Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New guy needs help

cyro44

Hello all, I bought a couple lasers from ebay about 3 years ago, a cheap generic green one for $10 that worked very nicely and the "military kit" 450 nm which was more expensive. lately, after a few seconds I have to tap them because they stop working. Ive swapped batterys, any suggestions ? do these cheaper lasers just die out after a few years ? thanks

It would help to know exactly which lasers you have. The green is likely a 301 or 303 style 532nm DPSS laser. They are mass produced in China for sale there by anyone who wants to sell them. Sometimes you get a dud, as they might mode hop or actually lose power very quickly after being turned on. Since they can be had for as little as $6.00, you should just replace it. Don't have any idea which 450nm blue laser you have.

Encap

Works if you tap them.
Clean all electrical contacts, threads, battery contacts and so on---or just buy some new ones.

GSS

Works if you tap them.
Clean all electrical contacts, threads, battery contacts and so on---or just buy some new ones.
Seems he's not to interested or could be he's been busy as it's going on 3 days since his post.
He also said it doing it with 2 different lasers which could be a "coincidence"??:unsure: or he's tapping them hard

Hi,
You get what you pay for those units are mass produced quality control isn't a major factor to the seller over there. Thats why they charge 6.00/10.00 etc. If it dies for that price many folks won't bother the get it fixed or for a refund . Most time if attempting to recoup your cash from them you will grow old and gray before you get any acknowledgement from them. Good luck anyway ... hope things work out for you.

Rich:)

cyro44

Thank you for the reply’s. I have checked contacts. What’s a trustworthy place to buy decent lasers?

cyro44

Wow.... I think I’ll stick with the same 2 ebays, they last a few years. Work great!! Until they break... however they are indeed inexpensive, comparatively. I’d feel like turd if I lost, or broke an expensive one like those. Thanks for the consideration, you all helped me a lot!

OrangeDragon

With many of the cheap lasers I've previously purchased I've found that the drivers are often very questionable, in that they don't seem to properly provide constant current or do so but just very poorly. In time I've noticed the diodes start to act wierd, they will turn on with less power then seem overpowered for 10-20secs and other times they won't work until I tap them (and I checked contacts and circuit continuity) - which made me think of this post.

Is it only a matter of it working vs not-working and a tap fixes it, or does the brightness of the output vary from time to time?

If your confident the batteries are good and all the contacts (and solder points) are good, it could be something similar in that I suspect the diode or driver is eventually failing.