Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Member, Hi from Australia!

Hi all, a quick intro! I developed an interest in lasers over the past few months. Sadly, I found that Australia has some of the strictest laser laws in the world. These laws might make it difficult getting parts for projects - time will tell. So far, I've pulled down two old DVD burners and one brand new LG 22x, removed the sleds and extracted the diodes. Safety glasses needed before I go any further!

Have a strong background in electronics and communications, but no laser experience. I'm an unrestricted private pilot (but haven't flown for several years due to health issues). For a time was involved in pro event video and was a partner in a modelling agency.

I hope to help others on the forum eventually. Need to learn a lot before that can happen. I'm always busy on something or other, so I hope making room for laser projects won't be too problematic. :D Finally, my compliments to all members of the forum - what I've read so far has been valuable and most helpful.

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and this....

33 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Yay another Aussie!!

Where you from? Sydney here!

I'm sure you'll find everything you need here. Have fun, play safe and learn!

-Adrian

Last edited:

AUSBEN

Welcome to the forums!!!

If your looking to get your hands on a good laser contact bobhaha.

Highly reccomend this guy.

Where you from? Sydney here!

Hey Adrian, I lived in Sydney once - but since then, cars on Sydney roads have begun breeding like mad. It seems that they conspire to gridlock travellers, whenever Hornsby is approached from the north :p Question: how many megawatts of coherent light would be needed to evaporate them? :D

I'm in the lower Hunter Valley, circa 25 clicks to the north west of Newcastle. Sadly, gridlock is not unknown up this way, either.

Welcome to the forums!!!

If your looking to get your hands on a good laser contact bobhaha. Highly reccomend this guy.

Thanks Ausben! I'm impressed by the variety of lasers that bobhaha has put together. It's good to see personal recommendations such as yours, it makes life much easier. Also is great to see a second Aussie's response i.e. yours (now I wish I'd thought of something like "Wallaby Walloper" for a user name) :)

I thought that Cheetahs came from Africa.

Hi there. Welcome to LPF.
As was said before, play safe, have fun, and read read read.
From what I've seen here Australian rules are restricted to hand-held completed units. You might find that importing parts/pieces are not as restricted. Then, like Ikea furniture, some assembly would be required. Don't know about the laws/regulations about possesing said units though. Usually only gets to be a problem if you are doing something stupid though.
Good luck with it.
While you are researching things I might suggest more lottery tickets to win the future funds you will want for new purchases.
:p

Do you guys have any problem importing laser pointers in AU ?

Just curious.

Do you guys have any problem importing laser pointers in AU ?

Just curious.

Hey Brenner, compliments of the season to you :) The short answer to your question is - absolutely!

I delayed this post, because I was really hoping a longstanding forum member would respond (because I'm unsure if this reply is a little too far OT - if so, my sincere apologies to forum members - moderators please remove or relocate my post). On the other hand, there's no doubt that my post lets other forum members know a great deal about my own outlook and attitudes, and therefore serves to assist in my "introductory self description" - the prime thread topic!

Australian Federal law prohibits any laser pointer over 1 mW from being imported by private citizens.

Sadly, our Government often reacts to wrongdoing in a "knee jerk" reaction - using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut! The following link highlights the herd instinct of our lawmakers ... and there are many other examples of this collective parliamentary stupidity.

The following link is a classic demonstration of the misuse of Federal power in our country.

Laws on laser pointers in Australia explained - Page 3

Welcome to LPF! A lot of great information here. Enjoy and be safe. :)

Well not really if you know what your doing. I have got many full lasers through and have only lost one laser to customs.

Not saying it wouldn't happen to you... But that was my experience so far.

-Adrian

Welcome aboard! Don't forget to get some Laser Safety Glasses, and the search function here can be your best friend.