Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New here

NathanTeo

Hi everyone

I'm from Singapore. I realised there is a lot of contradictory information of lasers and over here the people actually know what they are talking about, so I've decided to join this forum. I've been looking to get a laser for astronomy, likely a 520nm one. What power output for a green laser is recommended to get a clear beam at night? I don't want anything too powerful. Also what do you think of ebay sellers like shadowlasers. I'm not sure if they are very trustable...

Nathan

gazer101

Welcome to LPF! I've never bought anything from shadowlasers but a 50mW green laser should be more than bright enough for star-pointing

Scruffinator3K

Hi and welcome! So just from my experience ebay is hit and miss, but one thing to look at to help determine if a seller should be trusted is their reviews. I recently bought a 303 style "assassin" laser from ebay seller "torchforest1996_2"
They are rated over 98% with over 14k reviews. The products were very cheap but fair quality and I am extremely pleased with the green laser. It does a superb job for astronomy pointing.

Welcome to LPF

In the USA 5mw is the legal limit for pointers however it is your responsibility to know your local laws, that said a 15- 20mw 520nm makes a nicely visible beam at night and 40-50mw is plenty visible but be aware than anything over 5mw can damage eyesight if misused.

Milkeeway

Even a 5mw at night for stargazing is plenty although I don’t know that mine were ever really 5mw lol! They are always more powerful than they say.

^^^ yes 5 mW is enough BUT try finding a true 5 mW-most are much more than 5 mW- the 3$usd green 532 pointer makes much more than 5 mW so try one of those-- just take care--protect your eyes.. although accidents while stargazing are almost non-existent. you may need to know about overheating-- that has killed many lasers-- anytime it feels very warm-you may want to let it cool down --small pointers have almost no heat sinking.

532 is close to the easiest wavelength to see easily.. a 405nm would NOT be a good laser for that.
YOu may enjoy getting a 'trio' of 'pen-pointers' R-G and V -- best I saw was 6$ USD at auction and free ship.

WE have a member here that sells at ebay- he gives us special treatment by binning and sending his best to us.
He is in China so closer to you-- I gave him his LPF username after winning three optics (like prisms) for almost nothing.
at LPF he is KingKube-- IIRC his ebay name is blab 1396?? search ebay for 'KingKube' prism and that is him.. (alan)
Be sure to let Alan know you are LPF member...and that I sent you please.
he also offers two nice 532 in a larger better host and they use a cheaper (in the long run) 18650 battery--both are very well priced.

happy to help any time-- PM me

hak near Houston