Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Kit Available!! IMAGE HEAVY

TO CLEAR ANY CONFUSION, MY "KITS" INCLUDE A FLASHLIGHT BODY, AND ALUMINUM PARTS. NOTHING MORE. NO ELECTRONICS, NO DIODES, NO MODULES, NO LASERS. PERIOD.

This is the new kit I finished today. I guess this can also be considered a tutorial of sorts. Because everything has to fit together perfectly, I had to make it into a working laser to be sure all the parts worked correctly and that it focused properly.

This kit uses 1x18650 battery and is intended as a 1w 445nm host.
What makes this kit so special is the fact that the entire head spins to focus the laser!!!

Pictures and narrative!
This is my 1w 445nm diode. I attached silicone wire leads from Flaminpyro. These are almost required as you'll have to mash everything together at the end, and need flexible wires!
3799-1.jpg

-
It gets dirty when you use a soldering iron tip to shrink the tubes :D
3800-2.jpg

-
This is the heat sink next to the module. The lip at the top will slide into the stock "pill" from the host and they will be glued together. This host has 1 set screw to hold your module in place.
3801-3.jpg

-
Here it is with the module inserted and locked down with the set screw.
3802-4.jpg

-
This is the stock pill that held the original flashlight driver and LED. I drilled a hole above the thread for the negative input wire from the microdrive. The wire will be fed out and be squished between the pill and the host.
3803-5.jpg

-
This is the stock driver stripped of it's components. The positive input wire from the microdrive will be soldered to that center golden hole to make contact with the 18650 positive terminal. Ignore the comment about the side of it...i wasn't thinking and that won't even be used.
3804-6.jpg

-
This is the side that makes contact with the 18650 battery. The spring will ensure even the flat top 18650 batteries will work.
3805-7.jpg

-
Here is the focus ring. The top of it is what you will see when you look at the top of your laser.
3806-8.jpg

-
This is the bottom side of the focus ring. As you can see, it's beautiful and threaded to fit an aixiz lens (Also works with jayrob's g-1 lens)
3807-9.jpg

-
Here it is again with the lens screwed in....
3808-10.jpg

-
Here we have the microdrive with leads attached to the diode. Silicone wires are awesome!!
3809-11.jpg

-
Next we feed the wires into the stock pill. The negative wire comes out the hole i drilled in the side. The positive is fed through through to the other side.
3810-12.jpg

-
Then i realized i should cover the driver with some electrical tape to be safe...
3811-13.jpg

-
Okay with the driver taped and the leads fed through the stock pill, we slide the heat sink and pill together.
This is the point where you put some glue on the lip of the heat sink and glue them together. Preferably arctic silver thermal glue. I only had epoxy on hand though..... so i used epoxy...
3812-14.jpg

-
3813-15.jpg

-
Once your glue dries, Strip the negative wire and cut it so that there is just a little bit of exposed wire coming out of the side hole. Then trim and solder the positive wire to the PCB board. Press the board into place.....
3814-16.jpg

-
Screw the pill into the host. The exposed negative wire will get pinched between the host body and the pill, giving you your negative input. This is just to make sure your laser functions......
3815-17.jpg

-
I also scraped the top of the host body to ensure we get a good connection to the negative wire.
3816-18.jpg

-
Then put it all together!!! But i'll save that part for the Videos below!!
3817-19.jpg

Videos!!!!!!

Video of the laser in action!!!! Assembly is in the next video...

This is the kit being assembled once your pill is done!!!

This laser is probably the coolest i've ever handled. you've got to admit the focusing head is awesome!

This kit is going to be available for $30 shipped very soon.
"KIT" means a flashlight body, a heat sink and a focus ring in this case.

I was hoping to offer it at a lower price but this kit is very time consuming. Maybe once i get a rhythm for it i can offer them for lower, who knows.
Luckily my source of these hosts ships from the USA so shipping time is only 3 or 4 days instead of months like DX.

I'm trying to do some pre-orders to get these available to everyone quicker.
If your interested in one, visit the link below.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/pre-order-new-445nm-kit-56236.html

Last edited:

Kevlar

Re: New 445nm Kit Available!! IMAGE HEAVY

Holey double jointed thumbs batman!!! J/K Nicely done Moh!! :beer:

Any burn holes on that chair? ;)

That focusable head is very inivative!! And once again, you deliver it to us for a VERY reasonable price.

