Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New hobby

eztune

Hi everyone here at laserpointerforums. I have been reading threads here for awhile and it drove to the point of purchasing my first green laser. You guys are really very helpful and I look forward to being part of this forum. The good deals here are going to cost me ;D but thats what hobbies do. Ok i am going to go check my tracking numer agian for the thrid time today, I cant wait for it to get here.

Welcome :)

The only problem with the RPL-400 is that in comparison any laser you buy from now on will be too weak :p Focus on getting a nice red burner and a good blu-ray laser instead :)

eztune

Thanks Murudai. Rpl-400 ;D Yeah I went for the big one. I could 'nt pass on the deal. I knew I would regret it it I didnt go for it . I am sure I will be looking into a blue one soon, since there is some good ones on here for sale. But I am trying not to spend my money before I make ;) Let's see how long I can hold out for? Oh to late bught another one this morning.

mmykle

Holly crap!?! 400mW?? I hope you got eye protection for that beast. ::)

eztune

mmykle said:
Holly crap!?! 400mW?? I hope you got eye protection for that beast. ::)

Yeah order some. Sould be here the same day i receive the RPL 400. Is there a way to test the goggles to make sure that they are good? I bought them off ebay and then relized that they mite not be ceritfied? They look just like the ones from Optotronics the red ones with the slots on the sides. $30 shipped, now i am haveing secound thought about if they willl give me protection? Any addvice?

eztune said:
[quote author=mmykle link=1233640815/0#3 date=1233786130]Holly crap!?! 400mW?? I hope you got eye protection for that beast. ::)

Yeah order some. Sould be here the same day i receive the RPL 400. Is there a way to test the goggles to make sure that they are good? I bought them off ebay and then relized that they mite not be ceritfied? They look just like the ones from Optotronics the red ones with the slots on the sides. $30  shipped, now i am haveing secound thought about if they willl give me protection? Any addvice?[/quote]

no idea, i'm very irresponsible and have never owned a pair of goggles........ :( everytime i have enough moeny to buy goggles, i buy diodes instead!

eztune said:
[quote author=mmykle link=1233640815/0#3 date=1233786130]Holly crap!?! 400mW?? I hope you got eye protection for that beast. ::)

Yeah order some. Sould be here the same day i receive the RPL 400. Is there a way to test the goggles to make sure that they are good? I bought them off ebay and then relized that they mite not be ceritfied? They look just like the ones from Optotronics the red ones with the slots on the sides. $30  shipped, now i am haveing secound thought about if they willl give me protection? Any addvice?[/quote]

If you had access to a Laser Power Meter... it would let you know the amount the Goggles
will cut the Laser's beam or how much of the laser's beam goes through the Goggles. :)

Jerry

eztune

lasersbee said:
[quote author=eztune link=1233640815/0#4 date=1233787260][quote author=mmykle link=1233640815/0#3 date=1233786130]Holly crap!?! 400mW?? I hope you got eye protection for that beast. ::)

If you had access to a Laser Power Meter... it would let you know the amount the Goggles
will cut the Laser's beam or how much of the laser's beam goes through the Goggles. :)

Jerry[/quote]
Thanks laserbee. Good idea. Now just have to find someone to the SF Ca. area?

mmykle

I use Novalasers goggles (same as laserglow goggles). They protect against voilet to green wavelengths and have an OD of 7+. While you really only need an OD of like 1 or 2, the extra protection makes me feel safer when burning stuff. I'm not sure if you know how the OD scale works but I think you simply add a decimal and a zero per OD level. For instance 1OD would allow .01% of the laser light through. 2OD would allow .001% of the light through. If I'm wrong somone will correct me.

Heres the link to the glasses I use (I use the sports edition):
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=11

eztune

mmykle said:
I use Novalasers goggles (same as laserglow goggles). They protect against voilet to green wavelengths and have an OD of 7+. While you really only need an OD of like 1 or 2, the extra protection makes me feel safer when burning stuff. I'm not sure if you know how the OD scale works but I think you simply add a decimal and a zero per OD level. For instance 1OD would allow .01% of the laser light through. 2OD would allow .001% of the light through. If I'm wrong somone will correct me.

Heres the link to the glasses I use (I use the sports edition)

From what i have read i belive you are correct. You are useing OD 7+ Can you even see the laser dot?