Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New guy, 10440 300mw red project!

Hi all!
New to this forum, first post actually, so I'm gonna just go for it.
I'm trying a new project.
My host is a RAYZ AAA led penlight.
I didn't like the coated finish, so I put it on my "lathe" (a sherline mini-mill with a lathe chuck on the spindle, and a milling vice for a tool holder) and made it all pretty and whatnot.

img0313kt.jpg

img0310vz.jpg

img0309yt.jpg

The "bore" is 11mm, a wee 1 mm smaller than an aixiz module, so I'm not sure as to a module to hold it and the colimating lens. I might just open the host up to 11.5, and turn the aixiz module down to 11.5, meet in the middle :undecided:.

It is large eanough to accomodate a single AAA battery (which I will replace with a Li-ion 10440), a very unnecessarily large led driver circuit (42mm long) and the led itself sticking out the end.

I want the output to be around 200mw, but I know to be very weary of Ebay diodes (long die, open can, no can, overrated product, defective product, etc) So where can I get a reasonably priced, true spec, 650nm 180-200 (or 300 I suppose)mw diode?

Also, I planned on using a flexdrive, but I stumbled upon this HTV Inferno 2.11 on ebay, which is considerably cheaper (for me) than the flexdrive, and allegedly better suited to the application. Does anybody have any experience with this particular driver? Anybody heard of it?

Any comments, criticisms, questions, concerns welcome, eager to learn! :confused:

Thanks,

Feathers

Thanks Ghostchrome!

I explored modwerx a bit and it seems like a pretty solid, low price place to get these components.

Just have a couple more questions,

Now the lpc-826... Is that a long or short open die (modwerx's picture is a stock photo, and the description says its open die)? I know that the long open die diodes tend to take more ma's, around 420 or so.

I also know that the open die diodes are VERY easy to kill just by breathing on. How do I ensure that I get it in a module safely? Thank god their only $12, This might take a try or two...

Cheers and thanks!

Feathers

I'm not quite sure how to get any eyes on this post, but I am a beginner and could really use some help! I have a couple basic questions:

1: I ordered an LPC-826 Diode. This is a 250-300mw Long open die diode, correct me if I'm wrong please!

2: I have a brass module ready to recieve the diode, but I want to be 100% SURE I don't damage the delicate open and exposed components in the process. I have a shop vice, and a drill press, and have been thinking about using the press-action of the drill press somehow. What is the best and safest way to carry out this procedure?

3: I will be driving this diode at around 200-250mw, and with a 10440, 350mAh Li-ion battery. I am not expecting more than ~10-20 minutes of reasonably powerful runtime out of this before a battery change, Is this estimate even in the ballpark?

4: How hot will the diode get? I am using a 10.5mm brass module, and all the heatsink I will have available is the 15mm pen-style host, with a wall thickness of ~2mm aluminum. Will this be sufficient for short runs? Should I drive my diode more conservatively with this in mind?

Thanks all!

Feathers

Digging this one out of the grave cause its DONE!
Works great, burns like crazy.
DIVERGENCE SUCKS! But expected that from the mitsubishi 635.
Pics soon!

sinner

635 is much brighter so that covers for bad divergence doesnt it!!
yeah post some pics , that would be great!

So I promised pictures about a decade ago, but here they are!

img0036bl.jpg

img0041fv.jpg

img0043jh.jpg

Sorry for the blurr, but I've enjoyed this project!

Lots of internal reflection within the cap of the pen, which makes it extremely bright to look at it from the front.

The battery lasts around 5 minutes, which is longer than I'd expected.

Now go try it!