Another great one Moh.

not too innovative. Right after i found this host, i found one almost identical already being sold by jayrob.
His body and tailcap seem to be different though.

cd520

Well done Moh!! Similar to the one I have with slightly different contours.

Stupid question, but I just want to confirm, with the Micro Boost or the Flex Drive, if you've got one, can't you just solder the case pin to the negative in pad of the driver and avoid the whole drilling into the heatsink and pinching the wire thing?

Benm

Thats pretty cool, but its nowhere big enough to run a 445 at full power continously. I like the full-diameter focussing heat though, thats a very nice thing to have.

Any chance you can do these with the non-rotating part as a bigass finned heatsink instead of just a short cilinder?

Prototype, I was concerned about getting a case negative connection since it would have to go through that pill, and into the heatsink (of which the two are glued together) The glue will probably make a bad connection so i went with getting the connection from the pill.

Benm, driven at 1 amp with a micro drive, this host has about a 2 minute run time before you start to feel heat from the host.

Please help me, I have some Driver understanding problems.

I used to work with this driver: Adjustable laser diode driver circuit(assembled)Red or Blu-ray! - $15.99 : Modwerx Shop
which has a voltage drop of 2,25 volt :mad:

Now you use a Microboost Driver - doesnt that thing have a voltage drop too?
How high is the voltage output of the battery you use?
And on what voltage are you running the diode?

Prototype, I was concerned about getting a case negative connection since it would have to go through that pill, and into the heatsink (of which the two are glued together) The glue will probably make a bad connection so i went with getting the connection from the pill.

Benm, driven at 1 amp with a micro drive, this host has about a 2 minute run time before you start to feel heat from the host.

Thanks for clarifying that :thanks:

This is the new kit I finished today.
This kit is going to be available for $40 shipped very soon.
I was hoping to offer it at a lower price but this kit is very time consuming. Maybe once i get a rhythm for it i can offer them for lower, who knows.
Luckily my source of these hosts ships from the USA so shipping time is only 3 or 4 days instead of months like DX.

As a US citizen you've not considered two things. (a) this a a gross violation of federal law. (b) you have not the slightest idea whom reads this forum do you. Personally I have not the slightest problem with this offer for sale laser kit. However, the federal government feels differently and just might make an example of you. They might be nice and send you a letter demanding you stop or they might say let's nail this guy. So if you do actually sell product you are playing with fire. But all is not lost. There is one way to keep yourself from behind the 8 ball - incorporate all of the required FDA safety features.

Good luck to you.

As a US citizen you've not considered two things. (a) this a a gross violation of federal law. (b) you have not the slightest idea whom reads this forum do you. Personally I have not the slightest problem with this offer for sale laser kit. However, the federal government feels differently and just might make an example of you. They might be nice and send you a letter demanding you stop or they might say let's nail this guy. So if you do actually sell product you are playing with fire. But all is not lost. There is one way to keep yourself from behind the 8 ball - incorporate all of the required FDA safety features.

Good luck to you.

Uh...he's not selling completed lasers, just hosts and heatsinks, he's dealt with the FDA before concerning selling lasers.

Good luck to you.

I don't believe I am in any violation of any federal regulations. I do not sell lasers, plain and simple. I sell a flashlight with two custom fabricated aluminum parts.
It's up to whoever purchases this and creates a laser out of it to ensure that it is in compliance with FDA 21CFR, section 1040.10 and 1040.11 for complete laser products.

I don't think you read the thread completely before accusing me of violating these regulations. Please be sure to word your comments more carefully next time.

I honestly don't believe I am violating any regulations. Should an agent from the FDA come to visit me, i'll happily invite them into my workspace to have a look around.

Because of problems in the past, I have kept strict rules about what I sell. I won't even sell a flashlight with a driver in it, as that seems too close to the line. The images you see above are a personal build for myself. I do not sell these, nor do i take them out into public. In fact, they are usually disassembled shortly after creating them.

While we're on the subject, why are you even sending that post to me? Not saying anything about anyone else here....but there are plenty of other people selling actual lasers.

