Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New, duh

jp

Hey all, I'm new here (of course, else I wouldn't post in this section)
I'm looking for an easy "do it yourself" to make a laser pointer
I would like it to be powerful enough to be able to see it at daytime, I don't really care color or if it pierces baloon/light match
Keep in mind I know nothing about electricity, so a step-by-step and well explained tut gets a big thanks!

Thank you

Things

well just have a look in the experiment and mods section of this forum, you can make a high powered red laser that can burn, pop balloons and light matches for less than $60! Welcome to the forum! ;)

jp

I'll have a look thanks
I was also wondering, what one do you suggest me doing if:
I wanna be able to point it at living people/pets without hurting them
I wanna be able to see it outside at daytime
Possible, or no heat=no good laser?

No laser above 5mw is safe to point at people or pets, if it gets in their eye they will go blind, A diy red you can clearly see the dot in daylight, If your trying to see the beam in daylight your not going to get anything under 1000 dollors that can do that

jp said:
I'll have a look thanks
I was also wondering, what one do you suggest me doing if:
I wanna be able to point it at living people/pets without hurting them
I wanna be able to see it outside at daytime
Possible, or no heat=no good laser?

If you point a laser at a person or a pet, there is always risk of hurting them. There is no safe way to do so.

If the beam is powerful enough to be seen outside at daytime, it will injure. The power level needed is high enough that it becomes a dangerous laser, guaranteed.

Agreed with that too, but it's worth noting that a DIY red will light matches / burn things, however if you shine it on your hand you will feel very little, as skin diffuses and reflects the red colour rather than absorbing it.