Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NEW DIODES 4.5w "N450"(nm) and 1w "N520"(nm) +...

I was interested in the spot size out of the factory GBall lens, the one you pictured will do best in a module with our conventional lenses, G2,3E,G7,G9...

Some ( not all )[ ....] can be used with the factory GBall lens intact by adding a 3X beam expander, granted you can pull the can/GBall and use a 3 element lens followed by a 3X beam expander...

...I see the GBall's spot size which indicates pulling the cans would be best for these as is the case with most NUBM diodes, the 44 being the exception.

I just wanted to mention that regardless of the factory GBall focus, the "can" can be left on and brought to perfect focus with a simple addition of a 1:1 positive lens set, as if you were going to add a spatial filter.. like (diode)=====> (| ---distance--- |) =========> adjusting the distance between the lenses to being the beam in to focus. If this is done you can also choose to put a pinhole in the focal point between the lenses to make it a spatial filter and get a much nicer beam out of it, or leave it alone for more power. As far as I'm aware, you can use either plano-convex or bi-convex lenses, as long as both lenses are the same. You could probably find two usable lenses with at least a half decent AR coating on them in an unneeded pair of binoculars.

Also instead of using a a 1:1 lens set, simply using a pair of cylinder lenses should allow for the same focus correction after the GBall when adjusting the distance between the lenses, though it may only correct the focus in the fast axis (which may not be a bad thing and result in a really round beam)...someone may know more about this that can chime in.

I just wanted to mention this because you know what will happen if you de-can these diodes.. it may be desired to have a diode life of something more than 100 or so hours ;-)

Aaron

The GBall is an interesting lens, the 25% of 06 diodes that have a good focus make ( on average ) a 1.75 inch wide by 3/8 inch thick bar at 15 feet and with a 3XBE ( really 3.3X ) it makes a 5/8 by 1/8 bar at 20 feet that ignites paper/cardboard and at 50 feet it focuses down to about a 1.25 inch long line that's very thin, maybe 1mm and it burns well, it's a tricky lens, it might be somewhat anamorphic, I don't know, it's also very efficient. At 5 feet it will ignite wood readily when focused to a bright ( as seen through my safety glasses ) tight spot.

Yes, no doubt a cylindrical pair would rein in the rapidly diverging axis. I have used the 6X pair on 44 diodes with a G2 primary and BE that will ignite wood at 25 feet, but this GBall seems non linear somehow and is fun to experiment with along with the beam expander.

There are many variations and it's not just how far it is from the emitter as they all seem to be the same distance from the emitter except the step down can 08 diodes, but the lens grind is apparently different from block to block and the better focused ones are neat with the 3XBE to experiment with, and burn stuff, that's always fun. :D

Last edited:
with a 3XBE ( really 3.3X ) it makes a 5/8 by 1/8 bar at 20 feet that ignites paper/cardboard and at 50 feet it focuses down to about a 1.25 inch long line that's very thin, maybe 1mm

Just to clarify, do you mean that when focused to infinity through the 3xBE you get 5/8 X 1/8 @20ft and when focused to a point at 50ft it's ~1mm X 1.25in? Or are those measurements at 50ft at infinity? I'm trying to figure out if you mean that it's exhibiting "negative divergence" I suppose it would be called in the slow axis between 20 and 50 feet... and if that's what you mean when you say it's nonlinear..

the better focused ones are neat with the 3XBE to experiment with, and burn stuff, that's always fun. :D

Yeah, long distance burning is fun... the way you're focusing the GBall with your BE is using the same principal I was talking about using a 1:1 lens pair, just with your BE the 2nd lens has 3X the FL of the first lens.

You can actually use the same setup (a set of positive fl lenses) to make your own beam expander and make the expansion however high you want.. I was messing around with a focus/zoom assembly from a projector and it turned out that it would focus to infinity with the raw output from an M462 going in to it, so it was essentially functioning as the collimating lens and as a variable expander that put out a perfectly focused 3/4 inch by 1 inch beam that looked simply awesome. I can't imagine how low that divergence figure must be at that high of expansion, maybe someday I'll set it up somewhere with enough area to get a usable measurement after 200 feet or so.

