Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Defense Contractor Baby!

Switch

3) It's not the former Soviet Union, or current Soviet Union. I don't see the difference with Putin running the show. He's old school corrupt communist KGB. Furthermore they don't have the money. The gangsters have the money.

Wouldn't have been my first guess , it was just a russian reversal joke ;D

But it is gonna be green right? And I wonder, however unlikely , what if they have orange goggles? :-/

Ace82

Switch said:
3) It's not the former Soviet Union, or current Soviet Union. I don't see the difference with Putin running the show. He's old school corrupt communist KGB. Furthermore they don't have the money. The gangsters have the money.

But it is gonna be green right? And I wonder, however unlikely , what if they have orange goggles? :-/

I thought about that too, but even 500mW of 532 that blast your entire body wouldn't really protect your eyes with safety goggles... It would be like trying to shoot at the sun (while it's traveling ~300mph or faster) while wearing sun glasses. Remember, they're looking at the source, can you imagine that thing at night? :eek: :eek: :cool:

Switch

Ace82 said:
[quote author=Switch link=1233076470/0#16 date=1233163288]

I thought about that too, but even 500mW of 532 that blast your entire body wouldn't really protect your eyes with safety goggles... It would be like trying to shoot at the sun (while it's traveling ~300mph or faster) while wearing sun glasses.  Remember, they're looking at the source, can you imagine that thing at night?  :eek: :eek: :cool:[/quote]

Well if they get the right OD it will appear just the right brightness to easily see where it is and be able to look comfortably at it.

Ace82

Switch said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1233076470/0#18 date=1233164471][quote author=Switch link=1233076470/0#16 date=1233163288]

I thought about that too, but even 500mW of 532 that blast your entire body wouldn't really protect your eyes with safety goggles... It would be like trying to shoot at the sun (while it's traveling ~300mph or faster) while wearing sun glasses.  Remember, they're looking at the source, can you imagine that thing at night?  :eek: :eek: :cool:[/quote]

Well if they get the right OD it will appear just the right brightness to easily see where it is and be able to look comfortably at it.[/quote]

Are you sure?  I don't think I'm going to go home and find out!  ;D

Maybe there should be 2 lasers with different wavelengths, but I'm sure thats just a bit over the top.

Add: Not to mention, can you imagine in battle "oh crap here comes a plane, better put on my laser safety goggles'

Benm

Add: Not to mention, can you imagine in battle "oh crap here comes a plane, better put on my laser safety goggles'

Well, if such lasers are used often to temporarely blind combattants, i wouldnt take long for oppossing forces to take safety glasses (and retroreflectors...) as a precaution.

Razako

Stuff like this would probably be used vs the poor arabs in the middle east who can't afford/don't know what lasers are.

[quote author=FrothyChimp link=1233076470/0#13 date=1233161780]1) It's definitely not an AC-130 gunship. Their attack envelop is a circular left banking pattern at 10,000 feet AGL. And for giggles it's not the A-10 either. A quick burst from their GAU-8A vaporizes small arms threats. Furthermore, the A-10 can take the pain and fly home. I've seen A-10s hit with 23mm anti aircraft fire and small arms with large pieces missing land without incident.

I'm thinking helicopter, not really sure though. Maybe something like the Apache/longbow? Although they can very easily just return fire from their nose gun to anywhere in their field of view. Maybe transport helicopters? Not sure.

Either way, it's an awesome idea of a system. And something that, if it works well, not only is it supremely cool, but I bet they'd be buying a lot of them too.

Coherent said:
Stuff like this would probably be used vs the poor arabs in the middle east who can't afford/don't know what lasers are.

Keep in mind that every culture in the mid east is not Arab. Furthermore, there are many highly educated middle eastern persons as well as those with exceptional common sense. It's really no different than anywhere else. Those, however, that tend to take the Jihadist approach don't really care about personal safety as they operate for the cause and the promises awarded in the afterlife. They are the true believers. Many, before they engage in active combat, get junked up on stimulants and lose that fear of death. These are the people that such denial weapons will be used on. Deny him the opportunity to fire that AK-47 or RPG-7 while Brit Sorensen from the SAS pops him a new ***hole right in the forehead.

Every weapon has its intended uses. There is no such thing as a weapon that cannot be countered.

Wait a second, this system is not necessarily for the US, right? Hmmm, as far as A/C options, I was thinking if not the A-10, then probably something like a UAV such as the Predator....But dont quote me on that, im only guessing. Im assuming the key details are classified, so im going to stop guessing now. lol, although this whole system is so freakin' interesting! I never did like that horrible name though---> laser "dazzler"...they should have come up with something better.

Benm

Coherent said:

Oh well, low tech folks can get very inventive sometimes.

I remember from the balkan war that they figured out how to operate microwave ovens with the door open, which proved to be excellent decoys for attracting radar-seeking missiles.

Dazzler sounds like a nice name btw.. if you call it 'the blinder' you can count on the UN getting very angry before the first test ;)

spikec

Nope, wouldn't be for a UAV as they fly way out of the small arms envelope. If it's for a US tactical weapons system, helicopters are the only CAS asset that would be flying down low since we have complete air superiority (allowing Hogs and Vipers to do their work from far above). It would be a great thing to have if you were flying a Cobra, Apache, V-22, etc. or esp. a support helicopter as small arms are the biggest threat. If I were to bet I'd guess more along the lines of a spec. ops helo - Little Bird or Pave Low maybe. At night, once you turn the thing on you become an easy target to someone whose eyes didn't get 'jammed' by the laser. Just my .02 as a former A-10 driver.

Anyway, hope the contract works out for you!

Spikec, wouldn't it be funny if I passed you a 9-line at some point in the past, lol. (former 275/1C4)

Benm

At night, once you turn the thing on you become an easy target to someone whose eyes didn't get 'jammed' by the laser.

Dont forget the IR filter either - leakage might attract stinger missiles ;)

Look what showed up today:

MIL-STD-704F.jpg

MIL-HDBK-704-8.jpg

I guess they are serious.

Wow, you've not signed an NDA yet? If they forget the NDA, blueprints to a 7W green pointer would be well received by me ;)

I'm presuming that's going to be a very demanding IR diode pumping that? Won't the vibrations knock the crystals out of alignment?