Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Laser Build

Hi Everyone! I am a new member, but a "lurker" here for some time now. Please allow me to give you some personal background. I am a dentist with 36 years in practice, and have been using and teaching dentists how to use dental lasers (Argon, Nd:YAG, CO2, Er:YAG), since 1992.

I am interested in building a hand held laser in the ~800nm range that has a variable output up to about 3W. My problem is that I would like to have the beam focused on a flexible (or semi-flexible) glass fiber for soft tissue surgery.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of laser, and possible plans and sources for building for one?

Thanks for your help!

Roger

Er.. I don't really think 'medical tools' and 'DIY' are two things that should really go together.

I dread the dentist enough without one going; "Yep.. built this in my garage this weekend.. Open wide now.."

Last edited:
Reactions: Ash
:crackup:

Don't feel like you could legally use a DIY tool & even if you can your malpractice insurer will not be happy.

Last edited:
O.K. guys, here's the deal... The FDA only certifies medical instruments to be sold by dealers. As a licensed practitioner, you can use any instrument you want in your own practice, it does NOT have to be FDA approved.

Many of the leading physicians, surgeons and dentists routinely use instruments of their own design. The safety and efficacy of these instruments is left in the hands of the doctor, not the government (thank God!).

I am not looking for some cobbled together kitchen equipment, rather a sophisticated laser device (like the many I have seen made on this site) that I can use in a safe and effective way.

Can anyone assist me?

Thanks!

Roger

To me it still sounds like a malpractice lawsuit just waiting to happen. So i'll have to pass.

qumefox, it is of course your choice whether to help me or not, but please, do not confuse that with malpractice. If indeed there is ever a patient who accuses me of malpractice, that accusation is on me, and me alone. For what it's worth, I have never nor would I ever do anything to harm a patient. I took an oath to "do no harm", that is an oath I live by., no matter what. If you or any other member fear retribution, then by all means pm me with the details, and any and all information will be kept confidential.

Ash

I am not looking for some cobbled together kitchen equipment, rather a sophisticated laser device (like the many I have seen made on this site) that I can use in a safe and effective way.

Can anyone assist me?

Thanks!

Roger
Sure Roger.

Take a look at the following +2W 808nm lasers. A few of which are actually FDA-compliant (with the required safety features).
3W 808nm
2W 808nm
2W 808nm baseball bat
2W 808nm (untrusted seller)
switchable 600mW/1400mW/2W 808nm (untrusted seller)
2W 808nm (overpriced)
There are more, but I'm not gonna' list them all. :yabbem:

Last edited: