Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New FOCUSABLE 200mW Red on DX

Benm

Heatsinking could be acceptable in these DX lasers really, as long as there is proper thermal contact between diode and body. The laser isn't that big, but if it warms up by 10 degrees or so, it's not a big problem.

Red lasers just go to a slightly longer wavelength and lower power level when heating up, there are no thermal issues comparable to those in green DPSS lasers.

well, I am not sure if this is good or bad. If its up to spec ~200mW it could put an end to the DIY Red Burner.

That's what you get with bigger productions.. making these casings purpose-built for a laser will likely have better results than modding a flashlight. However, there are still diodes to switch and drivers to hack - its not that big a step from using the prebuilt aixiz modules really.

MarioMaster said:
man DealExtreme just gets better and better- if these are up to snuff i might buy one just for a nice portable high powered red
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm poor at the moment, so I can't part with $50 if it turns out to be bad. But maybe by the time people start reviewing these I will be able to afford one.

iewed

I'm getting so anxious to read a review on this laser it feels like I bought one myself! Anyone want to order one of these with EMS Shipping? ;)

Ahhhh i soooo want to get this, because if i wait until the reviews more than likely it will be on backorder for a year, i just hope something isint going to be wrong with it cause i think im about to order.. i just don't want to miss this offer.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Switch

wooooooolazer said:
Ahhhh i soooo want to get this, because if i wait until the reviews more than likely it will be on backorder for a year, i just hope something isint going to be wrong with it cause i think im about to order.. i just don't want to miss this offer.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D
This is a new item still already tons of people ordered it.I think DX is gonna have an interest in keeping up with these if the reviews are good :p
It's not gonna put an end to the diy laser....but it's definetly gonna put an end to selling diy red burnersif it turns out good...at least most of them :p

iewed said:
I'm getting so anxious to read a review on this laser it feels like I bought one myself! Anyone want to order one of these with EMS Shipping? ;)

I did yesterday!

Mine's still "pending"... And I sure hope that tone1132 lives in a country where EMS parcels don't go through customs. He's likely to get it confiscated. I always use the slow and discreet plane from China myself... ;)

Curiously_Coherent said:
Mine's still "pending"... And I sure hope that tone1132 lives in a country where EMS parcels don't go through customs. He's likely to get it confiscated.  I always use the slow and discreet plane from China myself...  ;)

i live in alaska USA. why would it get confiscated?

tone1132 said:
[quote author=Curiously_Coherent link=1204386353/45#55 date=1204602463]Mine's still "pending"... And I sure hope that tone1132 lives in a country where EMS parcels don't go through customs. He's likely to get it confiscated. I always use the slow and discreet plane from China myself... ;)

i live in alaska USA. why would it get confiscated?[/quote]
It seems that most people that order a >5mW laser and have it sent through EMS express tend to have it confiscated by customs. I've heard that DX sends the laser Air Mail anyway and sends a refund for the shipping.

Oh... thank god!  I just about $h!T my pants..... I ordered over $250 bucks with EMS.  i should research things beforehand.

iewed

I hope your laser doesn't get confiscated, it would be interesting to see if your laser gets to you before the end of the week. If it hasn't shipped yet you could always cancel it, and re-order it (and a True 30mW/ Non-New Wish 50mW if you want to keep the price the same).

So. Everybody wait for the worldwide sigh of disappointment.
These lasers are likely more like 150-130mw and are plainly being overdriven. Look at the pic of the dot. A laser dot is not meant to look like that...

I can sell a 250mw red open can in a DX 5mw green housing for $90 at the moment. PM me for more info if you'd like one. 3 month warranty, runs off AAAs.

Benm

The dot doesnt look abnormal to me, provided that the somewhat orange center of it is just caused by photographic (over)exposure. I'd even say the somewhat oval hotspot is what's expected from diode lasers, the round somewhat ragged outer edge of the dot is probably caused by the size of the focussing lens.

For the power levels we'll just have to see what the reviews tell, DX cant measure it apparently, and there is no other way to tell. Same goes for diode life. They claim a warrantee for a month (or a year, unclear), but you'd have to pay shipping both ways which could easily end up being as expensive as the laser itself.

iewed

Even 130mW-150mW would be pretty good for $50, if the laser lasted for several months. I think as long as it burns matches and pops balloons for $50, people would buy it.

BlueFusion said:
So. Everybody wait for the worldwide sigh of disappointment.
These lasers are likely more like 150-130mw and are plainly being overdriven. Look at the pic of the dot. A laser dot is not meant to look like that...

I can sell a 250mw red open can in a DX 5mw green housing for $90 at the moment. PM me for more info if you'd like one. 3 month warranty, runs off AAAs.

It is almost certain that's the case (given my past experience with things that seem too good to be true) - I'll probably take up your offer if this thing doesn't work. Hope you don't work for Hong Kong post :p