Furthermore, I looked it up and still stand behind m position of innocence.
(a)Applicability. The provisions of this section and 1040.11, as amended, are applicable as specified to all laser products manufactured or assembled after August 1, 1976, except when:

(1) Such a laser product is either sold to a manufacturer of an electronic product for use as a component (or replacement) in such electronic product, or

(2) Sold by or for a manufacturer of an electronic product for use as a component (or replacement) in such electronic product, provided that such laser product:

(i) Is accompanied by a general warning notice that adequate instructions for the safe installation of the laser product are provided in servicing information available from the complete laser product manufacturer under paragraph (h)(2)(ii) of this section, and should be followed,

(ii) Is labeled with a statement that it is designated for use solely as a component of such electronic product and therefore does not comply with the appropriate requirements of this section and 1040.11 for complete laser products, and

(iii) Is not a removable laser system as described in paragraph (c)(2) of this section; and

So from what I can make out of this scrambled information that that the only thign i'm required to do is to provide a statement with this product that it is an OEM product and does not comply with FDA 21CFR, section 1040.10 and 1040.11 for complete laser products.

But as far as i can tell, i'm not in violation of anything. If i'm wrong please clarify it for me, because getting into trouble is the last thing i want for myself.

May i ask steve, who are you anyways? I would assume your from PL?

Last edited:

I don't believe I am in any violation of any federal regulations. I do not sell lasers, plain and simple. I sell a flashlight with two custom fabricated aluminum parts.
It's up to whoever purchases this and creates a laser out of it to ensure that it is in compliance with FDA 21CFR, section 1040.10 and 1040.11 for complete laser products.

I don't think you read the thread completely before accusing me of violating these regulations. Please be sure to word your comments more carefully next time.

I honestly don't believe I am violating any regulations. Should an agent from the FDA come to visit me, i'll happily invite them into my workspace to have a look around.

Because of problems in the past, I have kept strict rules about what I sell. I won't even sell a flashlight with a driver in it, as that seems too close to the line. The images you see above are a personal build for myself. I do not sell these, nor do i take them out into public. In fact, they are usually disassembled shortly after creating them.

While we're on the subject, why are you even sending that post to me? Not saying anything about anyone else here....but there are plenty of other people selling actual lasers.

Furthermore, I looked it up and still stand behind m position of innocence.

So from what I can make out of this scrambled information that that the only thign i'm required to do is to provide a statement with this product that it is an OEM product and does not comply with FDA 21CFR, section 1040.10 and 1040.11 for complete laser products.

But as far as i can tell, i'm not in violation of anything. If i'm wrong please clarify it for me, because getting into trouble is the last thing i want for myself.

May i ask steve, who are you anyways? I would assume your from PL?

Good that you know the law.
No, I'm not from PL
Who am I ? I'm just a concerned member. That's all

My mistake. I thought you were selling complete kits. Meaning all parts needed to construct a working laser above 5mw are provided. That includes laser modules above 5mw. The only thing stopping you from offering complete kits are the lack of safety features, they would necessarily need to be incorporated.

Hobbyists aren't required to have safety features on their hobby lasers.
I've seen a few flashaholics offering high powered flashlights for sale over at Candlepower forums.

P.S. Contrary to what some may say and barring local laws there's no federal law forbidding operation of your personal build laser outside. So enjoy your laser outside.

Last edited:
This is a great build host! I'v seen this flashlight before and am glad to see that you've put something together for us all again!

Personally on the legal end of laser enthusiast that steve001 is talking about, it's too bad that the Fed regulates lasers so much....I understand the safety issue(alot of foolish people out there) but allowing 'the people' to create, and have what they need available is the essence of invention.

Good that you know the law.
No, I'm not from PL
Who am I ? I'm just a concerned member. That's all

My mistake. I thought you were selling complete kits. Meaning all parts needed to construct a working laser above 5mw are provided. That includes laser modules above 5mw. The only thing stopping you from offering complete kits are the lack of safety features, they would necessarily need to be incorporated.

Hobbyists aren't required to have safety features on their hobby lasers.
I've seen a few flashaholics offering high powered flashlights for sale over at Candlepower forums.

P.S. Contrary to what some may say and barring local laws there's no federal law forbidding operation of your personal build laser outside. So enjoy your laser outside.

Sorry for snapping too. I just don't want anyone thinking that i am doing anything even remotely against any FDA regulations. My work is now strictly on the lathe....i don't even own a multimeter haha. I had to have dr.lava set my driver for me. I take them very seriously nowadays. After your post I had thought about calling daniel hewitt regarding the issue, but the last time i spoke with him on the phone he wasn't very friendly......

Last edited: