a little kid meeting his heros for some reason 😂

I finished building a 487nm laser for my daughter today. It is going to be a Christmas present as she loved the color of my 488nm one. I haven't measured the wavelength again yet, but it measured 486.5nm, IIRC, and it is driven at 275 mA. I put one of DTR's two element 520nm AR coated lenses on it and there are no artifacts on the beam's profile. It will likely measure ~130 mW and it has the most beautiful light blue beam with no green that I can see in it. ;)

The VR is 'olde school' short for 'very respectful'
I thought it fitting in this situation.. you have a lot of class... I think we should go ahead and give him a key to the VIP toilet and the secret handshake too.
We don't always know the best place to buy everything but we SURE know where NOT to shop..
Dealing with other members is generally a good idea ( assuming they are not brand new here) Any shady characters are shown the way out fairly fast. We try hard to have each others backs. Feel free to ask about companies.... Lots of gear can be gotten here at LPF.
Like 'Laserbee' Jerry-- he has been here forever and makes/sells great LPMs.
AND there are many here who like the portable Sanwu and JETLASERS.. products.
PM us if you have a question that would be better answered off forum.
Lifetime 'Rich' can make you a custom host and unique laser .. and others like Jayrob..are also masters of the lathe and mill .

best wishes--hak

LaserRanger

I finished building a 487nm laser for my daughter today. It is going to be a Christmas present as she loved the color of my 488nm one. I haven't measured the wavelength again yet, but it measured 486.5nm, IIRC, and it is driven at 275 mA. I put one of DTR's two element 520nm AR coated lenses on it and there are no artifacts on the beam's profile. It will likely measure ~130 mW and it has the most beautiful light blue beam with no green that I can see in it. ;)

Im beginning to appreciate other colors of the spectrum and this one you're talking about in particular peaks my interest. There was a "488nm lab style laser" up for sale on ebay that I managed to snag for 30.99 from techood. It's supposed to be 60mw but I don't have an Lpm although the beam is pretty visible. Being the first laser near this wavelength that I owe, I'm not too sure if it's an accurate nm rating but it sure is beautiful and at 30.99 I felt like it was a deal and I'm really liking the color

LaserRanger

The VR is 'olde school' short for 'very respectful'
I thought it fitting in this situation.. you have a lot of class... I think we should go ahead and give him a key to the VIP toilet and the secret handshake too.
We don't always know the best place to buy everything but we SURE know where NOT to shop..
Dealing with other members is generally a good idea ( assuming they are not brand new here) Any shady characters are shown the way out fairly fast. We try hard to have each others backs. Feel free to ask about companies.... Lots of gear can be gotten here at LPF.
Like 'Laserbee' Jerry-- he has been here forever and makes/sells great LPMs.
AND there are many here who like the portable Sanwu and JETLASERS.. products.
PM us if you have a question that would be better answered off forum.
Lifetime 'Rich' can make you a custom host and unique laser .. and others like Jayrob..are also masters of the lathe and mill .

best wishes--hak

Just goes to show that I still have a long journey ahead of me but I'll learn the ways soon and thank you for the compliment, English is not my native language but it sure is the best one I can speak with. VIP toilet? I hit the jackpot here 😂 and I'm all in for secret handshakes, if it really is thing during meet ups the even better!
I have been lurking in the shadows for a while, although it's been on and off, I have seen many come and go, some contributing with helpful information then gone with the wind and others stirring up all kinds of trouble from the start earning themselves a ban.
Now that you mention dealing with forum members, that was my main reason for making a profile, making friends here to be able to purchase gear from you guys that work hard to make top quality products for our hobby. It was Rich's hosts that made me bite the bullet, hopefully I'll be able to buy a host from him soon. Also, good drivers so I can stop using the cheap ebay drivers.... And diodes

Thank you for your post, I found it very helpful and I will take you up on the offer whenever I have questions.

A few years ago I saw jayrobs keychain builds, love how small but powerful they were