Last edited:
The spot/line sizes are focused to that distance through the 3XBE and I could get a tighter spot if I removed the can and used a G2 primary and cylindrical pair then the beam expander.

But what's so interesting is the seemingly non linear results I am getting using the BE with the factory fixed GBall lens, the divergence is understandable but the line getting tighter ( vertically ) is interesting as that axis is diverging slower but it's still diverging, or it should be except the GBall is affecting it as though it's reducing the divergence rate, that's why anamorphic came to mind. It may just be the focal length, but it's still tricky and fun.

---edit---

Being single element adds a lot, just like the wonderful G7 when using the 3XBE on our MM blues.

Last edited:
Very interesting, it looks like MAYBE someone has retrofitted cans in place of GBalls, BUT, and I say BUT this is just a theory and if my theory is correct then as long as the inert gas backfill is there then it's good news.

I have so many questions and reasoning's I could type paragraphs, but I won't, I will be happy to have a 470nm ish diode that lasts and can be corrected and that is all that matters.

I have searched in everyway possible for info/data sheets as you probably have and all I can do is back track to DTR's site.

Very interesting, it looks like maybe someone has retrofitted cans in place of gballs, but, and i say but this is just a theory and if my theory is correct then as long as the inert gas backfill is there then it's good news.

I have so many questions and reasoning's i could type paragraphs, but i won't, i will be happy to have a 470nm ish diode that lasts and can be corrected and that is all that matters.

i have searched in everyway possible for info/data sheets as you probably have and all i can do is back track to dtr's site.

Yup, I haven't been able to find any datasheets for these either, nor anyone else selling these diodes.. the N465 having the exact same characteristics as the NUBM07E would lend to RedCowboy's theory, though I'm not sure if the N450 has a GBall'd equal.. if there is none, it's possible that these aren't re-canned diodes. I just hope if they are re-canned, it was done in a proper gas environment, lest the re-canning purpose be undermined and the result be in vain.

--edit--

I ran across this, check out DTR's post about halfway down the page. The N450 is perhaps the re-canned NUBM06 he mentions. This appears to be what they are.

https://laserpointerforums.com/f45/ndg7k75t-1w-525nm-98314-2.html

Last edited:
This ad has been up for weeks, look at the notches, they are different, it also has 3 pins.

I can't get a reply from the seller about the divergence.

It could be an image of some 808nm diode and they send out a re-canned 05 or something, but who knows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nichia...587061&hash=item4d4e9b3a77:g:X8QAAOSwKOJYKTZW

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
For that price, I would want it to be close to the NDB7875 in its divergence. That is one expensive 445nm diode.

Here's a 9mm diode with those 2 close notches facing the center of the 3 pins just like the other and the wide window, it's a 1w 808nm.

Maybe that's what they are using as a pic ?

I bet if you bought that you would get a nubm41 or nubm42 with GBall removed and a replacement can stuck on it.

I theorize this because they won't answer questions or give much detail, they did tell Alaskan the price they paid was high and that's why their price is high..... so maybe.... they got screwed on some re-canned 41 or 42 GBall diodes and are hoping to pass them along and play dumb.

They have 1 sale on their feedback and the positive feedback reads " Thanks a lot! "

p.s. Their price was 199 now it's 219 so it smells like a recovery effort, I'm not curious enough to throw 219 dollars at it, also their pic 2 posts above is a clean pin diode, a clean 3 pin diode....and they wont respond to my questions at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QSI-QL80T4...695380?hash=item2c78c45b54:g:abkAAOSw3mpXMZL1

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Good for you. I wouldn't touch it either under those conditions. I wonder if they have sold any? I would hope not.

42 looks like 08 by another name, I have been buying 06's for 30 dollars a pop at auction, don't know what I'm going to do with them.
Big blue flashlight?

What are you doing with them lol?
I want one of those N465s but at 130...not yet ;)